Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

d_Random

Whole Foods to open store in Greensboro

12 posts in this topic

GREENSBORO — Whole Foods plans to open a store in Greensboro, but it won't be until at least 2012, the natural and organic grocer said this week.

Read more

I was hoping for a location closer to downtown but I guess this location demographically makes more sense.

Also seems like Sears will completely remodel its store and expand it a little...

This will be the second grocery store at Friendly Center. The world's largest Harris Teeter is also at Friendly. Most people were hoping for a Trader Joe but Whole Foods is still a good alternative. Maybe Greensboro will get a Traders Joe in another part of the city one day. With the local Deep Roots grocery store that will open downtown, its unlikely we will see a big chain open up downtown. I still would rather have the Fresh Market downtown over Deep Roots. But I'll take any full service downtown grocery store. Greensboro based Fresh Market is really growing. Its expanded into a number of states across the country and is often compared with Traders Joe.

Whole Foods was planning something similar to this at a Lord & Taylor site in Connecticut. I wonder what the new configuration will look like, and if people will cross-shop between the two stores.

Thanks for the update. I see this store will be in part of the Sears building. I sure this isn't a sign that Sears days are numbered in Greensboro.

Pic of new "Sears Plaza" sign, Whole Foods' sign is inverted right now.

post-872-0-38518500-1313679349_thumb.jpg

It would be nice of they reconstructed the outside of the Sears Building. It looks dated and doesn't really fit in with the newer portions of Friendly Center.

^You would think that with this drastic interior renovation to the Sears to add Whole Foods they would at least spruce up the exterior some....someone has got to post pics of this once it's completed....