Fort Norfolk

zeppelin14

I think that the city should act a soon as possible. Perhaps offer tax breaks on the development of this property that follow plan from the city. And even to encourage the purchase of the ajoining property the city could offer more incentives for the more property that is developed! The city should do something quick!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We will see.

After that sp quad screw up, this is the last hope for norfolk to be worth something more than it is.

I would have thought, with all the talk about TOD, FT. Norfolk would have been on the plate to redevelop. They added the high rise, riverwalk apts, medical center, and a few years back built the new public health building.  Its a lot of potential around there and a big chunk sits on the water that is undeveloped. I think it use to be some old warehouses as I understand it.

I've brought this up before, but when I worked at the TV station over there, I remember hearing rumblings about that land being turned into something, but nothing ever took off, even when they demolished the warehouses that were over there. I'd love to see this finally come to fruition and replace the eyesores currently overlooking the Elizabeth River.

Knowing Norfolk, they'll sit on it until "the right time".

Midtown Norfolk? Did they steal our idea? :lol: I remember we had a discussion years ago on what to call that particular section of town and midtown was the most popular term.

All in all, very good news. I'm anxious to see what comes out of this.

After that sp quad screw up, this is the last hope for norfolk to be worth something more than it is.

The big difference between SPQ and Fort Norfolk is the displacement of residents and the water. SPQ is inland, developed, and people reside there.

Fort Norfolk is a blank drawing board with waterfront property. This could be easier to develop.

Plus with the light rail stop at Fort Norfolk, it is set up perfectly for development.

This is a perfect place for TOD with both residences and retail. I hope the owning brothers don't settle for just anyone buying this property. This property, if developed correctly, could be a jewel in the city's crown. 

This is a perfect place for TOD with both residences and retail. I hope the owning brothers don't settle for just anyone buying this property. This property, if developed correctly, could be a jewel in the city's crown. 

Seems like a cordish development would have been better suited for this section of town, developed with more stuff.

How cool would it be for this to actually turn into a legit midtown to connect downtown/spq to ghent/odu on the light rail headed uptown toward the naval base. Thinking about LRT expansion and increased TOD gets me really excited. 

I know i'm alone in this, but the sq plan is a failure at best. It is a betterment of what it is indeed, but it is far far far from what Norfolk needed there and attract more F500 companies.  To me, they lost Amerigroup to va.beach/chesapeake, should have been DT. even if they only built that dorky looking building in DT.

Archived