Wealthy/Cherry Street businesses vandalized

joeDowntown

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry, but these types of grammar issues most learn in middle school.

The disturbing thing here is that this is presumably not coming from a bunch of street thugs and toughs. Those who are behind this appear to be decently educated, and probably have college degrees or at least some college. That, or they are some of the most literate and well-spoken "non-college" people I have ever seen. That said, they didn't quite finish at the top of the class, either. To wit:

• "... we, a group of anti-gentrification militants attacked an unfinished condominium."
They're clearly trying hard, what with the "we, ..." bit, but they don't quite get the punctuation right. Still, there's something to be said for getting "4 a.m." correct. That's stylistically correct, whereas most would make an error there such as "4AM" or something. Then there's this gem:
  • "This attack was not isolated, nor will it be the last."

No offense to the local thuggery, but I don't see them using the word "nor" as a conjunctive. The person the cops are looking for is likely neither some drug dealer on the corner, nor a young and stupid high school kid angry about a bunch of WASPs moving into his neighborhood. That said, some of this is a bit badly crafted:

• "The eviction/resignation of all lease-agreements ... and their occupants forced back..."

It's rather hard to evict or resign a lease agreement. Lease agreement also don't tend to have occupants. The leasehold has an occupant, and a person might have a right to occupancy under a lease, but the way this is crafted is rather awkward.

Now, why am I bothering to grade this guys letter like a piece of homework? Simple -- The way this is put together can potentially reveal a great deal about the perpetrator. I would suppose their education is somewhat higher than high school, and that they probably attended either a local community college and did rather well, or if a private college, presumably did rather poorly. That said, given the quality of writing I've seen coming out of even some graduate institutions, I could be wrong.

I think this important, because if you assume that the "old neighbors" were to a significant extent lower income, largely uneducated working class minorities (as old demographic information seems to indicate), the signature of "The Old Neighbors" may be a bit disingenuous. This person just doesn't sound like that. This sounds more like the work of people who may have come from that background, and perhaps used to be neighbors, or whose parents were neighbors, but who are themselves not representative of the actual old neighbors as a class.

If my assumptions are even close to correct, it would be highly troubling that some jerk is threatening violence in the name of people who are almost certainly good, decent, hardworking people. I really hope they catch this loser and throw the book at him. Five years would be too few. This isn't some stupid firebug lighting garages on fire because he likes fire and is slightly deranged. This is a thoroughly disgusting and calculated attempt to spread fear and hatred through threats and acts of violence.

With all due respect, let's let the professionals do their jobs rather than turning this into CSI:Grand Rapids.

Just sayin'

And how have the professionals done so far? We're going on 2 1/2 mos and nothing.

Unlike TV shows, most crimes like this are solved because of tips from the public. If discussions like this get people talking about their suspicions, more power to the people.

This is not official as the arson investigation is not complete. FOX17 has reported that investigators have found only two points where a fire was started and the use of accelerants. No signs of an incendiary device.

Accelerants could just mean gasoline, kerosene, lighter fluid, etc.. They didn't specify. But so far the arson doesn't match the claims in the letter.

Like Rod Serling's "The Monsters are Due on Maple Street"?

I had to look it up as I'm not familiar with it. I don't see what the alternative is. The real police world is not like television, where they can instantly go online and find the culprits and their whereabouts. The fact that no one has been arrested yet tells me there was no evidence at the scene that would pinpoint anyone: no fingerprints, no eye-witnesses, no nothing. Apparently last night, a dishwasher from a local restaurant walking home at 1 AM in a hoodie was stopped and questioned by the police (which is fine, but not very effective). But that's what the police are resorting to, stopping people at random late at night.

It's going to take someone giving a tip to the police about someone they suspect that might have done it. Is that hysteria and paranoia? Who cares.

There has to be someone who sat around and smoked a bong with a group of people and overheard threats of "taking it to a different level" or some other call to action regarding "capitalists pigs", "anarchy" and "gentrification."

I don't think the answer is to wait until someone throws a Molotov cocktail through the window of a home or business. And if (when) that happens, then what? Wait for the forensics team to come up with absolutely no clue as to who did it?

Crimes are solved today by neighbors communicating with each other and telling the police things that may seem connected, even if they're not definitive proof of anything.

This is not official as the arson investigation is not complete. FOX17 has reported that investigators have found only two points where a fire was started and the use of accelerants. No signs of an incendiary device.

