Does BR Need a New 2nd Tallest?

richyb83

Ok, I just really thought of the question. Does Baton Rouge "need" a 2nd tallest? Well I'd have to say a slight no. I don't think many's people's perception of Baton Rouge would change except for Baton Rougeans and maybe people from other mid-sized cities. And we probably can't fill that much space. Now if we got a new tallest that might help, but without other economic indicators we might not get much improvement in perception from "important" people like companies/media.

• 4 years later...

From one 83 to another....no word yet oneman83!  Thanks for reminding me about this...time for me to make a few phone calls & ask a few people who might can answer this??

& THANKS for reviving the Thread from it's 3 year hiatus!!  You'd never believe it...but for months I've been meaning to revive this thread(esp last week during Easter/Spring Break)...almost as a petition...Stay tuned shortly as you will be seeing future post on this very subject!

Nah Antrell...just mostly reiterating the 1st few post(from everybody) what was said when this Topic began ...and those pics don't even show up  anymore...just procrastinated; then moved into new house; etc...the activity here in BR has been decently steady w a few lulls...just wanted to spark the Fire! :thumbsup:

Thought abt renaming this Topic  several times to " I Want a New 2nd Tallest".... rather Does BR Need a 2nd Tallest"? And Dan's idea of needing a New Tallest Works well too!  Just didn't want to get carried away being the State Capitol being 450ft' tall...seemed more realistic for the 310'ft One American Place(left some wiggle room)...a nice building for the 70's & 80's...but NO WAY it should STILL be BR's 2nd Tallest in the year 2015!

185_zpshxuogalq.jpg

I'm a firm believer in "Build it and They Will Come"....fact is if a large company wanted to move their offices to downtown needing anything OVER 10,000 square...BR would not be able to accommodate them...IBM had this problem before the wheeling & dealing...Jindal/Holden/Moret etc...need to make this happen!

If Mobile(hurricanes & all) was able to pull off the impressive 35-story RSA Tower(built in 2007).. then Baton Rouge should be able to do something nearly the same??  Mobile announced to the rest of the World..."We are OPEN for Business" In the new millennium !!....kinda hard to do that with a few buildings built in the late 60's/70's like BR.(No offense to the new 12-story II City Plaza)....

They even added major "Vanity" height...making a 35-story tower = 745ft'...Now laying claim to Gulf South Tallest skyscraper btwn Houston & Miami! Even taller than the 51-story One Shell Plaza in NOLA...

RSA-Mobile_zpskkgx12n0.png

http://www.sdlal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/RSA-Mobile.png

Austin TX  has the Bank of America Center..... a slightly taller replica/cousin to BR's One American Place at 330'ft tall(20'ft taller)...yet it's ONLY their 13th Tallest Building in the city!  No way a city BR's size should have ONLY Two High-rise Towers Taller than 300' feet!! BTW the South Chase Bank Tower is 3rd Tallest at 277'ft

56_BOA_Center_001___small_zpsmmewymlu.jp

didn't want this post to be too long...got more on this soon!

Edited by richyb83

Do you think the state should build a tower and lease or sell it after construction? Maybe federal dollars?

I just think that a private company would have done that by now if it were THAT desirable. We desperately need a new tower though, and it needs to be business!

Given how conservative we are most people would balk at the idea of the state doing that. The state should work with a company like Exxon or something like that to build the tower and lease it/sell it. 

I would say Baton Rouge should build three or five new towers, something to make the skyline more full and modern.

And Dan's idea of needing a New Tallest Works well too!  Just didn't want to get carried away being the State Capitol being 450ft' tall..

I'll definitely get carried away for you. :D I was googling new towers to post when I found one that looked like my idea for a signature tower I had posted years ago. Its located in Seoul in South Korea.

00737c8c_kims_tower_copy.jpgGT-Tower-East-West-elevation2.jpg

Untitled.png

Yes indeed Dan! Your Idea For Signature Tower was one of my All-time Favorite topics for BR here on UP! Wow...that's Out the Box! That would surely put Baton Rouge on the map...and say BR is Open for Business"! The bends/waves in the tower could be iconic for the Mississippi River....almost get dizzy looking at it! LOL....BTW How tall is it??

