Scaleybark Station Area Projects

kermit

27 minutes ago, hambone931 said:

I've always thought that once the projects around the station are completed(combined with the OMB area right down the street) the Southgate land would become attractive to a developer. I don't know the acreage, but it is sizable. A bunch of new single family/townhomes would kill right there. I have dreamed of this new development extending Collins Park and having a pool the surrounding neighborhood could join. With the Collingswood Language Academy moving to Tyvola in a few years who knows what can happen.

I agree that I always thought this would be how Southgate transforms.  I moved to this area about two years ago and live on Applegate right by Collins Park, I've never had an issue with the tenants of Southgate at the park.  The post above yours references crime so I am not sure if this was an issue in the past but one I've not really encountered.  For the most part it seems like young hispanic families that live there.  I will agree the units themselves are more of an eyesore for the first thing you see entering the neighborhood but outside of that I've never once worried about those that live in the complex.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kermit said:

CBJ has a couple of tidbits on the 24 parcel Belton redevelopment. 

When Belton street teardowns sell for $250k+ it means that Scaleybark is finally blowing up.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/11/21/infill-developer-eyes-south-end-residential-street.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2016-11-21&u=jDmEk%2BCKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1479760128&j=76525931

Keep in mind that these are all oversized lots, and current in-place zoning will allow for 2 single-family homes per existing lot, so on a lot-basis equivalent, this is more like $125k per parcel.....this allows for homes to be priced in the $450k-$550k range, which is a substantial discount to the new construction going up on Melbourne just 1 street north.

18 hours ago, kermit said:

CBJ has a couple of tidbits on the 24 parcel Belton redevelopment. 

When Belton street teardowns sell for $250k+ it means that Scaleybark is finally blowing up.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/11/21/infill-developer-eyes-south-end-residential-street.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2016-11-21&u=jDmEk%2BCKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1479760128&j=76525931

"South End", huh?  So I guess "South End" is now bordered by 77, 277, half-way between South and Park/Kenilworth, and, oh, I don't know, approx Tyvola.

Edit:  Not that I care, I just think it's funny.  It's also the reality of development marketing and the reach of the Light Rail.

Edited by grodney

4 hours ago, hambone931 said:

I've always thought that once the projects around the station are completed(combined with the OMB area right down the street) the Southgate land would become attractive to a developer. I don't know the acreage, but it is sizable. A bunch of new single family/townhomes would kill right there. I have dreamed of this new development extending Collins Park and having a pool the surrounding neighborhood could join. With the Collingswood Language Academy moving to Tyvola in a few years who knows what can happen.

Collinswood is moving!? I guess an elementary school with trailers facing the street isn't really a good look. A new school and a chance to incorporate the surrounding neighborhood (love the pool idea btw) would be something special indeed. As of right now, the area feels like several  distinctly different  neighborhoods and it wasn't always like that. 

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that a Carvana Vending Machine is planned for the old South 21 site across from the Scaleybark station. I am not terribly familiar with the idea of a car vending machine, but it doesn't seem appropriate across from a light rail station unless it provided some sort of short term rental service. 

2 hours ago, hambone931 said:

It seems that a Carvana Vending Machine is planned for the old South 21 site across from the Scaleybark station. I am not terribly familiar with the idea of a car vending machine, but it doesn't seem appropriate across from a light rail station unless it provided some sort of short term rental service. 

This is what it looks like in Houston but you can build anything there. So not sure what Charlotte would allow. http://www.chron.com/business/retail/article/New-Carvana-tower-aims-to-make-car-buying-fun-10794892.php

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

City Council is set to vote on the Bowers Fibers project this evening: http://charlottenc.gov/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2016Petitions/Pages/2016-098.aspx.  This is on the corner of Yancey and Old Pineville, close to Scaleybark Light Rail and OMB.