Accelerants could just mean gasoline, kerosene, lighter fluid, etc.. They didn't specify. But so far the arson doesn't match the claims in the letter.

Here's the interesting thing: sending a letter through the mail threatening to "kidnap" someone is a pretty egregious offense, even if they didn't cause the fire. Apparently one of the residents of the townhouses is a JUDGE too, so I hear. I wonder what the District Attorney will charge these criminals with? Anyone know how many letters were sent? And how many charges that would be? 18 or something? And one to a judge? 18 counts of domestic terrorism seems like it might = life in prison?

Here's another oddity: the leading anti-capitalist anarchists sites in Grand Rapids have been completely mum on this whole thing. Not since the Dec. 25th event has anything been posted about these events. No support for the comrades in arms? No discussion of gentrification even? What gives? Not even a declaration of "non involvement?" Why the code of silence?

You got me wondering how many have received letters as well. Where they to just the condos? Other homes in the area? Were they addressed by name?

I guess the big question is did any to the businesses that were targeted back in December also get a letter? If they didn't then why?

My place of employment did not get a letter. We are not located in East Hills, but we have done work in the area including the ICCF / Fairmount Square development.

You got me wondering how many have received letters as well. Where they to just the condos? Other homes in the area? Were they addressed by name?

I guess the big question is did any to the businesses that were targeted back in December also get a letter? If they didn't then why?

My place of employment did not get a letter. We are not located in East Hills, but we have done work in the area including the ICCF / Fairmount Square development.

From what I understand, they were sent to the residents of the Fairmount Square Condominiums only. I believe that's 20 separate residents (20 units have been sold so far). I'm no Federal prosecutor, but even if they were dropped in your mailbox, it is then considered part of your U.S. postal mail.

Looks like it might be minimum 5 years per offense, for sending a threat to kidnap through the U.S. mail (or even to put it in someone's mailbox). 10 years if it's a judge and/or officer of the court.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/41/876

5x18 = 90. Might as well be life...

The little f**kers might be better off just turning themselves in, pleading stupidity and begging forgiveness at this point.

Why the threats didn't go to the business owners in this round is anyone's guess.

edit: might be 20 years per count. Not sure depending on how you read the statute above.

The same reason people curse at their mother, blatantly lie, or not pay library fines. At a young age, especially in a developed country like America with a decent school system, we are taught right from wrong. Or, at the very least observe right from wrong. Whether America's school system is decent or not is not the issue; it's the fact that it is good enough that every kid is learning what a conjunction is. So, this may be at the level of grammar structuring what goes before, after, or in between; or discovering that plants are living things as well, or that boys have penises and girls have vaginas. We, as adults, know the correct thing to do, but chose not to do it. I think a transsexual knows he has a penis, but chooses not to use it. Anyway, I think you knew the answer to your own question and don't feel like wasting anymore of my time.

The same reason people curse at their mother, blatantly lie, or not pay library fines. At a young age, especially in a developed country like America with a decent school system, we are taught right from wrong. Or, at the very least observe right from wrong. Whether America's school system is decent or not is not the issue; it's the fact that it is good enough that every kid is learning what a conjunction is. So, this may be at the level of grammar structuring what goes before, after, or in between; or discovering that plants are living things as well, or that boys have penises and girls have vaginas. We, as adults, know the correct thing to do, but chose not to do it. I think a transsexual knows he has a penis, but chooses not to use it. Anyway, I think you knew the answer to your own question and don't feel like wasting anymore of my time.

:mellow: Do you have anything to add that might help catch these people?

Has anyone asked the Hell's Angels over at the "Wild Bunch" building/bar? (what is that place?) on Wealthy if they know of anyone who might be upset about more people actually frequenting Wealthy St. and therefore potentially disrupting illegal activities like drug-running, prostitution rings, racketeering etc... I mean, they've been there for ever and must know all the people in the "old neighborhood". Joking aside, the Hell's Angels would totally burn your house down if it was causing them grief. Is that place even there anymore?

