Norfolk to Richmond Train

zeppelin14

• 1 year later...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go again.. apparently people aren't happy with the design of the station so the proposed design is going back to the drawing board, I wonder how much longer this will delay construction of the actual station.. it seems like the big issues are that people feel like it shouldn't have to resemble harbor park, and which direction the station should face, railroad tracks or light rail?

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/02/norfolk-train-station-design-back-drawing-board

Here we go again.. apparently people aren't happy with the design of the station so the proposed design is going back to the drawing board, I wonder how much longer this will delay construction of the actual station.. it seems like the big issues are that people feel like it shouldn't have to resemble harbor park, and which direction the station should face, railroad tracks or light rail?

http://hamptonroads....k-drawing-board

I don't understand what all the complaining is about. The station is going to be tiny and pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things since it's only meant to be a temporary station until a much larger permanent one is built.

I wonder if they are thinking of a redesign for the station they had planned in the "vision" as well.

To be honest, I'm slightly encourage by the fact that the DRC finally recognizes the fact that everything doesn't have to be small townish and colonial, and perhaps we should have a modern building for a change. I'm interested to see what they come up with. I never did warm up to this design.

To be honest, I'm slightly encourage by the fact that the DRC finally recognizes the fact that everything doesn't have to be small townish and colonial, and perhaps we should have a modern building for a change. I'm interested to see what they come up with. I never did warm up to this design.

Agreed. It's time to stop building crap that mimics it's surroundings. Most anything built in Norfolk in the past 10 years is total crap. We have a lot of talented young architects in Hampton Roads. Time to use them!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree that it looks slightly better, getting rid of the clock tower helps it look a bit less country. Still wish it was a bit more inspired.

Really, it just looks cheaper. Clock towers are always associated with train stations. That was actually the part of the old rendering I really liked. This is basically a watered down version put together to save money under the guise of making a better more modern design. I have no doubt there was a lot of cost saving with this station.

I prefer the older rendering.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is great news! But why does it take 5 hours to travel from Norfolk to Washington, DC?

It takes 4 hours and 10 minutes from Newport News. Unfortunately, there is no direct link from here to Richmond, instead it just swings out. 5 hour on the train isn't the best, but at least it's now an optional mode of transportation for the south side when it gets here instead of a 40 min (at best with no traffic) ride to NN followed by a 4 hour train ride.

Went to Amtrak.com and looked up a trip to NYC. They offer one trip that only takes 8 hours and costs $63 (one way). A two-way trip for $126 is actually cheaper than driving if you factor in gas, tolls, and parking in NYC and almost takes the same amount of time. Pretty awesome.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived