TCU to join Big East

I read it in the courant.

Its apparently a done deal, with a press release today I think.

This is currently the #3 football program in the nations and a pretty decent basketball school.

I think that its interesting that the conference can even be called the big east :)

but a decent sized texas school wont hurt the football side for sure.

I wonder if the big east will be able to lure any other schools aboard.

what ever happened to that rumor about big east HQ moving to hartford? anyone?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read it in the courant.

Its apparently a done deal, with a press release today I think.

This is currently the #3 football program in the nations and a pretty decent basketball school.

I think that its interesting that the conference can even be called the big east :)

but a decent sized texas school wont hurt the football side for sure.

I wonder if the big east will be able to lure any other schools aboard.

what ever happened to that rumor about big east HQ moving to hartford? anyone?

I think they just decided to stay in Providence. I think it's great that TCU is coming to the Big East for the sake of stability. I think right now they are waiting for a response from Villanova about moving up to FBS and they'll probably stay at 10 teams for a while. I still think the ultimate goal for the league is probably to get to 12 Football schools and either 18 or 20 Basketball schools depending on how it all pans out. I think that Central Florida and possibly Houston, now that TCU is in, are still among the most likely future additions.

I read last week that UMass is seemingly moving up to FBS and joining the MAC for football. I don't think that is really a bad thing for UConn or big time college football in New England. Regarding the Big East I think it will force Villanova to take the plunge and move up since their current FCS conference is starting to lose almost all of it's northeastern schools. I still think that the Big East could add someone else before Nova comes in considering that Nova isn't happening until 2014. I think we should look to add UCF for 2012 when TCU joins and add Houston for 2014 when Nova will be coming in. I would not be surprised if we see an announcement about UCF after bowl season.

i think an eventual UMASS UCONN rivalry would be great.

not only are they both large state schools in New England, but they are also a fairly short drive

I think that Umass should leave A-10 after several years in FBS (MAC) if their program is at all respectable in terms of following. because the basketball school is pretty decent and certainly not an embarassment. yes it would require a lot of "IF's" but in the long term i think that would be a nice rivalry.

I hope the big east does a good job bring other schools up in Football, because its the easiest way to make the conference successful and not to keep adding programs to the point where the conference is just unweildly

I think getting Nova up would be a great start, but maybe push depaul as well, there are 20000 students on that campus

i think an eventual UMASS UCONN rivalry would be great.

not only are they both large state schools in New England, but they are also a fairly short drive

I agree 100% that they would make a great natural rival although I selfishly hope that they always stay a step behind UConn. Like a little brother type of rivalry.

I think that Umass should leave A-10 after several years in FBS (MAC) if their program is at all respectable in terms of following.

The A 10 is a much better basketball conference then the MAC so I don't see that happening. I could see them eventually moving up to C-USA for all sports if they are competitive in the MAC.

I think getting Nova up would be a great start, but maybe push depaul as well, there are 20000 students on that campus

I read that DePaul and Providence are the most averse to adding new members, likely sensing that they could be pushed out. I think that DePaul is on the short list of schools that will get the axe if need be. I'm not a fan of having them in the conference even though they are in the great market of Chicago. They just aren't that good and don't seem to have any sort of national following.

I hope the big east does a good job bring other schools up in Football, because its the easiest way to make the conference successful and not to keep adding programs to the point where the conference is just unweildly

Unfortunately I think they will have to trim some of the fat at some point. 12 and 18 seems workable but 12 and 16 may be ideal. If we get to 12 FB schools by adding TCU, UCF, Houston, and have Nova come over that puts us at 19 and maybe only DePaul gets the axe. However I read that DePaul and Providence both threatened to leave if they keep adding teams so I wouldn't be surprised to see those two leave along with Seton Hall. The only non FB schools I really care about keeping are Georgetown, Notre Dame, Marquette, St. Johns for the history and NYC presence and Villanova if they don't upgrade. I wouldn't really miss Providence, DePaul, or Seton Hall.

The A 10 is a much better basketball conference then the MAC so I don't see that happening. I could see them eventually moving up to C-USA for all sports if they are competitive in the MAC.

sorry to confuse. I mean they would leave MAC for Big East if their football program does at all well. I meant to imply that Umass basketball could hit the ground running in most sports since they are a big state school and have good programs in most sports. so if their football team does well and brings fans, the Big East might be the right place for them in 5-10 years

any basketball schools that would leave Big East, especially Providence would be quick to join A-10 (except Depaul due to geography.

Archived