Seriously though, what is the motive here? When I was growing up, Wealthy St. was the center of African-American Grand Rapids and easily one of the poorest neighborhoods in the city and no one gave a hoot about it. Not to excuse or sympathize with the small number of people who would use violence to further their cause, but I think it would rankle me if I grew up in that neighborhood and suddenly--in the midst of the hardest economic times in my life--the neighborhood is improving (as if magically! Where does the money come from?!) but the only people who seem to be able to enjoy the improvements are educated white people. All the while politicians then seem to blame the poorest people--not the speculators who caused the collapse--for the economic collapse by taking away all services, de-funding public education and the like. Anyway, everyone on this forum knows that gentrification is complicated and that as much as I like--and see as necessary--the redevelopment of old neighborhoods, infill etc...there are probably just as many for who see these new businesses as another sign that the only people getting ahead are those who went to good schools in the 'burbs and now have the temerity to claim old neighborhoods for themselves. For me, it's a situation that provides enough motive to create a "lone wolf"--which is what this feels like to me as opposed to a group of Anarchists. Secrets are hard to keep and the stakes aren't that high--it's not the French Resistance after all--though the perpetrator(s) of these crimes have just upped the ante.

Has anyone asked the Hell's Angels over at the "Wild Bunch" building/bar? (what is that place?) on Wealthy if they know of anyone who might be upset about more people actually frequenting Wealthy St. and therefore potentially disrupting illegal activities like drug-running, prostitution rings, racketeering etc... I mean, they've been there for ever and must know all the people in the "old neighborhood". Joking aside, the Hell's Angels would totally burn your house down if it was causing them grief. Is that place even there anymore?

Seriously though, what is the motive here? When I was growing up, Wealthy St. was the center of African-American Grand Rapids and easily one of the poorest neighborhoods in the city and no one gave a hoot about it. Not to excuse or sympathize with the small number of people who would use violence to further their cause, but I think it would rankle me if I grew up in that neighborhood and suddenly--in the midst of the hardest economic times in my life--the neighborhood is improving (as if magically! Where does the money come from?!) but the only people who seem to be able to enjoy the improvements are educated white people. All the while politicians then seem to blame the poorest people--not the speculators who caused the collapse--for the economic collapse by taking away all services, de-funding public education and the like. Anyway, everyone on this forum knows that gentrification is complicated and that as much as I like--and see as necessary--the redevelopment of old neighborhoods, infill etc...there are probably just as many for who see these new businesses as another sign that the only people getting ahead are those who went to good schools in the 'burbs and now have the temerity to claim old neighborhoods for themselves. For me, it's a situation that provides enough motive to create a "lone wolf"--which is what this feels like to me as opposed to a group of Anarchists. Secrets are hard to keep and the stakes aren't that high--it's not the French Resistance after all--though the perpetrator(s) of these crimes have just upped the ante.

I had a similar, but different discussion with someone about this. Both of us agreed that we didn't think drug dealers would be doing this. Why would they want months and months of stepped up police patrols in the area, and neighborhood watch's set up, etc.? They don't want any attention brought to their area whatsoever. We even jokingly speculated whether the local drug dealers may have seen some suspicious activity in the area.

I personally don't know anything about the Wild Bunch place and who frequents it. I don't think I've ever seen anyone coming and going from there.

And the notion that only white people are enjoying the newfound safety, security and investment in the area is insulting to the black people who live in that area and own businesses. As if to suggest they prefer boarded up buildings and crime is absurd (as I've been told by several blacks who live in that area) and stems mostly from a bunch of white guilt, if you ask me.

BTW, the reward was announced today and it's up to $20,000.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=6i5ogxdab&v=001GW57Qq-hwGS8J2pkJsvXfHvYOiS4V9bJnlkH8wwLbyQ0_Zsc7uWSUYoPv_jXRU5HBWvfbg4QootSbK5jUCe3KDc8feYQMn81szeDsRIQRE4R223qz5ctPAdCg0yZbiYAIc9-pmatWnlMJ4EjvvG8GQ%3D%3D

If I had to guess based on the language used by the people doing this, it'd be one or a few white kids in their late teens/early 20's. Perhaps they could be a little older. I've never heard an African American use the term "Yuppie". Not to say they do not. I was hoping that term became obsolete, and went the way of the bad hair of the 80's. No the type of people I know who would do this are spoon fed liberals, who have maybe taken a few sociology classes. They talk about saving the earth but all they do is smoke pot, and smell like patchouli. They are also convinced that people in higher tax brackets have a vested interest in keeping the poor, poor. So taking social justice into their own hands they want to take these "rich peoples" houses stick it to the man, and share all their money!

Plus, this is way more fun than "letting the FBI do it." I will say, though, that I'm not convinced this is a racial thing at all, at least not in terms of who is doing it. I think the guess that it's a spoonfed liberal with too many sociology classes under their belt is probably dead on, though. I'm sure they seem themselves as some modern day Robin Hood saving the homes of the poor, all the while ignoring that increasing property values HELPS poor people. Or, perhaps its just someone upset with the loss of all the great cultural institutions in that area as they are shoved aside for trendy restaurants. Errr ... Scratch that. Must be someone who has a beef with paint and shingles on empty buildings. Unless, of course, you considered boarded up hovels a culture worth preserving. :dontknow:

And how have the professionals done so far? We're going on 2 1/2 mos and nothing.

