Scaleybark Station Area Projects

kermit

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody mentioned some parking lot drilling here recently but I can't find that thread. Anyway, here is the CBJ on the Terwilliger project at the Piedmont Natural Gas property on Yancey near OMB:

Pending rezoning approval, Terwilliger Pappas plans to develop an apartment development with between 250 and 300 units, said Jeff Smith, executive vice president at Terwilliger Pappas. The property is currently owned by Duke Energy Corp.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/03/09/terwilliger-pappas-lower-south-end.html

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, dylansukkert said:

Is this where they just built that new Piedmont Natural Gas building? 

99% sure this is the main parcel for this project  https://polaris3g.mecklenburgcountync.gov/#pid=14903220&gisid=14903220 They also appear to be taking some of the parcel to the south that has the new office building however this appears to not include the new office building. Just the old office building on the north side of the parcel. Duke / Piedmont owns a few large parcels of land in that immediate area, I wonder if this is the first step in vacating this area (except for the new office).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Drive bys today.  New Ryan Townhomes along S Tryon and the Dan Ryan Townhomes along S Tryon as well.  Novel LoSo apartments and that is a big complex. 

Hmm the Dan Ryan townhomes are now off their webpage but I saw construction continuing.  I think someone said they were now going to be rental townhomes?

How does that work? Does that mean the developer, Ryan Townhomes, will be renting them out, or did some big rental company buy the entire project from Ryan with the intention to renting them out?

1 hour ago, JacksonH said:

How does that work? Does that mean the developer, Ryan Townhomes, will be renting them out, or did some big rental company buy the entire project from Ryan with the intention to renting them out?

Dan Ryan is a separate builder than Ryan Homes but how it would work is this:  Dan Ryan which is own by the same Japanese forestry company that owns Crescent and Novel Apartments of Charlotte would build the townhomes.  They may get another company to manage them for rent  or even sell the whole project to someone else to use a rental property.  Rental townhomes are even more expensive than rental apartment.  Actually I would rather have the for sale product there as I think there is a huge demand for for sale townhomes.  But close by Tri Pointe homes of California is building a huge townhome development off S Tryon backing up to 77.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Here is the Tri Pointe Homes townhome proposal.  On vacant land next to I-77.  all for sale!  Scroll down the community meeting package for the site plan. 

Community Meeting Report_Tripointe_Orchard Circle (00228769).DOCX (charlottenc.gov)

So basically all those houses in that area would be pretty much living on borrowed time. I can't imagine the folks living in those townhomes wanting to be sandwiched between 77 and the current "population" living there now. Its no secret that area is being gentri... I mean transformed, but with all the heat on the city about affordable housing and such, I think this project may face some obstacles. But, what do I know?

9 minutes ago, NY+SC=NC said:

So basically all those houses in that area would be pretty much living on borrowed time. I can't imagine the folks living in those townhomes wanting to be sandwiched between 77 and the current "population" living there now. Its no secret that area is being gentri... I mean transformed, but with all the heat on the city about affordable housing and such, I think this project may face some obstacles. But, what do I know?

I drove that neighborhood and I saw houses being renovated some not but I guess it is no different than many intown neighborhoods.  The TriPointe townhomes are being built on vacant land so not displacing anyone. 

• Like 3

On 3/16/2021 at 8:53 PM, KJHburg said:

I drove that neighborhood and I saw houses being renovated some not but I guess it is no different than many intown neighborhoods.  The TriPointe townhomes are being built on vacant land so not displacing anyone. 

I didn't mean to imply that the project itself would displace anyone. I understand its vacant land, I was referring to what's surrounding it. I'm going to go on a field trip and take a look for myself. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have an update.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NY+SC=NC said:

I didn't mean to imply that the project itself would displace anyone. I understand its vacant land, I was referring to what's surrounding it. I'm going to go on a field trip and take a look for myself. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have an update.

It is somewhat hilly and crossed by a high tension transmission line.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went by the former Dan Ryan Townhomes today which are being completed but I saw a small sign for Comformity Corp. maybe they bought the rest of the townhome sites. 

Plus the Ryan townhomes and the new multi story mini storage warehouse.  and a photo of the former Stax site in rubble. 

IMG_4264.JPG

IMG_4265.JPG

IMG_4267.JPG

IMG_4268.JPG

IMG_4269.JPG

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Drove by that area today as well, and there's lots going on.  I just wish the chain-linked automotive shop on the northeast corner of South Tryon and Clanton could be done away with.  Such an awful blight in South End.  The poles of your chain link fence are falling over, and you're there every day and no one thinks to make the place look a tad more presentable?  How can you be trusted to provide services competently when apparently no one is motivated enough to keep the lot from looking like a trash heap.  Aesthetics matter, Charlotte.

• Like 2

I'll post as Devil's Advocate argument (though I actually agree with you).  In a highly gentrifying area, that still has a large low-income population nearby that likely have cars that on average need regular repairs, this is a subtle signal that "come here, we aren't trying to attract trendy south end Millennials that we're try to rip off with obnoxious pricing... we're basic and our prices will reflect it"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

^^^ Oh I think that way and if see a place too polished or new I do think higher prices.  My mechanic backs up to the RR tracks off the main road and I do not use the newer shops in the area with the nice waiting room, free wifi etc .    Look at Neese's Sausage up in NoDa it used to be in a very high crime area and of course now is surrounded by upscale apartments and renovated homes.  Yet they still have the barb wire.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just received a notice for rezoning 2021-076 from White Point Partners.  It's 5.8ac, part of OMBs parking lot as well as 6 adjacent single family lots.  Anyone know what's going on?  There was an article in CBJ and it was super vague... 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Northwood Ravin is finally going to start new apartments at their site by Scaleybark and South Blvd closer to Weston St.  This project was once called Crosland Green which includes the old shopping center there. 

""Northwood Ravin is in permitting and expects to break ground on an approximately 300-unit apartment project this summer, near South Boulevard and Scaleybark Road, said David Ravin, president and CEO of Northwood Ravin. The project will be the first of a multi-phase development at the site, which has in years past been referred to as the Crosland Greens development.  Northwood Ravin is working with Northwestern Mutual on the development.  The apartments will be built on a portion of the site farthest away from South and Scaleybark, at Weston Street and Hollis Road, Ravin said. The project will be developed with surface parking instead of the more typical apartment-wrapped structured parking deals that have been built in and around South End.""

Northwood Ravin beginning apartment phase this summer at Crosland Greens site near South End - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Does anyone have a site plan for this?

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

This area is going to be THICC.

And across S Tryon from all of this is the old Stax land now owned by Kairoi Residential. That property is 13.5 acres and it looks like they are rezoning an additional 6 acres that front Clanton and are adjacent to the Stax property. 

• Like 3