Scaleybark Station Area Projects

kermit

My stepdaughter's objection is that there will be no parking for 18 months!

But other than that, I have no clue why it was rejected.  Her boss may have just started the rumor that it was rejected to stop the employees from complaining about the already too little parking problem from getting worse...

About half of this area is already surface lots. It might be time for folks to drop their infinite-parking mind set and embrace pay lots  perhaps? 

Its not like any business over there is hurting for customers because of bad parking (bad food and liquor on the other hand....)

13373E56-FBEF-427F-9AD1-BC7A59B99277.jpeg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, kermit said:

The majority of these blocks are already surface lots, seems like folks need to drop their infinite-parking mind set. Time for pay lots  perhaps?

13373E56-FBEF-427F-9AD1-BC7A59B99277.jpeg

yes but those parking lots are specific to each company... 

1 hour ago, bigacito said:

My stepdaughter's objection is that there will be no parking for 18 months!

But other than that, I have no clue why it was rejected.  Her boss may have just started the rumor that it was rejected to stop the employees from complaining about the already too little parking problem from getting worse...

I'd imagine they could throw up a precast deck in 3-4 months, and run a shuttle to Scaleybark.

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Yup, and they don’t share (I am looking at you CBI). But I’ll bet no one has done any horse trading yet — that would be much cheaper for everyone than building a deck.

shuttles to Scaleybark are a fine idea, but CATS -really- needs to improve off peak frequencies for that to work well. Trains every 20 minutes might generate  more uber trips than over consumption.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'd imagine they could throw up a precast deck in 3-4 months, and run a shuttle to Scaleybark.

I don't see the need for a shuttle for a 6-8min walk? By the time you waited for it to come you'd be there already.

There are many many people who park uptown and walk 15min to get to their office and pay for the privilege 

There are over 100 free on-street spots in the area without any restrictions, so it would be a few months of a parking crunch but shouldn't be anything too crazy as the offices have different hours than the bars.

1 hour ago, CLT> said:

I don't see the need for a shuttle for a 6-8min walk? By the time you waited for it to come you'd be there already.

There are many many people who park uptown and walk 15min to get to their office and pay for the privilege 

There are over 100 free on-street spots in the area without any restrictions, so it would be a few months of a parking crunch but shouldn't be anything too crazy as the offices have different hours than the bars.

they already have a shuttle to Scaleybark :-)

image.thumb.png.18b8fc79cf62b88e09462dbfcded8298.png

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, King of the Queen City said:

Wonder how many people buy cars on their phones then hop on the light rail to go pick them up?

Every Carvana I have seen in the south or southwest is along the interstate not along a light rail line like this.  It is crazy.  They could not find ONE single location along an interstate highway in this area?  Not along 77,85, 485 etc? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Every Carvana I have seen in the south or southwest is along the interstate not along a light rail line like this.  It is crazy.  They could not find ONE single location along an interstate highway in this area?  Not along 77,85, 485 etc? 

I would have placed it somewhere along 74, which I view as our car dealership district lol.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I would have placed it somewhere along 74, which I view as our car dealership district lol.

Plenty of vacant spots it could have gone in to.  Though access is certainly a problem at a lot of spaces that the 74 expansion blighted. 

2 hours ago, lancer22 said:

Scootered down to Victory this AM to pick up my car (shame) and saw them moving dirt & clearing trees next to the light rail station

So I think this is activity is specifically building a temporary park and ride, so that they can demo the old parking lot, and start building a new parking deck, and then from there they will start building out the actual buildings. 

6 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I don't car that much about the carvana being there - it's a much more urban approach to car sales if nothing else. 

It's the effing QT at Clanton that's the real suck bomb in that area. 

Out of curiosity why do you think that is the case?

1 minute ago, lancer22 said:

Out of curiosity why do you think that is the case?

It generates far, far more car traffic, and it generates that traffic right on top of the rail trail, creating a lot more potential bike/ped accidents. You could fit the footprint of Carvana on that QT twice over. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2018 at 3:18 PM, kermit said:

Turns out I may have misinterpreted Lidl's recent shifts in market strategy. It appears they are no embracing an acquisition (rather than build-out) strategy for their expansion. While Lidl still owns this site they might be shopping it.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail-financial/lidl-us-acquire-best-market

Having said that, I am not sure who Lidl might purchase in our area. Ingles might be a good fit. Food Lion would also be a decent match, but I suspect they are too big.

Any updates on this? Seems like such a good site that's turning into an eye sore. 

Has there been any discussion here about the library that's on the corner of Scaleybark and South? It looks to be moving to a new location down South across from where Performance Bicycle was.

Was this a forced move? The current location offers better access (rail stop/bicycle lane/sidewalks/neighborhood proximity). The new location will be best accessed by car.  If the library was going to gut a strip mall and retrofit an entire building, it would have been better where it is.