• Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

019-22.jpg

022-22.jpg

021-22.jpg

020-22.jpg

I was reading that the 900 plus jobs will have a multiplier of 4.5 jobs for every single job at ZF. Excellent.....another "BMWesque" company.....and much better than some of the low paying warehouse / distribution jobs being created in other areas of the state.

I was reading that the 900 plus jobs will have a multiplier of 4.5 jobs for every single job at ZF. Excellent.....another "BMWesque" company.....and much better than some of the low paying warehouse / distribution jobs being created in other areas of the state.

While this is a good company and interesting because of the delicate work of building a transmission, it is far from Spartanburg's BMW Plant (if you compare Haywood with Lenox, then that analogy may work). Besides, with Greenville losing over 24k jobs in the past 10 years...just one spot better than Buffalo, the jobs are much needed. But, seriuosly, taking shots at other job creating industries in SC.......why???????? Just curious, do you even know what the wages will be for this plant?

While this is a good company and interesting because of the delicate work of building a transmission, it is far from Spartanburg's BMW Plant (if you compare Haywood with Lenox, then that analogy may work). Besides, with Greenville losing over 24k jobs in the past 10 years...just one spot better than Buffalo, the jobs are much needed. But, seriuosly, taking shots at other job creating industries in SC.......why???????? Just curious, do you even know what the wages will be for this plant?

While this will be a fairly large facility in terms of size (950,000 square feet) and employment (900 jobs) I agree it's not even close to BMW which has over 7,000 workers at their plant currently with their latest expansion totaling 1.25 million square feet and hiring 1,600 new workers. However, gsupstate is right when referring to the employment multiplier effect that ZF will have compared to BMW. 4.5 additional jobs created for every new one at this transmission plant is nothing to sneeze at.

Wages at ZF are going to vary a lot depending on what position a person has, but I imagine they'll average around $14-$15 an hour. That's just a guess though so take it with a grain of salt.

While this will be a fairly large facility in terms of size (950,000 square feet) and employment (900 jobs) I agree it's not even close to BMW which has over 7,000 workers at their plant currently with their latest expansion totaling 1.25 million square feet and hiring 1,600 new workers. However, gsupstate is right when referring to the employment multiplier effect that ZF will have compared to BMW. 4.5 additional jobs created for every new one at this transmission plant is nothing to sneeze at.

Wages at ZF are going to vary a lot depending on what position a person has, but I imagine they'll average around $14-$15 an hour. That's just a guess though so take it with a grain of salt.

This is a good project, clearly better than the toilet paper plant that created 1k jobs. ZF has no trouble with financing, does not depend on grants for construction and produces a great product (the DCT in BMW M Series cars are terrific). But, I think the multiplier for an auto plant is much higher than the 4.5. However, it is sad when upstate posts about job creating events and takes a stab at other companies in SC, that is disappointing. Luckily, al lot of Greenville supporters are rational and provide good comments.

I said BMWesque, as in the mutiplier of jobs (although I believe BMW is much higher than 4.5 to 1). Other than Boeing or Proterra, hard to find any recent announcement that will create 4.5 spinoff jobs for every one job. Good to see. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Warehousing/distribution jobs can be found all over the state, just like the new Adidas distribution center that opened last year in Spartanburg. So I don't know where this nonsense about such jobs "being created in other areas of the state" is coming from. If such distribution jobs constitute "excellent news" for the Upstate, then it's the same for other parts of the state as well.

At any rate, keep the discussion about the ZF Group in the Upstate.

OK....halftime, the Black Eyed Peas are on....they sound horrible tonight....GO STEELERS!

Just a quick note, a couple of engineering guys at the party I'm at.....moved here for an extended period through the ZF construction. They called ZF the completion of the "transportation trifecta".....BMW, the premium car brand, Michelin, the premium tire brand, ZF, the premium transmission brand. Thought it was funny.

OK....back to the bowl....the Steelers really need to get with the program.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived