12th Street Corridor

skirby

For sometime the Mayor has been pushing for the redevelopment of 12th Street. The Arkansas Times has a very good article on the new Children's Library to be constructed between 10th and I-630 along Jonesboro Drive. Children's Library

The new library is scheduled to open in 2012.

I really like the Jonesboro Bridge plan to connect the Library to the area around the Zoo.

Also, a new police sub-station is being built along the corridor. 12th Street is also the location for two of the three sites being talked about for a research park. The park is to be located within a five minute drive of UAMS, UALR and Arkansas Children's Hospital.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For sometime the Mayor has been pushing for the redevelopment of 12th Street. The Arkansas Times has a very good article on the new Children's Library to be constructed between 10th and I-630 along Jonesboro Drive. Children's Library

The new library is scheduled to open in 2012.

I really like the Jonesboro Bridge plan to connect the Library to the area around the Zoo.

Also, a new police sub-station is being built along the corridor. 12th Street is also the location for two of the three sites being talked about for a research park. The park is to be located within a five minute drive of UAMS, UALR and Arkansas Children's Hospital.

That's great news. I drove through part of that area (I will admit to having never driven through there since I moved to Little Rock, just never had reason to) a few weeks back and it really depressed me to see so much faded glory and wasted potential. These are definitely steps in the right direction and I think a research and technology park might really add to the long term prospects of the area. They're not quick fixes, but as they build out they can affect the area. (The UofA did that in Fayetteville a while back when they located the ARTP in a relatively unattractive part of south Fayetteville, and although the areas are quite different, it's had a positive impact.)

Archived