Does BR Need a New 2nd Tallest?

richyb83

If the state was to invest 1 billion to upgrade EBR  transit over the next 10 years our parish would be more modern.  Modern Streetcar/light rail system, BRT System, expand the trolley service, new bus, and update the transit shelters.  

Amen to that! 

I think that with the new Sales Tax increase and other new transportation taxes, the state will pull in almost 12 billion dollars over the next ten years. No reason half of that shouldn't go towards upgrading public transportation in the states four biggest cities; New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, and Shreveport. Maybe even constructing a high-speed rail line that connects Shreveport to Lafayette, Lafayette to Baton Rouge, and Baton Rouge to New Orleans. 

Yeah, when I was told I pointed all of this out to the guy who told me. He just said that he felt that traffic along I-10/I-12 would be too much for some clients. They are sticking with a sprawl office, but I may be able to convince them otherwise. What's crazy is that the guy in charge lives ridiculously close to Downtown. 

How do you know this guy? This is a very well known problem that the state doesn't want to address. If they are building a large enough building, parking would likely be state subsidized.

How do you know this guy? This is a very well known problem that the state doesn't want to address. If they are building a large enough building, parking would likely be state subsidized.

I can't disclose that information at this point in time, though you will know soon enough. It's honestly nothing big anymore.

Planned Miami Sky Observaton Tower                                            Skyrise-Miami-Observation-Tower-picture-                                                                 http://skyrisemiami.com/            

Edited by greg225

Planned Miami Sky Observaton Tower                                            Skyrise-Miami-Observation-Tower-picture-                                                                 http://skyrisemiami.com/            

Miami is a great city! 

• 2 weeks later...

This thread title was always based on a "Longshot"....

Looks like the chances are even slimmer for a "NEW" 350' ft tall high-rise Class "A" office with this news <_< As long as an International Airport is ONLY 75 miles away from BR...it will always live under NOLA's shadow! ....AND...Larger cities in the south  like Dallas, Houston, Nashville, Austin, Atlanta....will find a way for one reason or another continue to act as a "Vacuum".... leaving BR with bread crumbs!

Albemarle considering relocating corporate offices outside Baton Rouge

https://www.businessreport.com/article/albemarle-considering-relocating-corporate-offices-outside-baton-rouge

Edited by richyb83

LOL!@ bread crumbs!

But it is pretty unfortunate, I couldn't bring myself to read the entire article. According to all the accounts, BR was chosen as the capital to be just far enough to not be considered a suburb of New Orleans. But I guess it could be said that atleast we're able to keep up with the times which is saying something??

This thread title was always based on a "Longshot"....

Looks like the chances are even slimmer for a "NEW" 350' ft tall high-rise Class "A" office with this news <_< As long as an International Airport is ONLY 75 miles away from BR...it will always live under NOLA's shadow! ....AND...Larger cities in the south  like Dallas, Houston, Nashville, Austin, Atlanta....will find a way for one reason or another continue to act as a "Vacuum".... leaving BR with bread crumbs!

Albemarle considering relocating corporate offices outside Baton Rouge

https://www.businessreport.com/article/albemarle-considering-relocating-corporate-offices-outside-baton-rouge

A lot of regions have two internationals airports. The BR Airport tried years ago to become a regional airport it was blocked by the metro council.

Edited by greg225

Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport similar aiport to BR Metro Airport, but bigger. They have more direct flights and even international flights. Paris, Toronto, Chicago, Atlanta, New York, etc.

Detroit - Beta Global city with 4,300,000 metro

Airport - 2 Terminals, 145 Gates

~=?

Baton Rouge - Honorable Mention in the US with 820,000 metro

Airport - 1 Terminal, 7 Gates

Edited by dan326

Detroit - Beta Global city with 4,300,000 metro

Airport - 2 Terminals, 145 Gates

~=?

Baton Rouge - Honorable Mention in the US with 820,000 metro

Airport - 1 Terminal, 7 Gates

I said "but bigger" the point I was making  Detroit is a Metro Airport. That you don't have be a international airport to be great airport. Our problem is different  Lafayette Regional Airport is 45 or 50 minutes away New Orleans International Airport 1 hour away.

Edited by greg225

Baton Rouge airport trying to lure more corporate travelers as a way to attract more flights

Officials with the Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport are working on ways to engage the business community and help corporate customers understand the importance of supporting the local airport as a way of, ultimately, increasing flight service here.

In conjunction with an economic impact study that began in May and will be completed next month, the airport is reaching out specifically to local businesses to determine what they need and also to ask for their help.

“We’re trying to get the community to give us more support,” says airport Executive Director Anthony Marino. “If we’re getting 50% of their volume, we’d like to move it up to 60%. Those increments can make a big difference because to expand we have to make sure what we already have is full.”