Omaha moved into the new millennium (replacing the fossil Woodman Tower-1969)...w "New Tallest" First National Bank Tower in 2002....45-floors/634'ft.....might this design work for BR? Even if it were 30-stories/420'ft

First20Natl20Bank_zpsvndpdh4v.jpg

Raleigh NC...got their New Tallest in 08' PNC Plaza (33-floors/517'ft w/ spire) ... not the most attractive..but still cool idea being a mixed-use building ...7-floors of parking...11-office...15-condos

rbc2resize_may09_zpsmseforuo.jpg

Nashville's 4th Tallest building...the Pinnacle Tower(built 2010)...29-floors/417'ft.....would be perfect in one of the surface parking lots along Fourth Street corridor esp. btwn One American Place & Chase Towers...& become BR's New 2nd Tallest

Pinnacle-Building-Nashville_zpshh4m5qom.

Have a few more...but will stop for now

This one could definitely work. Art Deco is pretty much are signature.

This. 

Baton Rouge's architectural style is Neo-Classical and Art Deco. I would call it Classical Deco and I think BR should definitely build some modern Neo-Art Deco buildings like the tower depicted in that last picture. 

So I took three of the towers shown on this page and edited them into the BR skyline to see what kind of impact similarly sized towers could make on the skyline and it does look more full, but it looks off just because of the camera angles. In short I think three new towers similar to some of the ones shown here would certainly be impressive. Now imagine that skyline with two or three more towers filling in some of the bare spots, and I think BR's skyline would rival New Orleans and even my own home town of Tampa. 

1zntm35.png

• Like 1

FANTASTIC work Mr.Bernham!!  Thanks for doing that! :shades:  You will have to do a tutorial for me on HOW do this??  I would like to do that to this with the "Google Earth 3-D images(i'll post image next time)

The RSA Tower is EXACTLY where I would locate BR's new Signature Tower on Fourth Street...whether it be the New 1st or 2nd Tallest! I like how you put the other high-rise towers a lil' further back on Fifth or Sixth Street...that skyline pic has the tower-cranes building the II City Plaza & new Courthouse.  Those two buildings really added some nice "density" on the south end of the CBD when they were completed a couple years ago! Cant wait to see new skyline pics with the IBM Block too...Every little bit helps BR's Malnutritioned Skyline!

So I took three of the towers shown on this page and edited them into the BR skyline to see what kind of impact similarly sized towers could make on the skyline and it does look more full, but it looks off just because of the camera angles. In short I think three new towers similar to some of the ones shown here would certainly be impressive. Now imagine that skyline with two or three more towers filling in some of the bare spots, and I think BR's skyline would rival New Orleans and even my own home town of Tampa. 

1zntm35.png

Greg 225...Where did you find that rendering? Never seen that before! Looks nice...would be cool to have something that height on the south side of the bridge.  I would have guess by looking at the entire Water Campus site plan renderings ; The tall building next to the bridge does look to be abt 18-20 floors.

Edited by richyb83

FANTASTIC work Mr.Bernham!!  Thanks for doing that! :shades:  You will have to do a tutorial for me on HOW do this??  I would like to do that to this with the "Google Earth 3-D images(i'll post image next time)

The RSA Tower is EXACTLY where I would locate BR's new Signature Tower on Fourth Street...whether it be the New 1st or 2nd Tallest! I like how you put the other high-rise towers a lil' further back on Fifth or Sixth Street...that skyline pic has the tower-cranes building the II City Plaza & new Courthouse.  Those two buildings really added some nice "density" on the south end of the CBD when they were completed a couple years ago! Cant wait to see new skyline pics with the IBM Block too...Every little bit helps BR's Malnutritioned Skyline!

Greg 225...Where did you find that rendering? Never seen that before! Looks nice...would be cool to have something that height on the south side of the bridge.  I would have guess by looking at the entire Water Campus site plan renderings ; The tall building next to the bridge does look to be abt 18-20 floors.

I search for 20 story buildings in google images just looking for different buildings that could fit the downtown area.