Scaleybark Station Area Projects

kermit

2 hours ago, DonkeyKong said:

Anyone know what's being built in the area circled in RED.   Major demo on the site today and a much bigger lot than it looks.

Lidl (and a big ass parking lot)

Edit: My bad

Edited by kermit

On 11/15/2022 at 1:28 PM, DonkeyKong said:

Anyone know what's being built in the area circled in RED.   Major demo on the site today and a much bigger lot than it looks.

image.thumb.png.3e19b8b3f632c7fe2aed94aec3805e35.pngAnyon

Glad to hear those former Patton's buildings are finally being torn down. I think the original plan was for apartments but it may have switched to townhouses or some combination of the two. Not 100% sure. The connected building (formerly South End Jewelry and Loan) on the north side of these buildings traded hands earlier this year. Wonder if that will be part of this project as well.  

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I agree! the only spot intown they probably could build one.   Wegmans will be in the Charlotte market soon enough after their big successes in the Raleigh Cary Chapel Hill markets. 

Anywhere intown Charlotte could have a wegmans. Legacy Union could have a wegmans. I’d rather see Wegmans in the heart of SouthEnd 

• Like 2

Wegmans really does not like urban format stores there are only 2 one in DC and one in Brooklyn.  However backing up to 77 might be good as that would not be the best place for apartments. 

Carolina Foods site will probably be much higher density 

and of course plenty of land uptown in First Ward. 

• Like 2

On 11/17/2022 at 10:04 PM, jjwilli said:

Seems like a good place for a Wegmans.

I was going to also suggest Harris Teeter, since I know Raleigh has a very nice urban Harris Teeter in North Hills. Unfortunately seems like there's already a Harris Teeter on South near Scaleybark and it's not at all what I'd call "urban".  That said there's one in Uptown on 6th and Pine that looks great from Google street view. Maybe one day the South HT can be converted to something like this.

• Confused 1

I would say it's slightly north of Clanton. The CATS light rail facility creates a natural gap in the geography, which to me is the dividing point between South End and LoSo.  So, if you're on South Blvd, everything from Greystone south and if you're on Tryon, everything south of Foster. Woodlawn doesn't feel like it should be considered LoSo, but since it has no other identity, that's what all the new apartment projects are latching on to, so it definitely will be considered LoSo if it isn't already.  There's a new apartment deal on Tyvola that there was just a bizjournal article about and they were calling themselves in the LoSo neighborhood, which I think is a stretch. 

• Like 4

Charlotte is #1 in neighborhood name stretching in the south if not the nation.

Myers Park and Dilworth extend to Southpark then Southpark extends to Ballantyne even over the NC SC state line.   NoDa is anything from the Parkwood LYNX station to University area. 

But I would extend LoSo to Woodlawn Road but unless an area has a strong name recognition in this city they will be railroaded over by the more popular name.

Scaleybark despite its unique name will be probably absorbed into the LoSo because it is more hip. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2022 at 4:58 PM, Spburn2 said:

Glad to hear those former Patton's buildings are finally being torn down. I think the original plan was for apartments but it may have switched to townhouses or some combination of the two. Not 100% sure. The connected building (formerly South End Jewelry and Loan) on the north side of these buildings traded hands earlier this year. Wonder if that will be part of this project as well.  

Has anyone been able to confirm apartments, townhomes or something else?

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the recent permit it looks like Akridge is involved. So I'm guessing this is planned for more apartments given they are the developer of the South & Hollis apartments just down the street. 

Some pictures from the area today:

1 & 2: Demo of the former Patton's buildings

3 & 4: Lidl construction progress

5 & 6: 3305 South Blvd (former dry cleaners & Sea Arcade) - Looks like it is prepped for demo. Planned for Alexan LoSo apartments

7, 8, & 9: South & Hollis apartments construction progress (I like that they put up a Christmas tree on corner of 2nd floor)

Pattons.jpeg

Pattons (2).jpeg

Lidl.jpeg

Lidl (2).jpeg

Sea Arcade.jpeg

Sea Arcade (2).jpeg

South & Hollis.jpeg

South & Hollis (3).jpeg

South & Hollis (4).jpeg

Edited by Spburn2
Reuploaded photos
  • Like 4

Some additional pictures from the area:

1: 3601 South (bar/restaurant/music venue across from South & Hollis. Unsure if this has a name yet)

2 & 3:  LoSo Station

4, 5, & 6: The Platform (across South Blvd from the Lidl and former Patton's site)

3601 South.jpeg

LoSo Station 3.jpeg

LoSo Station 4.jpeg

Platform.jpeg

Platform (2).jpeg

Platform (3).jpeg

Edited by Spburn2
Reuploaded photos
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...