2400 West End

barakat

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thinking on type here, but how big was the Tower building (which should not be torn down, if at all possible)? It's a pretty small lot so where would parking go? Hmm. I like the idea of another 6-7 story infill building to go up with the Elliston project, but this baffles me a bit.

I do not know any history of the building itself, but before Tower Records it was empty for several years. Prior to that it was home to the upscale ladies clothing retailer Rich-Schwartz.

main.png

Hmm.. is FYE moving?

I assume they would demo the building? I always kinda liked that building.. it looks like it has some sort of historical aspect to it.. although I don't really know the history of it.. does anyone??

That building used to be a car dealership. They sold Packards which were the Cadillac of the day. I think this was the 1940's through the 1960's. It is a historic building and should be preserved, however this is a better hotel than what we thought or was rumored.

BR86

I pinned this topic for its relevance.

BR86

Note at the entrance the two pilasters with the ionic capitals. Very classic. Also, see how close the door is to the sidewalk. That's old-school. We don't see that with new construction. I like the face of this building and will hate to see it go. But the replacement will offer a mixture of uses and, likely, a scale more suitable for that site. Let's hope the design is as effective as the function.

WW

Another article about it today in the Tennessean... still no mention of whether the existing building would come down or not.

This article mentions only 2 stories of underground parking. But the Tennessean is known to be wrong sometimes...

Construction to begin Feb 2012, 1st phase complete April 2013, 2nd phase start Feb 2014.

There's a hearing on Jan 4

http://www.tennessea...F.Y.E+building+

• 1 year later...

I walked by this area again today... I didn't realize before that this project also included the little strip mall type building that used to house Sprint, a yogurt place, Schlotzsky's, etc. This project will make this area look totally different, which is definitely a good thing at least for Elliston Place, if not for West End as well.

I'm still torn over potentially losing the tower records facade... and wish this could be preserved. But the rest of the buildings aren't worth saving.... including the backside of the old tower records.

I'm still torn over potentially losing the tower records facade... and wish this could be preserved. But the rest of the buildings aren't worth saving.... including the backside of the old tower records.

If it starts coming down, I am jumping the fence and taking a few pieces home with me. Spent a LOT of time in that building.

Archived