Scaleybark Station Area Projects

kermit

Would it be worth saving the oval "Queen Park Multicinemas" portion and the top "QP" portion, without the cool tower?  The tower is a big part of it, no?

The tower was definitely a defining feature, but I don't think the reality of moving that was realistic.  I was hoping that the sign & tower could be moved just off the property to the median or the Scaleybark X South intersection.  With all of the cables and power lines in the area, that seems unrealistic.  I still hope the sign(s) can be saved though, as I would any large sign with that kind of character and story. 

Edited by MilZ

Just got off of Skype with TWC News. Going to be on at 5pm tonight. I made sure to name drop urban planet and our desire to save the world!

Spoke to DH Griffin. Metal is being scrapped for recycling. The sign is in the property owners hands. So focus has now shifted to restoring the sign and funding the rail trail... We tried... Waiting to hear back from Pappas.

Edited by Guest

Update from Pappas! They have salvaged the sign and it is in Storage! There are a number of people who have expressed interest in the sign and they are listening to offers and proposals. 

Just got off of Skype with TWC News. Going to be on at 5pm tonight. I made sure to name drop urban planet and our desire to save the world!

Here is the link for those who missed it(TWC account required for video): http://charlotte.twcnews.com/content/news/709196/group-fights-to-save-landmark-south-boulevard-sign/

Edited by hambone931

It was the location it marked too. The tower alone, relocated, wouldn't be right either.

It's the tower that's the history here.  Those signs were added in in the 1980s when it became a multi-plex cinema.  Pappas is a tool.

Probably changing the campaign to be funding for the rail trail and the refurb of the sign itself. Since Indiegogo will not let me cancel it, womb womp.

• 1 month later...

CBJ has an article breaking down the planned phases of the project. Seems to be a good mix of retail, residential and office.  They are currently actively seeking a tenant to occupy at least 40% of the office space before they can begin construction.  Also they working with CHA to get approval to building 90 affordable units.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/07/pappas-properties-begins-pitching-scaleybark.htmlhttp://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/07/pappas-properties-begins-pitching-scaleybark.html

New renderings of some of the planned retail space.

restaurant-rendering-2*600.jpg

restaurant-rendering-1*600.jpg

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 2

I spoke with someone involved in this project who told me there is a brewery also involved in the design.  These renders appear to concur with that.

Maybe Stone isn't dead after all... This would be a fantastic location after all...

Maybe Stone isn't dead after all... This would be a fantastic location after all...

I spoke with someone involved in this project who told me there is a brewery also involved in the design.  These renders appear to concur with that.

It would be too incredible if it was Stone so I'm not holding my breath.  That said - Go Queen City with the awesome brewery culture that has just taken off!

Unless the entire complex was destined for Stone, there is no way the Brew section of the design is big enough.  I would imagine their brewery would be similar in size to the proposed New Belgium brewery in Asheville +/- 150,000 sq ft.  As a point of reference, the new Olde Meck brewery is in the 25,000 sq ft range.

Unless the entire complex was destined for Stone, there is no way the Brew section of the design is big enough.  I would imagine their brewery would be similar in size to the proposed New Belgium brewery in Asheville +/- 150,000 sq ft.  As a point of reference, the new Olde Meck brewery is in the 25,000 sq ft range.

I think the RFP requested at least 100,000 square feet.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The silence around the big Pappas project is killing me...

On another note, I noticed this morning that some extensive work is being done on a portion of the Highland Mills property which is next door to the new Old Meck (next parcel to the SW on Yancey Street). My initial impression was thta it could just be a partial renovation to the manufacturing space, however it could have also been part of an initial effort to subdivide and create some other uses in the building. Has anybody heard anything?

This once sleepy corner of the Old Pineville triangle is really popping at night thanks to two of the biggest breweries in town -- seems ripe for further transformation.

The silence around the big Pappas project is killing me...

On another note, I noticed this morning that some extensive work is being done on a portion of the Highland Mills property which is next door to the new Old Meck (next parcel to the SW on Yancey Street). My initial impression was thta it could just be a partial renovation to the manufacturing space, however it could have also been part of an initial effort to subdivide and create some other uses in the building. Has anybody heard anything?

This once sleepy corner of the Old Pineville triangle is really popping at night thanks to two of the biggest breweries in town -- seems ripe for further transformation.

Needs better pedestrian infrastructure. Hopefully the city realized this and invests in some sidewalks and streetlights for the area.

I like that it is proposing some office space. That's something we haven't seen much of with all of the new development in South End.

There are 4-5 Office buildings in development in SouthEnd. Though mostly all small infill office.