Largest Convention Centers

Guest donaltopablo

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know KC's Bartle Hall has 400,000, and will soon be boosted up 135,000 square feet. Plus a 40,000 sq. ft. ballroom.

And the American Royal has 627,000. (located in the West Bottoms)

Plus a new Performing Arts Center is proposed for south of Bartle Hall and the planned Expansion.

aerial_copy_3.jpg

Of course, nowhere near those top 5 you listed

I think Detroit's is around 850,000, although I could be wrong. I'll look up the actual number later if I get the chance.

From http://www.cobocenter.com :

"COBO Conference/Exhibition Center is Michigan's World Class meeting and convention facility. The 2.4 million square foot complex, located on the bank of the Detroit River, is the centerpiece of downtown Detroit's Civic Center."

Oh sh*t i was way off the Hawaii Convention Center is 1.1 Million sq feet :P

Hawaii Convention Center

Hawaii.jpg

Quick Facts:

Total space: 1.1 million sq. ft.

Lobby: 35,000 sq. ft.

Exhibit Hall: 200,000 sq ft. with drive-in floor access.

Total meeting space: 149,768 sq. ft.,including a 35,990 sq. ft. grand ballroom and 107,000 sq. ft. of meeting-room space (consisting of 47 rooms and two theaters). 10 executive meeting rooms with views. 2.5 acre landscaped rooftop terrace.

Kitchen: 20,000 sq. ft.

I'll edit my other post too!

From http://www.cobocenter.com :

"COBO Conference/Exhibition Center is Michigan's World Class meeting and convention facility. The 2.4 million square foot complex, located on the bank of the Detroit River, is the centerpiece of downtown Detroit's Civic Center."

LOL. Maybe it was 850,000 before it was renovated. Either that or I have totally lost my mind, which wouldn't surprise me either.

They measure convention centers by footprint, total floor space, and largest single room, so it's hard to make comparisons. The new one just opened in boston is around 2.5 million sqft total. The old hynes (which is still in operation) is 850,000 sqft total.

Guest donaltopablo

The list is based on "prime exhibit space". But you are correct, Tocoto, you can measure total sq footage of the facility, largest single room, etc. Each one carries a certain significance too.

For example, Atlanta (listed with 1.4 million) is only the exhibit space. Total space is just a hair under 4 million (3.9 million). So when determing where your cities convention center ranks, at least compared to this list, use the exhibit space, not total space.

Isn't Orlando expanding again?

I'm sure the top 5 if not 10 or 15 are in some constant state of expansion or planned expansion.

It would also be interesting to see total convention space by metro.

I'd imagine Vegas would still be on top.

Mandalay Bay by itself might outpace a lot of US metros.

Miami has a few small convention centers throughout the metro, with the Miami Beach one the largest, but it pales in comparison to the above. However, most of the hotels have a convention/ballroom space.

• 7 months later...

Nashville's convention center is a whopping 1,180,000 square feet...WHOOPS!!! Make that a whopping 118,000 square feet.  :blush: However, a new convention center that is proposed will be about 400,000 square feet.  :D  But that's still not very big.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

don't forget that we also have the opryland hotel. i'm not sure the actual number on it, but i know it's pretty big.

I forgot about that. Last time I heard it actually was about 500,000 square feet, which would bring Nashville up to a total of about 900,000 square feet of convention space. Not too bad for us, I guess.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it's a shame it's not close to downtown. and the only way to get to it is that horrible thing known as briley parkway. beautiful hotel though.

I found these facts about the Orange County Convention Center:

"For trade shows and conventions, the International Drive Resort Area sets the standards with the evolution of the nation's second largest meeting facility in the country - the award-winning Orange County Convention Center.

A multitude of event options are available in two beautiful facilities for a combined offering of:

2.1 million square feet of exhibition space

Two 92,000 square foot general assembly areas

74 meeting rooms/235 breakouts

2,643-seat theater

160-seat lecture hall

A 62,000 square foot multi-purpose room

Three full service restaurants/8 food courts

4 business centers

In-house electric, plumbing, utilities and technical services

Internet and telecommunications services, plus, wireless mobility throughout the facility

3 covered loading docks/173 truck bays

On-site parking for 6,227"

Archived