MTSUBlueraider86

I have been thinking about a possible list of what may happen and what will not happen. I hope for all of these but the chance of more than one is 50% at best. So lets look at my list:

1) The Omni Hotel. 75%-90% this will break ground in my opinion. It could take another year but not likely.

2) West End Summit. After ten years this project may actually start coming out of the ground by summer. I give it 50%

3) The Patel Property on West End. After more than a year since the initial ground development this actually may happen. Hotels are trendy and Nashville needs some new properties. I give it 30%

4) The Lionstone Building. At this point I would give it 1%-5% of ever happening. After the legal battles with Joy Ford, this was a bust and Mrs. Ford is laughing about the whole thing.

5) Signature Tower. 1% at best. The new MCC could be the spark that lights this but I am 99% sure it wont at this point.

6) The Westin Hotel. Another 1% chance project. Maybe this will be revisited with the MCC as far along as it is.

7) The Southland Project. This project next to the Hampton on Elliston Place. I give it a 90% chance. Nashville need more upscale rentals in the urban core.

8) The Eakin Twin Towers on 12th and Demonbreun. 1% chance although the rental and condo market could have a resurgence if housing starts improve.

9) Pine Street Lofts. 5% Chance. With the Velocity going rental, there may be no need for this development at all.

10) The W Hotel. 1% although they still have interest in Nashville but most likely not on the Roundabout as initially planned.

11) New Sounds Stadium. 10% that we will have an official announcement on a location and a start date which could be years away.

12) Hotel Project @ the FYE Building. This is the old Tower site. I give it 20% depending if Patel does his project or not.

That is the top 12. There may be other projects I missed. Griffin Plaza could be 13 but the property has been sold and no mention of this since Bill Barkley told ESU and myself if was ready to go three years ago when we saw him in East Nashville Five Points.

I think we have a solid two projects. The Omni Hotel and the Southland Project with West End Summit a distant third. Any ideas? Please post them.

BR86

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good list. One thing I would like to add is a Dedicated Funding Source in place for Regional Mass Transit.

I really think a modern Streetcar system throughout downtown, west end, and ending at St. Thomas Hospital would be a huge economic boom and a great step in the right direction to get Nashvillians away from their cars.

I think Lightrail would be great, but further away, as well as more commuter rails from Nashville to Murfreesboro, Franklin, Clarksville, and Columbia.

I took the Acela Amtrak train from DC to NYC two days ago, I really want Tennessee to be aggressive and build a Maglev high speed rail connecting Nashville to Atlanta. Georgia seems on board, and we need to act quickly. Having worked for Senator Corker who supports this plan, I say we have a chance at getting it if we receive enough federal funding.

Finally, I think West End Summit will eventually happen, as well as a small Signature Tower (at some point).

Assuming the Omni Hotel is pretty much a done deal...

1. A solid committment toward installing light rail beginning with funding to build a line along the West End Corridor.

2. The beginning of construction on the West End Summit.

3. Announcement of plans to build a HQ for Lockheed-Martin on the Signature lot (45 stories/725 ft).

4. A deal completed to begin construction on a new Sounds ballpark. (expandable to major league proportions if necessary) And convert the current park to a soccer stadium.

5. Conversion of the old downtown library to a community performing arts center for community theater, dance, music recitals, concerts and arts classes.

Based on substantiated rumor, Lockheed is looking for "only" 20,000 square ft. it may not end up downtown even. It is hardly going to take up 45 stories. It is hardly a HQ move. It is supposedly for a healthcare technology arm of the company - a "small" division. Still good news. Still significant source of good jobs, but...

Here's a look into the 2011 "built fabric crystal ball" — with both hoped-for and expected projects.

First, the large-scale developments that have been announced as slated for a 2011 start date.

* Omni Hotel: 95 percent certain construction on this project will materialize.

* Ryman Lofts on Rolling Mill Hill: 80 percent certain.

* Southern Land project on Elliston: 75 percent certain.

* Hotel at FYE site: 60 percent certain.

* Patel project: 50-50. The project announced for the FYE building could impact the Patel effort.

* West End Summit Building I: 50-50.

* African-American Museum: 10-20 percent certain.

And for the smaller developments, I would like to see...

* ... The Square at Fourth and Madison (in Germantown) fully materialize. Some work has been done but it seems intermittent.

* ... start on the proposed LEED building in the Gulch on Division Street and "behind" Icon.

* ... start on a new Greyhound Bus terminal on Lafayette Street. Of course, a cutting-edge designed would be needed.

* ... the saving of the vintage brick gem that sits in the footprint of the future SoBro roundabout (I've been told the building could actually be moved.)

WW

I want to see the empty space inside the Bridgestone Arena completed into a music venue. I'm not sure how many are aware of this, but there is a sizeable area inside the arena (which was originally intended to be a concert hall) that remains empty. Even as a Predators season ticket holder, i've never seen this space. But if you walk outside the building (north on 5th from Demonbreun) and then back south inside the building, it is obvious how much space there is. I've read articles that say that Powers Management (the building management team for the Predators ownership group) wants to develop, but wants city contribution. The city doesn't want to contribute (which is understandable), but surely there is a use for this space.

I've heard it's only about a 1500-4000 seat (or standing room) venue, which is smaller than The Ryman (but perhaps similar to The Schermerhorn or Exit/In). It's hard to tell without actually seeing it, but i hear it was designed to be a "venue". But i'm sure there are other competing venues in the area.

Either way, it's wasted space in the core and could certainly be of high value/use.

I want to see the empty space inside the Bridgestone Arena completed into a music venue. I'm not sure how many are aware of this, but there is a sizeable area inside the arena (which was originally intended to be a concert hall) that remains empty. Even as a Predators season ticket holder, i've never seen this space. But if you walk outside the building (north on 5th from Demonbreun) and then back south inside the building, it is obvious how much space there is. I've read articles that say that Powers Management (the building management team for the Predators ownership group) wants to develop, but wants city contribution. The city doesn't want to contribute (which is understandable), but surely there is a use for this space.

I've heard it's only about a 1500-4000 seat (or standing room) venue, which is smaller than The Ryman (but perhaps similar to The Schermerhorn or Exit/In). It's hard to tell without actually seeing it, but i hear it was designed to be a "venue". But i'm sure there are other competing venues in the area.

Either way, it's wasted space in the core and could certainly be of high value/use.

Because of my work I have actually been in it many times. Originally it was designed to be a back of house TV production studio. It is currently used quite frequently by touring acts as a rehearsal space for their tours. It has high ceilings and rigging capabilities along with a dedicated dock space so it works well for this. My personal belief is it would not be suited for a nice intimate concert hall. When you consider the new CMHOF space that will come online in 2013 with an 800 plus theater and the desire from the Mayors office for an ampitheater, there leaves little chance the City wants to build another venue.

Archived