Scaleybark Station Area Projects

kermit

Yay, more people behind a 6 foot tall masonry wall accessible only by gates with only a 15 minute train ride to uptown in a private community devoid of connectivity.

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 3.40.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 3.44.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 3.44.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 3.44.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 3.44.07 PM.png

Edited by Guest

Ugh. Very very suburban. Guess the developer feels a bunch of white people with six figure incomes won't buy a townhome in a census tract that is 86% black and within 300 feet of a Family Dollar without giant gates. Basically says they aren't even going to try to be a part of the existing community on that side of South Blvd. 

Edited by CLT2014

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems to me there are plenty of units that face directly to the street with street side parking. The only brick fence I see, separates it from industrial usages and the private streets are gated.  If anything it will prevent people from parking in their complex to ride the train.  

21 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems to me there are plenty of units that face directly to the street with street side parking. The only brick fence I see, separates it from industrial usages and the private streets are gated.  If anything it will prevent people from parking in their complex to ride the train.  

I tend to agree - this layout doesn't bother me much. Both Clanton and the to-be-extended Tryclan Dr get townhouse stoops and on-street parking, and it looks like they're leaving the prime South Blvd facing land for some other use.

They should consider making that internal alley 1-way, though. They could loose a lot of paving. 2-way really isn't giving that much benefit.

Edited by tozmervo

25 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Fair Point by both of you, I guess I didn't think about that. I'm a little less upset now. 

16 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I tend to agree - this layout doesn't bother me much. Both Clanton and the to-be-extended Tryclan Dr get townhouse stoops and on-street parking, and it looks like they're leaving the prime South Blvd facing land for some other use.

They should consider making that internal alley 1-way, though. They could loose a lot of paving. 2-way really isn't giving that much benefit.

They probably stuck with the 2-lane internal drive due to the garages.

Are these the Pulte townhomes at Scaleybark station.  I don't really see anything wrong with the plan there are plenty facing the streets and doesn't this back up to Red Clay ciderworks? SouthEnd needs for sale product and not so many rentals who are transient in nature. I am in favor of  for sale product; resident homeowners make a difference in a community. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Are these the Pulte townhomes at Scaleybark station.  I don't really see anything wrong with the plan there are plenty facing the streets and doesn't this back up to Red Clay ciderworks? SouthEnd needs for sale product and not so many rentals who are transient in nature. I am in favor of  for sale product; resident homeowners make a difference in a community. 

I think everyone agrees about the townhouses being needed. Its the only affordable thing in Charlotte right now. Personally I'd like this to have no gate what so ever, and have a street connecting Clanton and Tryclan (a mixture between Tryon and Clanton? Super Original) and townhouses facing both streets as well as the connector street. Theres no need for a gate. I spoke to one of my contacts close to this project, and they said anyone thats going to spend 350-400k on a place is going to want to know their property is safe. While this is true, I still don't know how I feel about it. I Like that a good percentage of the units are facing the street, I just can't get passed the gate. I get that this is a "Pioneer Project" but maybe it should pioneer walkable urban design.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2016 at 3:46 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Yay, more people behind a 6 foot tall masonry wall accessible only by gates with only a 15 minute train ride to uptown in a private community devoid of connectivity.

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 3.40.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 3.44.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 3.44.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 3.44.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 3.44.07 PM.png

Why can't I find these on the zoning site? I searched 2014-2016

On 10/29/2016 at 3:00 PM, KJHburg said:

New Harris Teeter on the site of one of the first Teeter markets in town. Today. Solis apartments rising in the background. Pepsi plant is rubble. 

CAM07083.jpg

Crazy how almost everything in this picture is under construction. How big is the parking lot set to be? Obviously there should be some parking, but I hope it's not too large, big parking lots discourage walkability. One of my biggest complaints about the Publix or Metropolitan complex are that the parking decks are never full to capacity, or even close. IE, a waste of space. 

8 hours ago, nakers2 said:

Crazy how almost everything in this picture is under construction. How big is the parking lot set to be? Obviously there should be some parking, but I hope it's not too large, big parking lots discourage walkability. One of my biggest complaints about the Publix or Metropolitan complex are that the parking decks are never full to capacity, or even close. IE, a waste of space. 

While we've discussed how South may not be the most pedestrian friendly I think the site plan does a good job masking this parking lot.  The street will have retail along the whole site, masking the parking lot.  Here is street level as if you were at Colonial Reserve.

south-blvd-retail.png

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

While we've discussed how South may not be the most pedestrian friendly I think the site plan does a good job masking this parking lot.  The street will have retail along the whole site, masking the parking lot.  Here is street level as if you were at Colonial Reserve.

