Does BR Need a New 2nd Tallest?

richyb83

I have one this a 20 story building    attachicon.gif517-709.jpg

I'll edit it in. 

FANTASTIC work Mr.Bernham!!  Thanks for doing that! :shades:  You will have to do a tutorial for me on HOW do this??  I would like to do that to this with the "Google Earth 3-D images(i'll post image next time)

The RSA Tower is EXACTLY where I would locate BR's new Signature Tower on Fourth Street...whether it be the New 1st or 2nd Tallest! I like how you put the other high-rise towers a lil' further back on Fifth or Sixth Street...that skyline pic has the tower-cranes building the II City Plaza & new Courthouse.  Those two buildings really added some nice "density" on the south end of the CBD when they were completed a couple years ago! Cant wait to see new skyline pics with the IBM Block too...Every little bit helps BR's Malnutritioned Skyline!

Thanks!  :)

I started picture editing about four years ago and have certainly come a long way. The best part is I use a free software called pixlr. The trick is to get a skyline picture of relatively good quality, find pictures of the buildings you want to feature all taken at a similar angle as the original skyline picture, use the straight lasso tool to cut them out, then copy and paste to a new layer on the original skyline. After that move the tower around and down size it to fit the picture and scale then find the place you want it, then move it and lasso an outline of the buildings from the original skyline picture then put the tower back and erase the parts that will show the buildings in front of it. 

Sorry if that was confusing...lol

But I think a new signature tower would work best in the middle of the skyline and have smaller ones surrounding it to give the impression of 'building up to the peak'. I would probably try and fit one between One American Place and the new blue tower that would be a tad taller than those two. Then I would try and fit one to the left hand side of One American Place and one next to the tallest Chase building. Finally I would put maybe one or two buy the State Capital to connect the skyline together. With those additions Baton Rouge would have one hell of a skyline...I think I'll do an edit of that. 

I agree that we need some updated skyline pictures. Most of them are from the late 2000's - early 2010's. 

So here is a more full skyline and comparisons for Skyline transformation

i3s8ko.png

Baton Rouge Skyline Proposed Transformation: 

2015:

BatonRougeSkyline.JPG

2025:

1zntm35.png

2035:

i3s8ko.png

This skyline would be the tallest and most robust in the Gulf South next to Houston and would have five of the states ten tallest buildings. Imagine this skyline at night...

And to 'cap it off'  ;)  here is a gif of the transformation: 

post-29923-0-76749500-1429599135_thumb.g

Edited by mr. bernham

I appreciate the info Mr Bernham :thumbsup: Will have to check that out! That's so cool how you did that! Love the GIF!!   Great timeline....maybe the high-rise on the right can be a high-rise convention center-style hotel??

Speaking of "Vanity" height....see that in 2035 you added Atlanta's Bank of America....only 55-stories; but 1,040 ft tall bec of the Spire/obelisk ...that gives them the claim of "South's Tallest Building"; even though Houston's 75-story Chase Tower is 1,002'ft w the flat roof...would like to put those two side-by-side ....no contest IMO

Here is one of the Google 3-D images I would like to add on to; though I like your angle of the skyline too...my favorite view would be a top the Miss River Bridge

GoogleEarthDowntownBR_zps8eec8e06.jpg

Cool Greg225....Here' the one I posted April Fool's before last..saying this would be Water Campus Tallest building

2014_01_carmelolive_zps42f0f0dc.jpg

And...Here's a little article...2014 was the Busiest Skyscraper year on record...China can take the most credit...a post-recession recovery?

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/13/7540261/skyscraper-construction-record-set-2014

• Like 1

To Mr.B ...maybe someday, although by then big cities will have moved on to 5,000 for towers.

That's really interesting Richy! I wouldn't have thought any year could beat Dubai's Pre-Great Recession skyscraper gold rush. I'd be a little scared to live in those Chinese towers, I remember reading an article once where a Chinese apartment tower fell over in one piece like a domino, luckily it wasn't occupied yet.

I appreciate the info Mr Bernham :thumbsup: Will have to check that out! That's so cool how you did that! Love the GIF!!   Great timeline....maybe the high-rise on the right can be a high-rise convention center-style hotel??

Speaking of "Vanity" height....see that in 2035 you added Atlanta's Bank of America....only 55-stories; but 1,040 ft tall bec of the Spire/obelisk ...that gives them the claim of "South's Tallest Building"; even though Houston's 75-story Chase Tower is 1,002'ft w the flat roof...would like to put those two side-by-side ....no contest IMO

Here is one of the Google 3-D images I would like to add on to; though I like your angle of the skyline too...my favorite view would be a top the Miss River Bridge

GoogleEarthDowntownBR_zps8eec8e06.jpg

Cool Greg225....Here' the one I posted April Fool's before last..saying this would be Water Campus Tallest building

2014_01_carmelolive_zps42f0f0dc.jpg

And...Here's a little article...2014 was the Busiest Skyscraper year on record...China can take the most credit...a post-recession recovery?