Unlike TV shows, most crimes like this are solved because of tips from the public. If discussions like this get people talking about their suspicions, more power to the people.

I don't know, looking at the picture when they first attacked the winchester I think it completely has to do with class or you could call it lifestyle. Knowing what that section of town was and then looking at a sign of some guy on a red bike named winchester would kind of annoy me as well. It's clearly someone who doesn't like what their neighborhood is turning into and these businesses mean the best but at the surface it seems pretentious. Now these 'kids' took it too far and just how to catch them, i don't know besides what has been said. They'll eventually foul up and their time will come. I would think they want to get caught and have their message heard otherwise how can something like this just go away?

Plus, this is way more fun than "letting the FBI do it." I will say, though, that I'm not convinced this is a racial thing at all, at least not in terms of who is doing it. I think the guess that it's a spoonfed liberal with too many sociology classes under their belt is probably dead on, though. I'm sure they seem themselves as some modern day Robin Hood saving the homes of the poor, all the while ignoring that increasing property values HELPS poor people. Or, perhaps its just someone upset with the loss of all the great cultural institutions in that area as they are shoved aside for trendy restaurants. Errr ... Scratch that. Must be someone who has a beef with paint and shingles on empty buildings. Unless, of course, you considered boarded up hovels a culture worth preserving. :dontknow:

I think you're right. I wouldn't characterize them as "spoon-fed liberals" though. Radical leftists maybe? I don't actually think it's high schoolers either. I think they may actually be older, maybe in their 30's.

My guess is, they, like many anarchists, are fighting for a "cause" without even asking the people they are "defending" whether they even want to be defended or not. There may be a few people in the neighborhood who are happy with all of the threats and vandalism, but my guess is most are not. As someone mentioned at the neighborhood meeting the other night, the Wealthy Street area is probably the most diverse in the entire city. I'm hard pressed to think of one business or resident that was forcibly moved out because of all of the new redevelopment (other than the crack dealers that Guy Bazzani said use to have a base on Wealthy Street, who left the area a while ago). I'm working on getting some stats, but I don't think average rents have gone up, and housing prices are definitely down.

We are talking about a neighborhood that MCDONALDS bailed on because it was so bad. Mcdonalds never closes restaurants! It was definately a real gem before all the investment started pouring in. I can totally see why someone would want it the way it was.

I don't know, looking at the picture when they first attacked the winchester I think it completely has to do with class or you could call it lifestyle. Knowing what that section of town was and then looking at a sign of some guy on a red bike named winchester would kind of annoy me as well. It's clearly someone who doesn't like what their neighborhood is turning into and these businesses mean the best but at the surface it seems pretentious. Now these 'kids' took it too far and just how to catch them, i don't know besides what has been said. They'll eventually foul up and their time will come. I would think they want to get caught and have their message heard otherwise how can something like this just go away?

I cannot even begin to wonder what magic existed on that street back then that would make anyone nostalgic.

My family home was just south of Hall from the late 80s till just 2 years ago. My grandparents lived on Bates from the 50s to about 2006. So I remember very well how rundown and embarrassing that street was back then.

Even today it still has several buildings and houses occupied by the "old neighbors" that line the road, and they are as rundown as they were back then! Just look at the houses behind the Sparrows, or the Family Dollar store, the former site of the McDonalds, the boarded up purple building next to Literary Life bookstore or D&G liquor store or even the Wealthy Street Market!

And that isnt even half of it! The area is still filled with much of the ghetto environment that these guys hold so near and dear. I'm just happy that the street is walkable, and I dont have to lock my doors when I stop at the light.

Apparently whatever changes have taken place, this clown is still there, so there goes his whole "thesis" about being run out of the area in the first place.

If the people that were there really cared about the place, they would have no issues today. But hey, lets just terrorize people that do care to cover for their failings?

FIRE TRUCKS AND COPS AT THE TOWNHOUSES! @12:30!

Looking right now from my window! Did these guys just hit us again?

Good grief!

Not sure what happened, but it looks like they all cleared out around 12:40.

False alarm.

Easy Urbanist, let's not start a panic. They were probably there doing more investigative work.

Archived