That does look pretty good, though the design does sort of scream "gentrification" I can't complain too much. Definitely better than the Lowe's and their fake street frontage. 

14 hours ago, nakers2 said:

The Publix decks are all underground though, so the space isn't really wasted? They could get rid of the little side parking lot, but doesn't seem too usable. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wilmore said:

The Publix decks are all underground though, so the space isn't really wasted? They could get rid of the little side parking lot, but doesn't seem too usable. 

Yeah it's underground, and I like that, same with Lowe's rooftop lot, but it's unnecessarily large. When you look at parking, the space it takes up is only part of the equation. SouthEnd has the transportation infrastructure and density (IE, people within' walking distance) to warrant a single level parking deck. Having such a large parking area gives people a reason to drive, thus resulting in more traffic. Look at the Metropolitan, the complex could easily get away with the 5 level deck at Target/BJ's (the roof level is currently closed!) But most people will park in the deck under/beside the office tower, and I often see people drive the short distance across the street because they know they will find parking on both sides, resulting in gridlock during the weekend especially. You don't need a total lack of parking, but you need to make finding a space enough of a commodity that people are willing to "park it and leave it". An aesthetically pleasing 5-6 level deck on the target side with a small parking area (maybe a few dozen spaces) beside the Trader Joe's would make for a much more walkable "Town Centre" type shopping center.

• Like 2

Regarding Publix, I have on many occasions seen both levels full during peak hours.  Sure some people are within walking distance, but I drive from the 7th Street side of Uptown to get there and I am sure others do the same.  Aside from that, in the south people aren't going to carry groceries half a mile when they can much more easily put them in the car.  During the summer, it is miserable enough just to carry groceries up the steps to an apartment.

The parking might have been slightly over built at the Metropolitan, but again I get why people wouldn't want to carry groceries across a fairly busy street to get to a parking garage. The parking deck on the Trader Joe side might not be "full", but I guarantee you it is busy enough that it is hard to get in and out of.  You might also be overlooking that BJs and Petco are still fairly new businesses, both opening within last year or so.  Once/if they are established and busy I am sure the deck on that side of the street will be much more full.  In fact, I noticed Wendy's put up signs reserving certain parking spots for their customers, which was never an issue in the past when I was in that area.

I am all for a more walk-able environment, but I think the critique of these two particular projects might be a bit harsh.  It is not like they have expansive and wasteful surface lots.  Personally I think these two projects are nice additions to a city gradually becoming more and more urban.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

CBJ has a couple of tidbits on the 24 parcel Belton redevelopment. 

When Belton street teardowns sell for $250k+ it means that Scaleybark is finally blowing up.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/11/21/infill-developer-eyes-south-end-residential-street.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2016-11-21&u=jDmEk%2BCKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1479760128&j=76525931

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

The Scaleybark area seems to be on the verge of some type of transformation. But, the elephant in the room is South Gate apartments on Conway. The foot and automobile traffic of course brings life to the area, but (forgive me) due to the "low rent" the type of people associated have brought violence, drugs, fake homeless/ professional panhandling, and trash which has put a cap on property value and the general quality of life. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for affordable housing, but in this case, it's too concentrated and too much of a contrast to the otherwise peacefulness of the area. Heck, there aren't even any sidewalks on the most heavily walked street in the entire area! And Conway is the 1st Street you encounter coming down Scaleybark from South Blvd. I personally think that until Southgate is dealt with the scale or timetable for any substantial change is limited. Am I wrong?

28 minutes ago, NY+SC=NC said:

The Scaleybark area seems to be on the verge of some type of transformation. But, the elephant in the room is South Gate apartments on Conway. The foot and automobile traffic of course brings life to the area, but (forgive me) due to the "low rent" the type of people associated have brought violence, drugs, fake homeless/ professional panhandling, and trash which has put a cap on property value and the general quality of life. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for affordable housing, but in this case, it's too concentrated and too much of a contrast to the otherwise peacefulness of the area. Heck, there aren't even any sidewalks on the most heavily walked street in the entire area! And Conway is the 1st Street you encounter coming down Scaleybark from South Blvd. I personally think that until Southgate is dealt with the scale or timetable for any substantial change is limited. Am I wrong?

I've always thought that once the projects around the station are completed(combined with the OMB area right down the street) the Southgate land would become attractive to a developer. I don't know the acreage, but it is sizable. A bunch of new single family/townhomes would kill right there. I have dreamed of this new development extending Collins Park and having a pool the surrounding neighborhood could join. With the Collingswood Language Academy moving to Tyvola in a few years who knows what can happen.

• Like 1