Airlines typically want all their flights out of a given airport to be 80% full before they will consider adding new service, Marino says. This year, the Baton Rouge airport is slightly below that threshold.

“If you fully utilize what you have, it dramatically improves your chances of getting new flights,” says airport spokesman Jim Caldwell.

Airport officials say they are constantly trying to get new and existing carriers to add routes to Baton Rouge, which does not serve as a hub and has no direct flights to major destinations. Those efforts involve putting together incentive packages, though federal regulations bar airports from spending more than a certain amount of money on direct airline incentives.

Marino says part of the airport’s new corporate outreach effort will involve trying to raise private funds to help put together incentive packages to increase air service. The campaign will also involve trying to stem “leakage,” or business that goes to Louis Armstrong International Airport in New Orleans.

“We want them to understand that while our fares may be a little more expensive, by the time you drive to New Orleans and pay for the parking you’re not saving any money,” Marino says.

Earlier this week, Daily Report reported that lack of direct air service was a factor in the decision of Baton Rouge-based Amedisys to open a satellite office that will house the majority of its corporate executives.

Local consulting firm Emergent Method is working on the corporate campaign as well as the economic impact study, which jointly are costing the airport about $80,000.  

https://www.businessreport.com/article/baton-rouge-airport-trying-lure-corporate-travelers-way-attract-flights#disqus_thread

• Like 1

This resort style development could work close to L'auberge                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             1161.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sweet...let me guess...that's going in the ever growing Uptown District? (cheated some researched it ha)....looks like it will be built near the super-cool looking Whole Foods.. i saw a few new high-rises going up(w tower cranes) but not sure if this Astoria was it?  This would look spectacular along BR's  River Road!

There are a few more skyscrapers under construction in downtown Houston....including another 29-story tower...Marriott Marquis next to the convention center/Discovery Green a few blocks from Minute Maid ball park...complete with "Texas-shaped Lazy River"!

Just happened to be in Houston less than two weeks ago...snapped this photo(mentioned by Antrell & myself several pages ago in this topic)...built in 2010...one of my favorite buildings at 630'ft/46-floors complete with "Skygarden"!  I would settle for BR to have something similar to this at 2/3rd the size...420ft' tall/30-floors along Fourth Street

DSCN1230_zpsczw0ncrb.jpg

May need to post some of my new Houston pics in their dormant thread...

Sweet...let me guess...that's going in the ever growing Uptown District? (cheated some researched it ha)....looks like it will be built near the super-cool looking Whole Foods.. i saw a few new high-rises going up(w tower cranes) but not sure if this Astoria was it?  This would look spectacular along BR's  River Road!

There are a few more skyscrapers under construction in downtown Houston....including another 29-story tower...Marriott Marquis next to the convention center/Discovery Green a few blocks from Minute Maid ball park...complete with "Texas-shaped Lazy River"!

Just happened to be in Houston less than two weeks ago...snapped this photo(mentioned by Antrell & myself several pages ago in this topic)...built in 2010...one of my favorite buildings at 630'ft/46-floors complete with "Skygarden"!  I would settle for BR to have something similar to this at 2/3rd the size...420ft' tall/30-floors along Fourth Street

DSCN1230_zpsczw0ncrb.jpg

May need to post some of my new Houston pics in their dormant thread...

Baton Rouge need to start building more up instead of out. I'm hoping more high rise development is built in Baton Rouge.

Edited by greg225

• 2 weeks later...

I said "but bigger" the point I was making  Detroit is a Metro Airport. That you don't have be a international airport to be great airport. Our problem is different  Lafayette Regional Airport is 45 or 50 minutes away New Orleans International Airport 1 hour away.

Detroit is a very high bar for BTR.  I'm taking a nice comfortable flight from DTW to CDG in a cute little Boeing 747-400 next week out of that "regional" airport.  

Baton Rouge needs more connections to airports like DTW, MSP, BWI, etc.   That would go a very long way for the airport.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

Detroit is a very high bar for BTR.  I'm taking a nice comfortable flight from DTW to CDG in a cute little Boeing 747-400 next week out of that "regional" airport.  

Baton Rouge needs more connections to airports like DTW, MSP, BWI, etc.   That would go a very long way for the airport.

Bingo.

The problem for airport officials is how do you make BTR look more attractive with its current roster of flights so that they can get more connections to DTW, LAX, MSP, BWI, JFK, ORD, etc. 

Edited by mr. bernham

Bingo.

The problem for airport officials is how do you make BTR look more attractive with its current roster of flights so that they can get more connections to DTW, LAX, MSP, BWI, JFK, ORD, etc. 

Bring those jobs here that create that demand. It's not going to come out of nowhere. I don't think I've ever flown out of BTR, and I had a chance to a couple weeks ago on my way to LA. It never crossed my mind actually.

• Like 1