Fort Norfolk

zeppelin14

I frequently drive past the Fort Norfolk section of the city. For anyone that doesn't know it is where Colley Avenue crosses over Brambleton Avenue at EVMS. There is a lot of unused land there right on the water. With the new Tide station on site, this area could be redeveloped. I could picture an area much like Chicago's Navy Pier or San Francisco's Pier 39. Anyone agree? Can anyone post a map of this area to clarify the area for those that don't know?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I actually explored Fort Norfolk for the first time entirely last week with my son and wife. I've seen renderings of what it could be but I always thought it was the mindset of an artist. Now that I can see it for myself, there is tons of potential for that area. In fact, I'm kind of P__D why this area has not been redeveloped for the good of Norfolk. What I like most about the area is the useful views of portsmouth. Unlike the other portion of DT, there are real views on that side of the water. No shipyards in site. The land extends out and I'm not sure if flooding has anything to do with it, but there is a lot of unused space in that area. Building it out would make the Fort Norfolk LRT stop the best top if done right.

I do not plan on doing much work today, so i'm going to be online thinking, blogging and writing for most of the day. So for the most part, I'm thinking out loud.

I agree with you, but back when I use to live there, I remember thinking the same thing and found the biggest issue with the Fort Norfolk area is that most of the land is owned by businesses that have no interest in selling or moving. Obviously there is still land there to work around those issues to begin the building blocks for a unique urban district, which I would reference Baltimore for a waterfront project that they have on the eastern side of downtown that could easily be seen as the same kind of format that Norfolk should be looking at.

I agree with you, but back when I use to live there, I remember thinking the same thing and found the biggest issue with the Fort Norfolk area is that most of the land is owned by businesses that have no interest in selling or moving. Obviously there is still land there to work around those issues to begin the building blocks for a unique urban district, which I would reference Baltimore for a waterfront project that they have on the eastern side of downtown that could easily be seen as the same kind of format that Norfolk should be looking at.

We need St. Paul's quadrant to come to fruition before this land is really touched IMO. While it is definitely close to downtown, SPQ is much more important for expansion, especially when trying to connect with the harbor park area.

We need St. Paul's quadrant to come to fruition before this land is really touched IMO. While it is definitely close to downtown, SPQ is much more important for expansion, especially when trying to connect with the harbor park area.

Oh i agree, however, unless something changes,it seems as though the city has committed to redevelop that area into newer public housing while mixing a few things in it. I am so disappointed about that decision I could not begin to tell you why.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not sure how that works itself out, but then again, they built the assisted living facility over there and now the old crisp pack planet.

Hmm, I just do not understand it.

Oh i agree, however, unless something changes,it seems as though the city has committed to redevelop that area into newer public housing while mixing a few things in it. I am so disappointed about that decision I could not begin to tell you why.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not sure how that works itself out, but then again, they built the assisted living facility over there and now the old crisp pack planet.

Hmm, I just do not understand it.

Where did you get this idea? Is this from the vision plan that's posted in the SPQ thread? If that is the case, I think you are misinterpreting. From what i saw from the plan, they are redeveloping the whole area and creating affordable housing for about 50% of those currently in Tidewater Gardens. While I don't believe in anyone being given a handout like that, that's a whole lot different than saying they are committed to building newer public housing...

Where did you get this idea? Is this from the vision plan that's posted in the SPQ thread? If that is the case, I think you are misinterpreting. From what i saw from the plan, they are redeveloping the whole area and creating affordable housing for about 50% of those currently in Tidewater Gardens. While I don't believe in anyone being given a handout like that, that's a whole lot different than saying they are committed to building newer public housing...

I guess tomato, tomato. I would have not expected them to redevelop the area entirely into public housing, but the term "public housing" went away decades ago in Norfolk and what you really have left is affordable/free housing. To me, the plans suggest just that and the meetings they have had with the current residents suggest they are building newer public housing. Anything being built now will look better than 1930, but at the end of the day, that's what I got from that entire plan. Add to that a new street grid and a park, a significant size at that. but don't get me wrong, I totally understand your perspective and I will even say I'm over shooting it, but again, I'M SOOOO disgusted with that entire plan.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Drove by this the other day and snapped some shots. Should be a pretty cool place to live with the pool deck on top overlooking the river.

http://norfolklive.b...about-done.html

They should not have painted over again. I would have sand blast it to expose the orange brick.

Windows are nice. I would prefer to see it with the orange brick and new windows, would have given it that rustic look.

I love the idea of converting warehouses into housing, but I agree the original finish would've made the building look even cooler. The original look just adds so much more charm...I feel the same way about the Mayflower high rise at the beach. It was once red brick but since repainted in that puke tan finish.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/05/fort-norfolk-site-sale-7-million

A four-acre parcel in Fort Norfolk that’s long been eyed by the city as a potential mixed-use development is up for sale.

The former site of the Moon Engineering shipyard, 533 Front St., is on the market for $7 million.

CBRE{sodEmoji.|}Hampton Roads began marketing the property - situated southwest of the Hague and northwest of downtown - for Moon of Norfolk LLC., within the last two weeks, said Ken Benassi, CBRE senior vice president.

A conceptual plan for the area discussed in 2002 spelled out a vision for developing an “urban waterfront village.”

Some happenings here for Fort Norfolk. As mentioned earlier in this thread, there will be easier access into Fort Norfolk via Colley AND Second Street.

http://norfolklive.blogspot.com/2013/05/fort-norfolk-plot-for-sale-could-spur.html

Land is for sale publically for the first time in years. This could be huge and this could happen sooner than we all think. It has been a plan since at least 2005 so I expect this to happen.

Archived