The Market at Hartford 21

beerbeer

It really is a shame they are struggling.

If they can stick it out until the apartments on the plaza and Hollander 2 are done, and in the mean time create a niche I think it will eventually work out.

Problem is that there really are still not that many downtown residents to support the grocery business.

With 193+50 apartments likely coming online in the next 24 months, the next two years will be critical for downtown hartford.

I feel like the demand is incredibly strong right now and if we can get the starts on these and other apartments, it would provide some light at the end of the tunnel for the grocery store.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

yeah, its kinda expected, but sad too.

on the other hand with 3 small markets and cvs offering a few staples, maybe thats enough for now. and of course peapod.

I just hope that the apartments on the plaza still go through.

if they do, i hope that someone either expands their existing market, or someone tries to give a proper grocery a shot again. sadly i feel that it will be a tricky on and off dance for a while and each housing option will help, but we might be 5-10 years away, or 2-5000 apartments away.

yeah, its kinda expected, but sad too.

on the other hand with 3 small markets and cvs offering a few staples, maybe thats enough for now. and of course peapod.

I just hope that the apartments on the plaza still go through.

if they do, i hope that someone either expands their existing market, or someone tries to give a proper grocery a shot again. sadly i feel that it will be a tricky on and off dance for a while and each housing option will help, but we might be 5-10 years away, or 2-5000 apartments away.

Downtown just wasn't ready for that concept yet. When I first read about them hiring like 100 employees it honestly set of some red flags for me. I knew that the small mini mart types like Al's Market had staples and about 90% less overhead cost and it was going to be difficult to make the premium super market model work downtown at this juncture. I think they should focus on encouraging more small markets right now since all people really need is a place to get milk, eggs, cold cuts, and toilet paper with convenient hours.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.hartfordb...tml?Type=search

Al's market looks to be a sucess atleast. A second location right up the street is opening.

This is great. I think more Al's Market type establishments should give it a go throughout downtown. Looks like the owner of Al's agrees. His business model is far more pragmatic than what was attempted at the Market at H21. Looking back it was definitely a little too ambitious as has Northland's entire approach been to developing the retail at H21. There is no reason why some of the long standing tenants should not have been invited back with Northland assisting them with some of the costs.

Archived