Scaleybark Station Area Projects

kermit

• 4 months later...

This continues to be the most disapointing part of town for me. When the Carosell strip club shut down I had hopes of something at least marginally better -- unfortunately it bacame another sweepstakes joint. I guess the building will just fall down eventually....

This continues to be the most disapointing part of town for me. When the Carosell strip club shut down I had hopes of something at least marginally better -- unfortunately it bacame another sweepstakes joint. I guess the building will just fall down eventually....

During the change over they put black leather couches on the curb for some poor soul to take.

• 1 year later...

Sounds like Scaleybark rd will get the East blvd treatment of bumpout curbs, medians, bike lanes and on street parking. Should be a very nice improvement -- the area could really blossom into a great place with the addition of the long-lost Pappas and Crossland projects (including a grocery store) plus some additional neighborhood retail (a restaurant or two at least) on Scaleybark itself (to supplement the existing isolated convenience store)...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/07/24/4186021/cdot-unveils-plan-to-stop-speeding.html

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sounds like Scaleybark rd will get the East blvd treatment of bumpout curbs, medians, bike lanes and on street parking. Should be a very nice improvement -- the area could really blossom into a great place with the addition of the long-lost Pappas and Crossland projects (including a grocery store) plus some additional neighborhood retail (a restaurant or two at least) on Scaleybark itself (to supplement the existing isolated convenience store)...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/07/24/4186021/cdot-unveils-plan-to-stop-speeding.html

I saw in the Colonial Village newsletter that construction is supposed to start in the fall of 2014 and continue through the spring.

Edit: Nevermind, they just sent the text of the link in kermit's post.

Edited by hambone931

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Much to my surprise there are now two CBRE 'coming soon' signs up on the Pappas (?) property. One sign is at the South end of the park and ride lot, the other just north of the vehicle entrance to the park and ride.

The signs are CBRE green, have a phone number and the CBRE logo and say "Coming Soon: Office and Retail"

Much to my surprise there are now two CBRE 'coming soon' signs up on the Pappas (?) property. One sign is at the South end of the park and ride lot, the other just north of the vehicle entrance to the park and ride.

The signs are CBRE green, have a phone number and the CBRE logo and say "Coming Soon: Office and Retail"

That's awesome if they can get this project going.  That area needs a boost and Pappas along with the Rugby Center is a great start.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm excited to see development like this move down the Blue line.  A lot of the criticism that I've heard from average citizens, is that SouthEnd's development would have happened with or without the rail line.  This I think help proves the catalyst the Blue Line has become.

I'm excited to see development like this move down the Blue line.  A lot of the criticism that I've heard from average citizens, is that SouthEnd's development would have happened with or without the rail line.  This I think help proves the catalyst the Blue Line has become.

I still contest that anyone who denies the Blue Line as the major catalyst for South End, does not spend time in South End.  The connectivity to uptown has been a gigantic springboard for development. I agree that when this project is complete, that argument should be completely put to sleep.  This could lead to a lot more opportunists taking advantage of the Scaleybark area and low land value (relative to SE & Uptown).

Edited by MilZ
  • Like 1

Yeah, without LRT, I can't imagine them building this with what seems to look like a good street frontage and mindful of its surroundings.

I would love to see ScaleyBark statistics for boardings after this is complete :)

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

I still contest that anyone who denies the Blue Line as the major catalyst for South End, does not spend time in South End.  The connectivity to uptown has been a gigantic springboard for development. I agree that when this project is complete, that argument should be completely put to sleep.  This could lead to a lot more opportunists taking advantage of the Scaleybark area and low land value (relative to SE & Uptown).

But, but but... these projects were planned all along and their placement has nothing to do with the choo choo line... Said only the delusional. 

Put another way, even if development momentum would lead that type of density and growth, it is irresponsible to zone for that without some alternate transportation infrastructure.   

So even if the chicken did come before the egg, you still need the eggs to get more chickens.  

• 2 weeks later...