Apparently some groups (planning?) are voting against it because it won't allow them to extend some roads in the area to 'improve connectivity'.  While I love connectivity, I also like the idea of reuse, especially in this area.  Plus, we are supposed to be encouraging non-car traffic... (it's within walking distance from the station).  I've seen the renderings, and they are pretty awesome... Outdoor patios on the large loading areas along Old Pineville.  This could be a transformative project for the area. 

I've already called everyone on City Council... any one else have any info beyond what I've heard?  Or have any ideas on what else to do?

I think that this group is the same one working on a mill over in Belmont (can't remember the name), so they are interested in adaptive re-use.

57 minutes ago, VTinCV said:

City Council is set to vote on the Bowers Fibers project this evening: http://charlottenc.gov/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2016Petitions/Pages/2016-098.aspx.  This is on the corner of Yancey and Old Pineville, close to Scaleybark Light Rail and OMB.

Apparently some groups (planning?) are voting against it because it won't allow them to extend some roads in the area to 'improve connectivity'.  While I love connectivity, I also like the idea of reuse, especially in this area.  Plus, we are supposed to be encouraging non-car traffic... (it's within walking distance from the station).  I've seen the renderings, and they are pretty awesome... Outdoor patios on the large loading areas along Old Pineville.  This could be a transformative project for the area. 

I've already called everyone on City Council... any one else have any info beyond what I've heard?  Or have any ideas on what else to do?

I think that this group is the same one working on a mill over in Belmont (can't remember the name), so they are interested in adaptive re-use.

It technically goes against the Scaleybark Station Area Plan. The plan calls for Old Pineville to be rerouted right through the proposed development. I believe I saw in the notes on the rezoning request that the city was willing to work with the developer to leave a place for the road to go through the proposed parking area. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments.  I wasn't thinking of the area plan, but I understand. It does seem like a silly little connector road, but I am glad that Council was able to work though a solution with the developer. It looks like it could be a pretty cool project. Thanks again!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, grodney said:

Old Pineville at Yancy, I presume.

Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/MgZyV5nwBbG2

Yes. This is the project that I was hoping would not get kicked out by City Council for going against the area plan. I've had a conversation with the developer about the project; the covered loading docks on Old Pineville will be covered patios, they are creating interior corridors in order to subdivide the buildings for smaller office space.  Lots of good ideas and nice reuse of existing buildings. Looking forward to it. 

17 hours ago, jwntim said:

That brewery space looks like a great spot for an artisanal brewery ;)

I don't think 20k sf is anywhere where big enough for the ST/Victory space unless they are combining a bunch of the spaces.  Victory's has 200k and 100k sf breweries in PA.  Southern Tiers Pittsburgh satellite brewery is 65K sf.  

It would be big enough for Fatheads though...:tw_grin:

18 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

I don't think 20k sf is anywhere where big enough for the ST/Victory space unless they are combining a bunch of the spaces.  Victory's has 200k and 100k sf breweries in PA.  Southern Tiers Pittsburgh satellite brewery is 65K sf.  

It would be big enough for Fatheads though...:tw_grin:

Its not fatheads. Though I hoped it would be.

36 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

It's not Victory/ST either though, right?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Disclaimer: This shrug means I have no clue what so ever. 

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

I don't believe you.  You sit on a throne of lies! 

HAHA. I hope fatheads goes somewhere closer in. Keep in mind there will be a 21,000 sq foot space with 20 ft ceilings at Atherton.

Edited by Guest

On 1/3/2017 at 2:07 PM, grodney said:

Old Pineville at Yancy, I presume.

Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/MgZyV5nwBbG2

Ely says in this article that construction should start in May with the new development "open" by the end of the year.  That sounds crazy aggressive to me, but if it happens, we might-could hear about the brewery soon, assuming there is one.  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article124823184.html

"

And White Point Partners recently won approval to redevelop the Bowers Fibers facility at Yancey and Old Pineville roads into 75,000 square feet of offices, shops and restaurants. That project should start construction in May and open by the end of the year.

"

• Like 1