Greenville Annexations

vicupstate

The owner pays the taxes for the property itself. The rate would be based on 6% of value, like a business or other commercial or rental property. Owner-occupied homes are taxed at 4% of value. The property is already served by city water and sewer, so there would be no additional expense there.

Residents would be taxed based on the value of their registered automobiles.

Generally speaking, annexatons of this sort are financially beneficial because there is little added expense involved. Had it not been, it is doubtful the city would have pursued it.

This appears to be a by-product of the recent settlement between the city and the Wade Hampton Fire Department.

EDIT: The property is valued at over $24mm, so I would estimate the taxes at $130-140,000 annually, plus whatever the autos bring in.

Edited by vicupstate

The owner pays the taxes for the property itself. The rate would be based on 6% of value, like a business or other commercial or rental property. Owner-occupied homes are taxed at 4% of value. The property is already served by city water and sewer, so there would be no additional expense there.

Residents would be taxed based on the value of their registered automobiles.

Generally speaking, annexatons of this sort are financially beneficial because there is little added expense involved. Had it not been, it is doubtful the city would have pursued it.

This appears to be a by-product of the recent settlement between the city and the Wade Hampton Fire Department.

EDIT: The property is valued at over $24mm, so I would estimate the taxes at $130-140,000 annually, plus whatever the autos bring in.

OK. Thanks. This is good to see. Smart annexation that will add to the city coffers but cost very little.

• 2 months later...

Greenville intends to aggressively annex property, simplify business license fees, develop new neighborhoods and potentially restructure some services in what City Council members describe as an effort to strengthen the city emerging from the economic downturn.

The moves are among a list of priorities, including more park space on the Reedy River and downtown office tenants, that emerged from a recent City Council retreat.

Councilman David Sudduth said it’s a signal to taxpayers and city employees that the city isn’t going to cut its way to prosperity.

Mayor Knox White said the priorities are focused on growing the tax base and the population.

The city will focus more on filling its commercial corridors, developing major “gateways” to downtown, recruiting office tenants and charging business license fees that are more competitive and include incentives.

When it comes to population, White said the city is “really going to ratchet up the annexation,” in part by pursuing neighborhoods with data that can show roughly equal tax levels in some areas around the city.

Greenville’s estimated residential population of 61,782 is unusually small, ranking behind not just Columbia and Charleston but also North Charleston, Rock Hill and Mount Pleasant, while the county is the state’s largest by far.

It’s population cripples the city when it comes to landing retailers and federal funding, both of which tend to hang on population calculations.

Greenville News article.

Greenville to rachet up Annexation

Edited by vicupstate

Greenville News article.

Greenville to rachet up Annexation

Very exciting, and as always, I read the Greenville News comments section. Makes for great comedic relief, and while most people are of the mindset "we don't want no stinkin' annexation" there are some positive comments in there. I just hope that city if nothing else accomplishes this simply for the population growth.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to see Greenville is annexing some land, population, and some tax base. That is rather weird that Greenville sits in the largest county in SC but is even less populated than even Rock Hill. That's rather weird.

Despite it entirely misrepresenting Greenville on paper, I think it has the potential to/and does work in Greenville's favor. The Upstate's best shopping, dining, and cultural/entertainment amenities all lie within those small limits. Not to mention the huge increase in daytime population for employment. All of this brings in dollars that the City doesn't have to spend over a large area, promoting quality and details that a much larger land area would dilute.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely want to see Greenville's population numbers grow to represent its actual size. Bring on the dense annexations! But, it's worth noting, that this very "weird" situation has shown some benefits, which have worked in the favor of the City. :thumbsup:

Despite it entirely misrepresenting Greenville on paper, I think it has the potential to/and does work in Greenville's favor. The Upstate's best shopping, dining, and cultural/entertainment amenities all lie within those small limits. Not to mention the huge increase in daytime population for employment. All of this brings in dollars that the City doesn't have to spend over a large area, promoting quality and details that a much larger land area would dilute.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely want to see Greenville's population numbers grow to represent its actual size. Bring on the dense annexations! But, it's worth noting, that this very "weird" situation has shown some benefits, which have worked in the favor of the City. :thumbsup:

Perhaps it has worked to the benefit. But Greenville would gain much more if it was larger such as more federal funding and the sort. I'm also sure local Greenville politicians would love the tax base. By weird I mean we all know Rock Hill is no where near as urban as Greenville, yet its population is larger?

Perhaps it has worked to the benefit. But Greenville would gain much more if it was larger such as more federal funding and the sort. I'm also sure local Greenville politicians would love the tax base. By weird I mean we all know Rock Hill is no where near as urban as Greenville, yet its population is larger?

Rock Hill may as well be a suburb of Charlotte. A huge number of Rock Hill residents work in NC in Pineville, Charlotte, etc. With those (especially Charlotte) so close, Rock Hill will always have a hard time creating a dense, urban feel downtown (or anywhere for that matter). I attend Winthrop U in Rock Hill and there are a lot of people here! Drive on I-77 during 5:00 traffic and you'll see everyone coming home from work...actually, avoid that if possible.

• 1 month later...

26-27sq. miles I believe.

There are rumbling of more annexations to come. Hopefully, they will.

According to the Grenville News Newcomers Guide, the city is 28.4 sq. miles now. Greer is 21.6, Mauldin 10, Simpsonville 7, Traveler's Rest 10.6 , Fountain Inn 6

According to the Grenville News Newcomers Guide, the city is 28.4 sq. miles now. Greer is 21.6, Mauldin 10, Simpsonville 7, Traveler's Rest 10.6 , Fountain Inn 6

Good grief, Greer has a lot of land! I never realized it was only a few sq miles behind Greenville..

• 2 months later...

Meanwhile, the council annexed the common areas and some lots within the new Woodstone Cottages development on Roper Mountain Road Extension and Hawkins Road.

Mayor Knox White urged city leaders to hold conversations with remaining property owners not covered by the annexation because he said the delivery of services in the area could get confusing if one side of a road is in the city while the other side isn’t.

From Greenville News

<BR>I'm glad to see Greenville is annexing some land, population, and some tax base. That is rather weird that Greenville sits in the largest county in SC but is even less populated than even Rock Hill. That's rather weird.<BR>
<BR><BR>A pet peeve of mine. To say that RH and Mt. Pleasant are larger than Greenville is to say the least misleading. RH's downtown isn't as big as Anderson. What would the population of Greenville be if the City limits just extended out 5 miles in all directions from the center of downtown. 200k? Every time I come down Poinsett Hwy to Rutherford I still can't believe the city limit signs at WYFF just a few blocks from main st. Compare that with Charlotte where their city limits extend 15-20 miles out in some cases. I wonder what the population would be if it was counted by people with Greenville addresses that are not in the city limits such as Berea, Wade Hampton, Welcome, Sans Souci, Brandon, Judson, Dunean, Monaghan etc. Did you know that even though all the old mill villages are in the city limits their population is not part of the ciity population? Like I said Greenville is easily a city of 150-200k, despite what's on paper. Edited by apaladin

• 4 weeks later...

The Gville News has a story about the city reaching an annexation agreement with the Parker Fire/Sewer district, similiar to one reached with the Wade Hampton district.

Mayor White says there has been interest in annexation from businesses in the Cherrydale area.

My guess would be that restaurants in the area want to sell alcohol on Sundays, which can only happen if they are inside the city. The new strip center that is mostly restaurants between Home Depot and Cherrydale, would be a strong candidate, IMO.

• 5 months later...