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/13/7540261/skyscraper-construction-record-set-2014

Either one can be done.

I think the IBM facility adds depth to the skyline.

I would like to see something larger and iconic go along the river now. I have no idea what it would be, but I suspect a large new hotel will be added at some point in the relatively near future.

Hotels tend to be kind of meh.

Humph ... lol!

This one could definitely work. Art Deco is pretty much are signature.

That looks good. Where is that from?

Edited by cajun

Nah Antrell...just mostly reiterating the 1st few post(from everybody) what was said when this Topic began ...and those pics don't even show up  anymore...just procrastinated; then moved into new house; etc...the activity here in BR has been decently steady w a few lulls...just wanted to spark the Fire! :thumbsup:

Thought abt renaming this Topic  several times to " I Want a New 2nd Tallest".... rather Does BR Need a 2nd Tallest"? And Dan's idea of needing a New Tallest Works well too!  Just didn't want to get carried away being the State Capitol being 450ft' tall...seemed more realistic for the 310'ft One American Place(left some wiggle room)...a nice building for the 70's & 80's...but NO WAY it should STILL be BR's 2nd Tallest in the year 2015!

185_zpshxuogalq.jpg

I'm a firm believer in "Build it and They Will Come"....fact is if a large company wanted to move their offices to downtown needing anything OVER 10,000 square...BR would not be able to accommodate them...IBM had this problem before the wheeling & dealing...Jindal/Holden/Moret etc...need to make this happen!

If Mobile(hurricanes & all) was able to pull off the impressive 35-story RSA Tower(built in 2007).. then Baton Rouge should be able to do something nearly the same??  Mobile announced to the rest of the World..."We are OPEN for Business" In the new millennium !!....kinda hard to do that with a few buildings built in the late 60's/70's like BR.(No offense to the new 12-story II City Plaza)....

They even added major "Vanity" height...making a 35-story tower = 745ft'...Now laying claim to Gulf South Tallest skyscraper btwn Houston & Miami! Even taller than the 51-story One Shell Plaza in NOLA...

RSA-Mobile_zpskkgx12n0.png

http://www.sdlal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/RSA-Mobile.png

Austin TX  has the Bank of America Center..... a slightly taller replica/cousin to BR's One American Place at 330'ft tall(20'ft taller)...yet it's ONLY their 13th Tallest Building in the city!  No way a city BR's size should have ONLY Two High-rise Towers Taller than 300' feet!! BTW the South Chase Bank Tower is 3rd Tallest at 277'ft

56_BOA_Center_001___small_zpsmmewymlu.jp

didn't want this post to be too long...got more on this soon!

Edited by richyb83

Ooops meant to post this...it's from Nashville...why I hate posting BIG replies on the last/bottom of the page...easy to miss

This is what I meant to post...still have a few more too

Yes indeed Dan! Your Idea For Signature Tower was one of my All-time Favorite topics for BR here on UP! Wow...that's Out the Box! That would surely put Baton Rouge on the map...and say BR is Open for Business"! The bends/waves in the tower could be iconic for the Mississippi River....almost get dizzy looking at it! LOL....BTW How tall is it??

Omaha moved into the new millennium (replacing the fossil Woodman Tower-1969)...w "New Tallest" First National Bank Tower in 2002....45-floors/634'ft.....might this design work for BR? Even if it were 30-stories/420'ft

First20Natl20Bank_zpsvndpdh4v.jpg

Raleigh NC...got their New Tallest in 08' PNC Plaza (33-floors/517'ft w/ spire) ... not the most attractive..but still cool idea being a mixed-use building ...7-floors of parking...11-office...15-condos

rbc2resize_may09_zpsmseforuo.jpg

Nashville's 4th Tallest building...the Pinnacle Tower(built 2010)...29-floors/417'ft.....would be perfect in one of the surface parking lots along Fourth Street corridor esp. btwn One American Place & Chase Towers...& become BR's New 2nd Tallest

Pinnacle-Building-Nashville_zpshh4m5qom.

