Does BR Need a New 2nd Tallest?

richyb83

Bring those jobs here that create that demand. It's not going to come out of nowhere. I don't think I've ever flown out of BTR, and I had a chance to a couple weeks ago on my way to LA. It never crossed my mind actually.

I've found BTR to be very useful for quick trips. The connections it has now are very convenient for southern trips, meetings, and competitions. 

The problem for BR is that it's hard to attract those white collar jobs when you lack connections to larger cities like Chicago, LA, and NYC. 

• Like 1

Bring those jobs here that create that demand. It's not going to come out of nowhere. I don't think I've ever flown out of BTR, and I had a chance to a couple weeks ago on my way to LA. It never crossed my mind actually.

BTR is one of my favorite airports to fly into.  They have reasonable ticket prices, usually not too many medallion members (so I'm more likely to get an upgrade on Deta), and you can easily get through security inside of 20 minutes.    

With the closure of the Memphis hub (after Delta bought Northwest), BTR lost the direct to MEM.  When TWA closed, it lost the direct to St. Louis.   

I would like Delta to add a connection to Detroit and United to add a connection into Denver...preferably on MD-90 or CRJ-900 aircraft.   Ideally, if Southwest were to get into BTR, it would have either a  BWI, DAL, MDW (Chicago Midway), or MCO (Orlando).  I think Frontier flies out to Denver as well.  

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've found BTR to be very useful for quick trips. The connections it has now are very convenient for southern trips, meetings, and competitions. 

The problem for BR is that it's hard to attract those white collar jobs when you lack connections to larger cities like Chicago, LA, and NYC. 

You should be able to fly nonstop from New York to anywhere east of the Mississippi river IMO.   JFK connection seems like a no-brainer to me.  They all seem to be full on every flight I've taken to that airport.   DC area connection as well.

Frontier pulled out of BTR a few years ago. They flew to Denver. The ridership numbers were good but the connection rate was very low which led to the decision to pull out.

Frontier pulled out of a lot of cities in those days.  They made a mistake expanding so quickly ahead of and during a recession.  They've only just now returned to Memphis and Cincy and I think they may make a move to BTR at some point.   They will likely start with a Denver connection only, and probably not a "daily" flight (likely Monday, Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday)....hopefully that will trigger United to add a Denver non-stop.  

Edited by cajun

• 3 years later...

Do not want this to be ARCHIVED/Closed like plenty other Topics have been ....STUCK way back on PAGE #4... Pretty slow Summer months here in BR

Quick Re-cap...(original post back in Jan of 2011 deleted all the pics)

BR has failed to build a NEW  2nd Tallest  overtaking One American Place @ 310' ft.... Several times...nothing has been built Taller than 12 - stories since the late 80's

* 30-story Fidelity Bank Tower in the late 80's...would have easily surpassed One American Place just a block away and at it's tip nearly rivaled the height of the State Capitol...could have been a nice addition to Downtown BR's malnutritioned skyline

image.png.5d5e95c5c1ba71e01d9bae4228c9ca8c.png

The Riverside Towers(mid 80's) at the Centroplex( now Raising Cane's River Center)  would have given One American Place a run for it's money as 2nd Tallest..but it too failed

image.png.ee7be05272b38995d5a45b1b6bd489de.png

In the late 90's Laurel Plaza would have looked it eye-to-eye (at the still vacant riverfront block next to Hilton Capitol Center)

image.png.72bed3e05e74b26d46b27c2ed7117294.png

The 30-story Centre Regency hotel way out on Bluebonnet Blvd. in the 80's was just a pipe-dream

image.png.29f87cedae262dc5c3c73bd5ee61d5e3.png

Richard Preis third design for RiverPlace...a 36-story condo tower could have been nearly as tall as the State Capitol

image.png.3cbb66b43c0c4ce64565ab999cb32697.png

The latest design (4th) for RiverPlace is a down-sized condotel at 30-stories; could have also been BR's new 2nd Tallest..but nothing.  A sliver of hope remains now that Jim Bernhard purchase the property

image.thumb.png.5633f45be67d0ab1e05449b67411a80c.png

LIMITED to 6 Images per post  >>>  TO BE CONTINUED

Trahan's latest Luxury High-Rise Condo along the Riverfront

^CONTINUED from ABOVE POST^

Is there still Hope???  Trahan's latest Luxury High-Rise Condo along the Riverfront in the works ...it's possible they could downsize the 25 floors down to 10-15 stories depending on demand ...otherwise they may try this concept in NOLA or even NYC

Even at 25 floors ...not sure if it would go over 310' ft surpassing One American Place ;  still would be a very nice addition to the skyline nonetheless!

image.png.cf6eb621cdd78934a8f2ab86d9da5918.png

ORIGINAL

image.png.c9fac3b65f9dddbff431affb4808d6de.png

13 hours ago, richyb83 said:

^CONTINUED from ABOVE POST^

Is there still Hope???  Trahan's latest Luxury High-Rise Condo along the Riverfront in the works ...it's possible they could downsize the 25 floors down to 10-15 stories depending on demand ...otherwise they may try this concept in NOLA or even NYC

Even at 25 floors ...not sure if it would go over 310' ft surpassing One American Place ;  still would be a very nice addition to the skyline nonetheless!

It's definitely be cool to see but I have a hard time seeing this come too fruition. I mean, wouldn't someone paying that much want a place to park?

Edited by dan326

Good point Dan! Guess they'd have to borrow the Third Street parking garage? :dontknow:

Over the years i'd look at the UP Threads ; Austin(biggest transformation w Skyline in U.S!) ; Nashville(growing skyline continues to impress) ; Charlotte; etc ...or just other cities in general..

