Why The Medical Mart and MCC Are So Important

MTSUBlueraider86

The following article tells how Houston Texas has diversified from its oil roots and is now considered an international city with continuous international flights direct to Asia and a growing ethnic population. This shows how it can turn around from the depressed Houston of the 1980's to an expansive economy today. In case you were wondering, those former empty office towers are now getting full and universities like Rice are leading the way for a new international Houston.

Can this ever happen in Nashville? Can we be known for more than country music and sports? Will our medical, educational, banking, and business climate grow significantly to make us an international city?

Its a good read:

http://americancity.org/buzz/entry/2629/

BR86

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The following article tells how Houston Texas has diversified from its oil roots and is now considered an international city with continuous international flights direct to Asia and a growing ethnic population. This shows how it can turn around from the depressed Houston of the 1980's to an expansive economy today. In case you were wondering, those former empty office towers are now getting full and universities like Rice are leading the way for a new international Houston.

Can this ever happen in Nashville? Can we be known for more than country music and sports? Will our medical, educational, banking, and business climate grow significantly to make us an international city?

Its a good read:

http://americancity....uzz/entry/2629/

BR86

A fascinating article and a strong find, BR86. Good work.

It's amazing how Houston's Asian population has grown since 1980. Apparently, the Rockets wanted Yao Ming, in part, because of the city's large Chinese-American community.

WW

I definitely think Nashville will and is on the way to becoming all those things BR86.

Question: wasn't sure where to put this since there has been an explosion of topics since I've been hibernating, but does Nashville have a small conference center in a hotel anywhere?? I know (pretty sure) that Embassy Suites in Cool Springs does and maybe some others in that area. What I am thinking is that I was in Baltimore over the weekend with my wife for a veterinary pathologists conference. It was in the Marriott Waterfront which looks like a new redevelopment area for the city. It had a large ballroom for exhibitions and maybe around 20 presentation rooms at the most. This was a pretty small conference, say, compared to the Joint Propulsion Conference by AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE in Nashville this past summer. I just thought it was interesting since the main conference center was separate and elsewhere. Not sure if a major hotel was part of it, but more than likely there was. This Marriott was pretty tall and several new mid- to -high-rises were built in the area. I'll get some pics up soon. So is there something like this in Nashville (close to downtown) and if not is there a need for one?

I definitely think Nashville will and is on the way to becoming all those things BR86.

Question: wasn't sure where to put this since there has been an explosion of topics since I've been hibernating, but does Nashville have a small conference center in a hotel anywhere?? I know (pretty sure) that Embassy Suites in Cool Springs does and maybe some others in that area. What I am thinking is that I was in Baltimore over the weekend with my wife for a veterinary pathologists conference. It was in the Marriott Waterfront which looks like a new redevelopment area for the city. It had a large ballroom for exhibitions and maybe around 20 presentation rooms at the most. This was a pretty small conference, say, compared to the Joint Propulsion Conference by AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE in Nashville this past summer. I just thought it was interesting since the main conference center was separate and elsewhere. Not sure if a major hotel was part of it, but more than likely there was. This Marriott was pretty tall and several new mid- to -high-rises were built in the area. I'll get some pics up soon. So is there something like this in Nashville (close to downtown) and if not is there a need for one?

I can answer this one. Most major hotels with at least 400 rooms will have meeting space. the amount of space they have is usually predicated upon the number of rooms in the hotel. The new Omni will have 80,000 square feet of meeting space. Not sure if that is inclusive of their ballroom or not.

Archived