Greenville Annexations

vicupstate

On 6/10/2022 at 4:49 PM, vicupstate said:

Monday City Council will consider changes to the Water covenant requirement for annexation.  It would extend the annexation (when feasible) requirement perimeter from 1 mile from existing limits to 1.5 miles. It would also forbid annexation to OTHER cities inside this perimeter (ie Mauldin).

Updates to Annexation Water Covenant   

Passed unanimously. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Happy to see them annexing the Riverside apartments! This seems like a result of the previously discussed ROW annexation along the SRT? 

I wonder what the underlying reason is for annexing the parcels around Lake Conestee? 

5 hours ago, vicupstate said:

LOL, this is the epitome of "nickle and dimeing" something. Maybe we'll reach that magic 30 sq mi mark some time this decade! :lol:

8 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

LOL, this is the epitome of "nickle and dimeing" something. Maybe we'll reach that magic 30 sq mi mark some time this decade! :lol:

We passed it a year or two ago.  The city seems to be finally picking up the pace, so that is a good thing.  

9 minutes ago, Galley said:

I noticed that Racks and Ribs closed.  Was the city finally able to close that donut hole?

The State Supreme Court ordered them closed. The property was never in the city limits. It was the county trying to shut them down and they succeeded. 

• 1 month later...

6.997 Acres 1t 1067 Keys Dr. - Roper Mountain Baptist Church  

6.91 acres on Chestnut Street

The Chestnut street item is an existing residential area using the 75% petition method. I can't remember Greenville doing anything other than 100%  since I have lived here (1996).  More proof the city is getting more proactive.   

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

4.83 acres at 200, 250 Executive Center Dr.  

11.57 acres at 31 Patewood Drive

.89 acres on Mauldin Rd

.75 acres at 525 Congaree Rd.

1.68 acres at 308 Mills Avenue  

6.34 acres at 125 Halton Rd.

Edit:  City is changing the annexation process to eliminate the need for a Planning Commission recommendation, although council can refer it to PC at its discretion.  This is to streamline the process. 

Text Amendment on Annexations  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

There was an article from the Gnews yesterday talking about Greenville getting more aggressive with annexation, but it is only for subscribers. Can someone with access give us a summary with a few details? Thank you in advance!

Key Points (Copied Directly from Article)

• Annexation in Greenville has come much more rarely than in Charleston or Columbia.
  • Mill villages and special purpose districts make the situation in Greenville different.
  • Greenville is embarking on more annexations now, though, amid rising population in the county at available contiguous locations with a process of "growth management."
  • While there are often benefits to residents and the city, the expansions bring costs, too.

Also thought this info was interesting 
"While Charleston has annexed 7,161 acres since 1982 and Columbia has annexed 2,891 acres, Greenville has annexed just 757 acres, according to research compiled by Greenville city councilmember Russell Stall."

"City Council has prioritized annexation as Greenville continues to grow. The city has done 26 annexations since mid-2021, a significant uptick, said Assistant City Manager Shannon Lavrin. The previous high was 16 annexation ordinances passed in 2018."

• Thanks 4

Councilman Stall's research is VERY informative. The only complaint I have is that a lot of the conclusions are based on the NUMBER of annexations and not the land area or population involved. 

Specific to Greenville, this was very interesting: 

image.png.9fc3912f8d8a7658be9d49690444234d.png

^^^ I live in Parker district and the taxes here are the highest in the entire county and for very few services.  I wish Greenville would sponsor an annexation election for the entire district.  

Note: the graphic is only related to property taxes. Water rates would be 30% lower with annexation into  the city 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

Councilman Stall's research is VERY informative. The only complaint I have is that a lot of the conclusions are based on the NUMBER of annexations and not the land area or population involved. 

Specific to Greenville, this was very interesting: 

image.png.9fc3912f8d8a7658be9d49690444234d.png

^^^ I live in Parker district and the taxes here are the highest in the entire county and for very few services.  I wish Greenville would sponsor an annexation election for the entire district.  

Note: the graphic is only related to property taxes. Water rates would be 30% lower with annexation into  the city 

Interesting map here. It this were any other state, most of the green and orange areas would already be part of the city, as well as parts of Taylors and Furman areas. I wonder what the city population would be. It's going to be hard to convince people to ask to be annexed so we'll see what effect this has, if any, but it's worth a try.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In my view it's not fair to Greenville that our borders must remain artificially small while Charleston and Columbia both can sprawl over 100 sq mi. Our leaders should explore special legislative action to annex large portions of those unincorporated areas and Mill Villages surrounding Greenville into our official city limits.

Though UniGov in Indianapolis wasn't a total success, it played a fundamental role in making Indianapolis into the destination it is today. Greenville's leaders should explore similar ideas, though far scaled back to assure cities like Mauldin, Greer, TR, and so on maintain their autonomy.

Overall Greenville must absolutely be allowed to plan in areas such as Judson, City View, anything along White Horse Road where the County hasn't done anything to improve the area by any measure. Bringing those areas into the Greenville's official tax base provides a two-way benefit considering our city will be able to provide more resources (including pedestrian safety which is quite literally a killer in those parts of town) to largely neglected while the community also significantly gains more say so in their government as they currently only have a largely unresponsive County to deal with now.  

Just my two cents.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, gman430 said:

So why is Columbia and Charleston able to annex all of these areas but Greenville isn’t? Must be a really odd law.

My understanding is the areas surrounding Greenville's original small city limits were already developed with things like special districts and mill villages. Columbia and Charleston had more undeveloped land surrounding their original city limits that they were able to annex before it developed. With the way the annexation law is written it makes it hard for Greenville to annex the unincorporated urban area. Ex: The Verdae area was annexed before it was developed. The other two cities were able to do more of that.

• Like 1

Columbia has been able to annex mainly because it uses water agreements to force annexation once contiguity occurs.  Greenville has done this somewhat but not to the same extent for whatever reason.  One BIG caveat with Columbia that you need to understand is that a LOT of the area in its limits is government property.  Fort Jackson is the biggest example, but not the only one.  Ft. Jackson is 88 square miles, so that is huge.   Without that, it would be MUCH closer to Greenville in land area.  A second example is a large tract of state owned property that Columbia annexed in the '90's or early 2000's.  It  is on the North side of I-20 near 1/277 and includes hundreds if not thousands of acres. I includes a few state agencies including a few prison facilities.   A third example is an annexation made under Mayor Patton Adams in the late '80's or early '90's that was VERY controversial. It annexed Harbison State Forest, SLED  and the quite large SCDC property along Broad River Rd and the Broad River. 

These properties provide NO property tax revenue yet require city services.  The prisons do increase the city's population, which means state and federal monies based on population  would result.  These also allow contiguity to exist that provides for other annexations.  When you look at the Cola city limits, you see a number of subdivisions that were annexed in pre-development via Ft. Jackson. 

Charleston is a different story, which I will post on tomorrow.