For me Mobile was the real kicker...a city roughly the size of BR getting a NEW Tallest... RSA Tower /completed '06; even with "Vanity Height" Crown(still impressive)...laying claim to Gulf Coast Tallest btwn Houston & Tampa ; when One Shell Tower in NOLA is clearly taller)

Baton Rouge's Tallest = Built way back in 1932 speaks volumes!

image.png.73b2fe8d35afa9fcdbc82cff8c8fe5a1.png

MILWAUKEE.....Built a "NEW" 2nd Tallest ; completed in 2017.....spiced up a rather bland skyline

image.png.8c7ea999012bda6334eed60e8076698c.png

The  Devon Tower (completed 2012)  put OKC on the map with a NEW TALLEST ' Dominating the Skyline; showing  it was a "Economic Player"

image.thumb.png.a6999ba4bcff5d09564d22f31b0b7e17.png

Even L.A. ...2nd Largest City in U.S. built a New 2nd Tallest (they might say Tallest..i'm not counting stick on top) ; but seeing this Sleek New Skyscraper in person last Summer was impressive!  

Wilshire Tower...completed in '17

image.png.5393db894700a1316d8c875ad44ae5ad.png

Will be sure to Add some more examples of New Tallest or 2nd Tallest over the coming weeks :thumbsup:

Contrary to popular belief...Baton Rouge DOES NOT HAVE A HEIGHT ORDINANCE for the 450' Ft Tall State Capitol!

• 1 year later...

Ironic last post here almost 2 years to the day.....

Since the legendary River Place thread has long been ARCHIVED...figured put this into BR's 2nd Tallest thread

Just the other day my brother said "BR will never build a new skyscraper again " and i did not disagree...seeing the high-rise tower cranes in places like  Nashville; Charlotte; Austin ; etc....seems more n more that;s just not for BR.  + Nothing taller than 12 stories has been built in BR since the late 80's.

Then this story comes out yesterday!....maybe there is a sliver of hope ??  This new owner John  Engquist  of the old River Place property (+Trahan's fraction) is a "game changer".  ( Building material  co$t increased>?) ; but it's TIME for BR to build a  NEW HIGH - RISE  TOWER!

Article not completely accurate claiming this is the "last undeveloped block"; is not true; the other undeveloped block is next to it(south); giant surface parking lot north of Hilton Capitol Center(Lafayette St./Florida/River Rd)

John Engquist buys downtown property, paving way for future development

https://www.businessreport.com/realestate/john-engquist-buys-downtown-property-paving-way-for-future-development

John Engquist is looking to develop a mixed-use property with a residential component now that he owns most of the last remaining undeveloped block of downtown real estate.

In a $2 million deal that closed Monday, Engquist acquired from architect Trey Trahan a 0.4-acre portion of the block, which is bordered by Laurel, Main and Lafayette streets and River Road.

The vacant tract is immediately adjacent to a 1.3 acre-tract on the same block Engquist bought in March from Jim Bernhard for $5.68 million.

Now that Engquist owns all but a small sliver of the block, which houses an apartment and Aztec Restaurant on Main Street, he is in the beginning stages of planning for the site.

“It’s wonderful,” Engquist says. “It’s on the river, the views are amazing, and I suspect there’s not another city the size of Baton Rouge that has a piece of property like that on a waterway.”

Local developers have long dreamed of developing residential on the coveted site. Bernhard bought the property in 2012 from Richard Preis, who had spent the previous nine years trying to develop the site into a luxury residential high-rise called River Place. 

Trahan, meanwhile, held onto his parcel for years in hopes of eventually finding a partner to do a riverfront development.  

The property is across from luxury townhomes that Engquist developed several years ago on Laurel Street adjacent to 525 Lafayette St. and  the IBM building.

10 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Here is another article ....

This downtown Baton Rouge site purchased for $2M by John Engquist; see potential plans

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_2d6b5a40-e3fb-11eb-910e-8fa3cdaa41f0.html

Just 4 buildings in Downtown Taller than 229' feet....that needs to change

BR.batonrougedowntownskyline.adv HS 001.JPG

What part of "see potential plans" is actually in that article?   Was anyone else expecting a rendering or something?

Maybe H&E will be locating their corporate HQ downtown if the employees support it?    A longer commute is a lot easier pill to swallow if your office comes with a nice view of the river.   

Edited by cajun

14 hours ago, dan326 said:

I don't expect any towers, but I'd be satisfied with an attractively designed 12 story building with street retail space.

I really like how IBM turned out.  Maybe something similar but incorporate a hotel in the design for the block.    

Then again, hotels downtown are going to start closing if we still have punitive restrictions for football season.   We really need to avoid that.  

Edited by cajun

On 7/16/2021 at 9:27 AM, cajun said:

What part of "see potential plans" is actually in that article?   Was anyone else expecting a rendering or something?

Maybe H&E will be locating their corporate HQ downtown if the employees support it?    A longer commute is a lot easier pill to swallow if your office comes with a nice view of the river.   

Only thing really said was "mixed use"  .....I would love to see a Rendering!   Maybe i need to make a phone call ! LOL

Maybe 7-8 floors for the new HQ's....+ 10 floors of residential...all on top of a 5 -level podium for parking w street level retail etc == 23 floors

All the original River Place plans thru the years got my hopes up...all of those proposals were in the 23-36 story range

On 7/16/2021 at 10:15 PM, dan326 said:

I don't expect any towers, but I'd be satisfied with an attractively designed 12 story building with street retail space.

Yeah my brother said it was a "pipe dream"...hard to disagree .  Towers are for larger cities like Houston; Austin; Nashville; Charlotte; etc

Maybe i should grab a pipe and start dreaming!:)  That location deserves something 20+ stories

• Haha 1