Scaleybark Station Area Projects

kermit

• 4 weeks later...

forgive the thread creep but it appears that Pfeiffer is going to sell its park road building (they were "approached" by developers) and relocate its _busy_ Charlotte operations "nearby".

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article39482745.html

I can't really picture them downtown (parking and lease expense), but I wonder about the possibility of them leasing space at the Pappas Scaleybark project? It would a) be nearby, b) provide plenty of parking (and since the parking would be off peak it might be a nice way to leverage the deck expenses), c) LRT access and d) better access to I77.

Any other guesses about where they might end up?

Getting them would be a nice score for a mixed use project since Pfeiffer should create a large amount of ped / dinner activity wherever they end up. (I am sure 99.9% of Pfeiffer students are going to drive to the site, but I'll bet many of them will leave the building to get coffee, food etc. before and after class if they have the opportunity).

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone else feel like the constant deadline extensions and consessions allowed by the city is wearing a little thin? The Carolina Theater was let go for a dollar and we were told that we would get "x", but now we are getting "y". Levine sounds like a broken record with his extension requests and the city continues to do business with him. And now Pappas want another two years just to build a deck? I could very well be missing or not understanding something here, but I'm getting pretty damn tired of this. It's high time certain developers or projects have the hammer dropped on them. I really wish the city would grow a pair and say, "You want another extension? No, and penalties will be expected on the deadline." This crap needs to stop. I understand that occasionally certain things completely outside of the control of the developer happen and thus a deadline extension is warranted, but it's really starting to feel like some of these guys have figured out how horrible the city is at playing poker and now they're calling every poorly executed bluff. Some of these projects have gotten plenty of leeway and it's about time city council puts its foot down.

• Like 3

Now I'm not saying land owners be told what to do with their land and when to do it. What I'm referring to is developers approaching the city and requesting certain things needed to put up the project they want (or being practically given the property for free instead of selling it and adding to the coffers) and in return promising to include items that the city feels is needed in the area (open/public space, curb improvments, affordable housing, etc. The developer gets the sweetheart deal they want and Charlotte sits around with its thumb firmly planted in its arse. It seems like all too often that after multiple delays the project gets scaled back, sometimes more than once, and it ends up being closer to what the developer wanted with a chunk of what the city requested cluttering up the cutting room floor. I firmly believe some of these guys know that they won't have all their ducks in a row by the deadline knowing the will get an extension for a slightly scaled back version thus avoiding penalties. This happens another one or two times until what is built is closer to what they originally intended anyway. 

Well, an even better step would be to make it easier and less expensive for small developers and builders to buy and develop small tracts of land. This way areas could truly grow incrementally over time with less financial risk. Right now it costs a large firm the same amount of money to build a 10-unit project on less land as it does to build a 300-unit on a whole block. We need to get a little further away from working on economies of scale. But the regulatory/zoning environment doesn't allow for it very easily.

Pappas is nearing a deal to bring a 125-room hotel to Scaleybark. Also, they are supposidely getting close to starting the first phase of the residential.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article43189479.html

I am going to take a swag at the hotel brand here and say it will be a Hotel Indigo.

I am going to take a swag at the hotel brand here and say it will be a Hotel Indigo.

That would be nice. I've stayed at the Hotel Indigo in Asheville and it was a very nice property. Hopefully it will be a Indigo. I like these types of hotels, lowish-priced chic hotels, over generic and boring Hampton or Holiday Inn. 

Indigo is part of IHG, so there could certainly be more than one in the city.  After all, we're going to have two Residence Inns uptown.  

If all goes right, there could be three IHGs within 3 blocks :-) 

So why does Pappas need another extension at Scaleybark when he is pressing ahead in Midtown? Is it all about the grocery store proximity / affordable housing credits?

Something tells me he is going to delay himself out of this cycle.

The Grocery Store Proximity won't be applicable anymore once Low Cost grocery store Lidl builds its store less than the required mile away.

• 2 months later...

No idea if this will amount to anything but this building shown on Google maps is getting a makeover.  It's freshly painted, with new windows and lights like Nan and Byron's has to illuminate their name on the side of the building.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/231+Scaleybark+Rd,+Charlotte,+NC+28209/@35.1880284,-80.8737905,3a,75y,219.48h,80.79t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sQ16V79jXj7vXfUDkfhSmng!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DQ16V79jXj7vXfUDkfhSmng%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D1.9685546%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x88569f19d31bfdc9:0xc244e35420bbdd07

I always thought it could be a cool retail spot if Crosland and the Honda shop next door got redeveloped.  Maybe someone is taking the leap now and hoping all the other development in the area pans out.

On 1/22/2016 at 8:48 AM, SouthEndCLT811 said:

No idea if this will amount to anything but this building shown on Google maps is getting a makeover.  It's freshly painted, with new windows and lights like Nan and Byron's has to illuminate their name on the side of the building.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/231+Scaleybark+Rd,+Charlotte,+NC+28209/@35.1880284,-80.8737905,3a,75y,219.48h,80.79t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sQ16V79jXj7vXfUDkfhSmng!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DQ16V79jXj7vXfUDkfhSmng%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D1.9685546%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x88569f19d31bfdc9:0xc244e35420bbdd07

I always thought it could be a cool retail spot if Crosland and the Honda shop next door got redeveloped.  Maybe someone is taking the leap now and hoping all the other development in the area pans out.

Freshly painted logo on the building of a dog and the words "Brown Dog Wood Co".  Tried to Google and no results came up.  Tried Polaris 3G and found the record of who owns the building.  Owners address is the same as Zack's so there may be hope this turns into some food establishment.  If not, I'm enjoying the work they've done to the outside of the building anyways.

http://polaris3g.mecklenburgcountync.gov/#pid=14906121&gisid=14906121

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

On 1/29/2016 at 7:49 AM, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Freshly painted logo on the building of a dog and the words "Brown Dog Wood Co".  Tried to Google and no results came up.  Tried Polaris 3G and found the record of who owns the building.  Owners address is the same as Zack's so there may be hope this turns into some food establishment.  If not, I'm enjoying the work they've done to the outside of the building anyways.

http://polaris3g.mecklenburgcountync.gov/#pid=14906121&gisid=14906121

IMG_1385.JPG

• Like 1