Scaleybark Station Area Projects

kermit

5 minutes ago, jjwilli said:

Are  they targeting Honeywell with this? Any chance Honeywell goes this far south (from Uptown)?

I have no actual information but I would be _very_ surprised if Honeywell ended up that far from uptown (or possibly some other large office district like SP or Ballantyne)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Yeah I'm ok with the clone of that project. It looks  a little like it belongs outside of BB&T Stadium, but its nice.

That makes me think. Why couldn't BB&T ballpark have been in SouthEnd somewhere... ugh and MLB statdium uptown. 

16 minutes ago, j-man said:

That makes me think. Why couldn't BB&T ballpark have been in SouthEnd somewhere... ugh and MLB statdium uptown. 

My biggest desire for Charlotte is an MLS stadium & mixed use development where Brookhill Village is today (with a corresponding investment in affordable housing).

ON topic:  Can we please collectively kill the "L*S*" name with fire?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, EllAyyDub said:

My biggest desire for Charlotte is an MLS stadium & mixed use development where Brookhill Village is today (with a corresponding investment in affordable housing).

ON topic:  Can we please collectively kill the "L*S*" name with fire?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Charlotte/comments/ak2nh3/whenever_someone_says_loso/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JorgiPorgi said:

Love it. It’s like if Refinery and Railyard had a baby. However, after this, I’m done with this style. We have enough now. 

SPOT ON. I said that to someone today as well. Absolutely SPOT ON

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, tarhoosier said:

Queen Park Drive in Movie sign. Right. There.

haha. Thats got a new home at Queen Park Social. Which I've still somehow never been to

Edited by Guest

Its RDF's Hot Take Time.

I don't like it. I've had a lot of time to digest it and I don't like it. There are aspects of it I like, but as a package the design isn't my favorite. Its certainly better than Pappas, but its incongruous, oddly proportioned, and it seems like it took the best aspects of the RailYard and copy pasted sporadically on an over-scaled corporate office building,  just because its much hotter cousin gets all the compliments. 

Also not a fan that they named it after the single most reviled neighborhood moniker in Charlotte (maybe more than FreeMoreWest). It continues a tradition by Beacon of not being good at naming buildings. RailYard... where was this Rail Yard you speak of? 1616 Center, sounds like a Address, but its not on Center Street. Common Square... named after a Bodega that originated on COMMONwealth and is no where near this site. What's wrong with a normal name? But then again, Stonewall will soon have a Apartment development called "Savoy" open. I wonder if tenants, sitting on their patios will think of the glistening waters of Lake Geneva, as they watch cars wiz by on 277. 

Overall, I'm happy to have a competent developer working on this development. The Blue Line has been a rousing success by a ton of metrics, but this site remaining fallow has been a black eye on the economic development portion of the Light Rail. 

I'd imagine the sale of RailYard is vital to starting this project, though if they have a anchor tenant, maybe they will be able to start sooner than later. This site was always destined to be a corporate park, and I'd imagine it'll become just that. A large tech hub for someone.

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Its RDF's Hot Take Time.

I don't like it. I've had a lot of time to digest it and I don't like it. There are aspects of it I like, but as a package the design isn't my favorite. Its certainly better than Pappas, but its incongruous, oddly proportioned, and it seems like it took the best aspects of the RailYard and copy pasted sporadically on an over-scaled building,  just because its much hotter cousin gets all the compliments. 

Also not a fan that they named it after the single most reviled neighborhood moniker in Charlotte (maybe more than FreeMoreWest). It continues a tradition by Beacon of not being good at naming buildings. RailYard... where was this Rail Yard you speak of? 1616 Center, sounds like a Address, but its not on Center Street. Common Square... named after a Bodega that originated on COMMONwealth and is no where near this site. What's wrong with a normal name? But then again, Stonewall will soon have a Apartment development called "Savoy" open. I wonder if tenants, sitting on their patios will think of the glistening waters of Lake Geneva, as they watch cars wiz by on 277. 

Overall, I'm happy to have a competent developer working on this development. The Blue Line has been a rousing success by a ton of metrics, but this site remaining fallow has been a black eye on the economic development portion of the Light Rail. 

I'd imagine the sale of RailYard is vital to starting this project, though if they have a anchor tenant, maybe they will be able to start sooner than later. This site was always destined to be a corporate park, and I'd imagine it'll become just that. A large tech hub for someone.

Not exactly how I would have skinned it either. My main issue is around the apartments. Not sure how people are going to like living wrapped around what is probably the second busiest Lynx Park & Ride deck. They have also seemed to maximize views of the storm water treatment facility. Don't love a hotel use next to townhomes. Office looks OK. Not sure how hot I am on the private alleys. Affordable housing parcel (which likely won't happen for another 5 years or so I'm betting) conveniently hidden out of sight and out of mind in the back. Still hoping they can turn one of those front parcels into an urban grocery concept.

Overall 6/10, but infinitely better than Pappas plan

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lancer22 said:

Not exactly how I would have skinned it either. My main issue is around the apartments. Not sure how people are going to like living wrapped around what is probably the second busiest Lynx Park & Ride deck. They have also seemed to maximize views of the storm water treatment facility. Don't love a hotel use next to townhomes. Office looks OK. Not sure how hot I am on the private alleys. Affordable housing parcel (which likely won't happen for another 5 years or so I'm betting) conveniently hidden out of sight and out of mind in the back. Still hoping they can turn one of those front parcels into an urban grocery concept.

Overall 6/10, but infinitely better than Pappas plan

Wouldn't they technically HAVE TO make it grocery, since the affordable housing grant requires grocery closer than X # of miles?

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Wouldn't they technically HAVE TO make it grocery, since the affordable housing grant requires grocery closer than X # of miles?

I am not well versed on affordable housing, so can't comment there. Guess it would have to be, although I wonder if the South Blvd HT qualifies?? Also think that the Crosland Center will have a grocer when it gets re-developed.

2 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

I am not well versed on affordable housing, so can't comment there. Guess it would have to be, although I wonder if the South Blvd HT qualifies?? Also think that the Crosland Center will have a grocer when it gets re-developed.

nah I thought it was within a 1/2 mile.