2011 Wishlist

goodbye

It's already that time again, and hopefully 2011 will be an improvement in many ways.

The Greenville News has published a nice article regarding the dreams of several community leaders for the next year. Mayor White is optimistic and said, “I think in 2011, the skyline of Greenville will change yet again. We have a number of conspicuous downtown projects that will move forward on Main Street in 2011.” I assume he is at least partially referring to Washington Square, The Peace Center, and perhaps Reedy Square or even the new federal courthouse. Hopefully there are at least a couple of additional conspicuous downtown projects that have yet to be announced publicly.

Another article published by The Greenville News yesterday revealed that the City of Greenville grew by 10.3% during the last decade. With an estimated total population now officially at 61,782, the city very deceptively remains 6th largest in the state. "The comparison to other cities may hurt the area when it comes to landing retailers and federal funding, both of which tend to hang on population calculations, said Greenville Mayor Knox White and City Councilman David Sudduth. It often takes a direct sales pitch to convince a new store of Greenville’s burgeoning metropolitan area." Standing in the path of rapid annexation are restrictive state laws and numerous special purpose districts. The City has successfully accomplished one agreement with a fire district and is currently in negotiations with the Parker Fire and Sewer District.

Yet another recent article revealed that Greenville County added an estimated 72,000 residents during the last decade.

So, with or without this information in mind, what are you hoping will happen in the Greenville metro area during 2011?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are always fun to make! In no particular order:

1. Reedy Square construction gets underway

2. Washington Square is unveiled and begins construction

3. Progress in clearing the way for the HUGE West End park

4. Swamp Rabbit Trail expansion (at least south to Parkins Mill Rd)

5. Greenlink improvements continue

6. Further development along Augusta and Rhett Streets in the West End

7. Positive progress towards Stone Avenue's redevelopment (ideally, a development or two, and/or some good news related to its street diet potential)

8. More apartments announced/begin construction downtown

9. CU-ICAR's momentum continues as more construction and jobs are announced...

10. More public art!

I didn't include these because they're ALMOST certain to happen:

Church Street, and Brown Street makeovers. Fairforest Way overhaul completed. Peace Center remodel. Proterra facility construction. GSP expansion underway. Cleveland Park's $1 Million makeover wraps up.

I feel like I was fairly realistic. Anyone more daring? :)

In no particular order as they're all important to me:

1. More downtown infill and redevelopment like you saw with Main at Broad and Riverplace.

2. More road improvement projects like you're seeing with Fairforest Way and Church Street throughout the city.

3. Stone Avenue and Haywood Road masterplans begin to get implemented through mixed-use development projects and complete street initiatives.

4. Stalled projects in the downtown and metro areas from the Peacock Hotel & Spa to Magnolia Park start/re-start construction.

5. Landing a major headquarters for Washington Square downtown with it then beginning construction. Borders or Barnes & Noble attached.

6. More powerline burials, sidewalks, bike lanes, and landscaping projects.

7. Bus Rapid Transit gets funding and other Greenlink improvements continue to be added throughout system.

8. Another major low-cost airline carrier for GSP like JetBlue with expansion starting construction.

9. More involvement within the city from major state universities like Clemson and USC.

10. A fix to the Woodruff Road nightmare.

11. Less sprawl and more urbanity.

12. More parks, bike trails, etc. from Greenville Rec through implementation of TRAC plan. This includes Swamp Rabbit Trail, Reedy Square, and Blue Wall Center.

13. More residents continue to get added into the city limits through vigorous annexation methods.

14. The Drive and Road Warriors create a joint team system to support one another.

15. A major expansion is announced for Haywood Mall that will bring in new national high-end retail tenants currently not in the market.

Realistic but wishful ....

1) Washington Square is announced, is a great project both in terms of it's mix of uses and it's architecture, and construction is well underway by year-end.

2) At least one other major construction project, such a the new Riverplace apartment building project starts construction during the year.

3) North Main from Academy to Stone is streetscaped with parking and trees.

4) Reedy Square funding is secured and bids go out by year-end.

5) The city makes progress toward relocating Public works outside of the Reedy River Park footprint. At a minimum, a new location is secured.

6) Significant annexations occur during the year.

7) A rendering of the Hyatt renovation is unveiled.

8) A new building in ICAR is announced.

Here are a few of my realistic wishes. I'll probably add more wishes later and then go for an unrealistic dream or two around the start of the new year.

• Local start-up businesses grow create lots of new jobs.
  • A prominent large corporation announces plans to fill new downtown office space.
  • Communities throughout the entire metro area successfully implement an effective version of the Better Block Project. ()
  • The City focuses greater attention on attracting and supporting small local businesses, while continuing to make both significant and subtle improvements to all districts in and around downtown.
  • The City and its residents improve the utilization and quality of "new" social networking technology to constantly share and receive noteworthy information.
  • Businesses and individuals increase financial support for good local non-profit organizations.
  • All planned construction projects are at least well underway before the next year starts.

Likely won't get to more realistic wishes before midnight, so here are a few unrealistic dreams for 2011...

A very high quality international village is announced for downtown and construction begins.

A truly unique signature tower design is unveiled and adequate funding for its construction is achieved.

A professional men's soccer team is announced along with plans to build a new stadium in or near downtown.

The state allows Greenville Tech the opportunity to pursue full 4-year college status.

St. Francis decides to resurrect plan for a new hospital at Millennium Campus (in addition to their most recently rumored plans to expand in town).

A new television show is officially announced and the pilot episode is shot in the metro area, with plans for an indefinite number of seasons here.

With that in mind, the film industry in Greenville explodes into a raging inferno of activity, including the announcement of a new nationally recognized independent film festival.

The City and surrounding municipalities secure a "permanent" home for the national cycling championships, including additional international exposure year-round.

Howsabout a good quality Ethiopian restaurant downtown? (Hold the tasteless 1980's jokes.) Great food. Or Argentinian. mmmm.....

I love seeing all the "international" restaurants downtown. It encourages "lets just walk around and see what hits us" kind of dining.

I'm surprised that our large French and German populace don't have more downtown offerings. Hmmm. Affordable French; is that possible? dontknow.gif

Howsabout a good quality Ethiopian restaurant downtown? (Hold the tasteless 1980's jokes.) Great food. Or Argentinian. mmmm.....

I love seeing all the "international" restaurants downtown. It encourages "lets just walk around and see what hits us" kind of dining.

I'm surprised that our large French and German populace don't have more downtown offerings. Hmmm. Affordable French; is that possible? dontknow.gif

The owner of Cantinflas is hoping to open (read the last paragraph) a more common/affordable French restaurant in Greenville soon. I don't know the current status, but he recently bought a restaurant in Lyon, France.

A new television show is officially announced and the pilot episode is shot in the metro area...

This may be more realistic than my post implied. I don't know if it will happen this year though.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived