Greenville Annexations

vicupstate

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 11:11 AM, transplant08 said:

1007 hampton ave is a former auto repair shop & yard. Johnston Design Group is planning a development there.

http://greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/8666?fileID=44548

Johnston Design filed an application for local landmark designation for this building.  Anyone know the purpose of doing so? Or more details about this planned development?

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, apaladin said:

This is the land that is currently being cleared.  You would think that would already be in the city. There is a city limit sign right down the road at Roper Mtn. Ext.  Anyway adding 450 apartments will add to the population unlike  most of these annexations.

Is it certain it will be apartments?  C-2 zoning would indicate some sort of office use at least in part.  

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone help me understand the pros and cons from a property owners perspective on being annexed into the city? For instance the 2901 E North street property. What would that owner gain, aside from more tax burden and city trash pick up?

I understand the pros for the city but am not sure on the private owner side.

2 minutes ago, Tigers81 said:

Can anyone help me understand the pros and cons from a property owners perspective on being annexed into the city? For instance the 2901 E North street property. What would that owner gain, aside from more tax burden and city trash pick up?

There's a Greenville News piece from this week that  addresses this to some degree. It was a question of Greenville's size and the limits on its ability to expand, but touched on the advantages of being a city resident. Two of the given reasons stood out: you generally get faster response times from emergency services, and you also get a discount on your water service because of those higher taxes. They claimed quality of services (which I truly believe), but seems difficult to quantify. 

11 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

There's a Greenville News piece from this week that  addresses this to some degree. It was a question of Greenville's size and the limits on its ability to expand, but touched on the advantages of being a city resident. Two of the given reasons stood out: you generally get faster response times from emergency services, and you also get a discount on your water service because of those higher taxes. They claimed quality of services (which I truly believe), but seems difficult to quantify. 

Also you can take part in citywide grants and some waived business fees, depending on the business and location. 

31 minutes ago, Tigers81 said:

By my calculations, which should be pretty close, the owner would pay $136 more in taxes if it is rental or investment property, and $90 more if owner-occupied.   Their  water bill  would be reduced by 1/3 either way.  That alone would probably wipe out the  increase in taxes.  

This property is in the Wade Hampton PSD but properties in the Gantt and Parker PSDs would actually see a property tax REDUCTION by annexing into the city.  I live in Parker and my taxes would drop AT LEAST 7% if I could be annexed. There is some 'fee' added to the tax bill of $120, that I pay to Parker, that I would no longer pay either.     

Property Insurance rates are determined by the Fire Department ISO rating, and the City of Greenville has the highest rating (1) available.  I don't know what Wade Hampton's rating is but if it isn't a 1, then the owners would save some money there as well.   It probably is a worse rating, as most departments are not a 1.

Police response times should normally be much better as a city resident as well.  

Annexation benefits

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigers81 said:

Wow,

This is good information, thank you all for that. I am currently living directly next to the city limits, may need to explore this more.

You can contact John Hamlett in the planning department to get more info at 864-467-4473 or at [email protected].

With your address, they should be able to give you info more specific to your individual situation.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

City Council Work Retreat agenda

Item H. Growing the City's boundaries

Hopefully this actually results in some more aggressive efforts on the city's part. Long overdue, IMO.

Interesting, maybe we'll see if anything comes of it but... Looks more like a 30 minute, "Oh, interesting concept" time filler at a workshop than any intentional "Let's focus and plan on this" type deal. :dontknow:

Edited by distortedlogic

26 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Interesting, maybe we'll see if anything comes of it but... Looks more like a 30 minute, "Oh, interesting concept" time filler at a workshop than any intentional "Let's focus and plan on this" type deal. :dontknow:

That is my fear as well.  We will see I guess. 

I generally think the City's size (area) is healthy in terms of how it is able to spend its resources and focus on the details across its domain. However, areas outside of the City of Greenville offer some rather embarrassing examples of land and resource management. Greenville County needs to get more serious about trees and controls on development. For that reason, I'd love to see more land under the ordinances of the City of Greenville. 

Growing the City's population would, of course, be an added bonus. 

• Like 2