Have a few more...but will stop for now

Could you please post a high-rise tower that may not be outdated in 2040?  I have a few more I will post soon...including OKC's Devon Tower.... Might that design stand the test of time?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess? While they may be out dated by 2040(I think Omaha's stays the course; not RSA in Mobile?)...they can never look as bad as One American Place does now....Some buildings are timeless...like Chrysler Building & Empire State Bldg in NYC....& One American Place is "OK" on its best day...just not as 2nd Tallest for a city BR's Size. JMO

Cajun...the River Place condotel is SCREAMING to be built!

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 2

Cajun...the River Place condotel is SCREAMING to be built!

Yes it is, but with DBR reaching 1,000 hotel rooms I don't think you should over-saturate the market. Maybe a condotower with office space, hotel space, and convention space?

Personally I think the one style that is almost timeless is Art Deco. The capitol building is almost 100 years old, but never goes out of style. It's just a classy building. 

I think One American could have looked better if it was smoother and better proportioned like the Austin version and didn't have that big growth on the top.

I think in our case, glass may be better than stone for a tall building. I partly think it'll only look as new as it is clean and with Exxon in the background, cleaning would probably be an exercise in futility.

Edited by dan326
  • Like 1

Love those two skyscrapers!  BoA (wedding cake) put Charlotte on another level...and love the "skygarden" design near top of the Main Place Tower/built -2011 (one of my favorites in Houston).....I eventually would have eventually posted that one in this thread(if we are talking favorites)...impressive to think it's only their 15th Tallest building at 630'ft/46-stories...would look nice on Fourth Street in BR!

Those tall buildings mentioned above(except Nashville) were as much about other cities building "New" Tallest in millennium  moreso(liking them; not necessarily just favorites) ...bec i'm not a fan of the Raleigh PNC Tower..Their new tallest

>>If One American Place were 4th or 5th Tallest in BR....probably would not have even made this thread...too bad BR had all those "failed" proposals in the 80's(Fidelity Bank Tower & Centroplex towers), 90's(Laurel Plaza) + River Place

Glass & stone blend like the new IBM Office looks really...with 3 more just like it stacked on top! =32 floors

Also built in 2011...the Devon Center50-floors/844' ft...changed a mundane/run of the mill/bland skyline of OKC..& took it to another level...Chop it in 1/2 half...to 25-floors/422'ft...& it would still easily be BR's 2nd Tallest building

pc_devon04_aug062013_zpsywy9e7k0.jpg

Got another one to post when its not so late

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

Yesh Devon Tower in OKC is 844' feet tall & next tallest is 500'...it's all about placement ...Devon Center is on the south-end of the skyline & so the other builings are further back making them look even shorter.

Crazy design for NYC...Can they really pull that off? True with a ground floor lobby that would look nice next to IBM!

Funny thing done in Cincinnati with their New Tallest...the art deco Carew Tower (574'ft) had been the city's Tallest since 1931..hint hint...but then in 2011 the Great American Tower was built...they added 130'ft of  vanity height w Queen's(city) tiara lol ! 41-stories/665ft'

The design of the tower is OK....But not a fan of the crown...maybe no the best pic

queencitysquare-1_zpsfq84bou8.jpg

Yeah, the placement of Devon Tower is strange, I guess they're expecting more development.

The crown looks ~ok, I think they should have made it glass instead of that open lattice.

Like someone else mentioned, our new tallest would probably be a condotel. If RiverPlace is still in the works, hopefully it's been redesigned,

Edited by dan326

post-30341-0-81662700-1430763321_thumb.j    Baton Rouge could use a space needle to change the skyline.                                                                                                       post-30341-0-25675200-1430763432_thumb.j  40 story The  in  Gherkin in London.

Edited by greg225

Tokyo Skytree is nice, as is Sydney Tower and Munich's Olympic Tower and Berlin's Berliner Fernsehturm. Personally I would rather see something like this in a park or lush green landscape rather than the center of downtown. Maybe City Park would be a good place for one?

Hey BRPJ...Always good to see you posting...that's a cool looking sketch! You got the right idea!  :thumbsup:  Is the Exxon Tower on the riverfront (500-600'ft tall?)..or a lil' further back on Fourth Street(750'ft tall?)? I like the futuristic observation tower too! & the Skyscraper with the diagonal top!! That looks like an economic bar chart chart saying BR is Open for Business! Been there/Done That!

Thanks for all of the replies...I will have to find an old sketch of mine(similar to above) with my Red Stick Observation Tower...along the riverfront; maybe around the Atrium area btwn River Center & I-10 Bridge.....

Never thought of Mr. Bernam's idea with the observation tower being in City Park...that's a lil' more toward the city's geographical center; and would be able to see more of BR from there with it being well above the tree line.

Will always like the Space Needle...the one in Toronto (CN Tower) also comes to mind...