CONSTRUCTION THREAD: RiverWalk

gman430

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they change the design, doesn't it have to go back to DRC for re-approval?

It should... But then again, lighting and color choices are never posted online, but are always stated as "to be submitted later" and we never see those things online. However, this would be more of a physical change and I'd think it would need to be posted online for the public.

Here's what I think is weird: Pricing and such should have been known before the design went before the DPC for approval or soon thereafter, I'd think, based on when they started construction. Therefore, six to seven months later seems really strange for a design change. It also seems to indicate that it's NOT financially driven? IDK.

I think the building would look solid without the spire if need be, but I do like the spire and would hate to see it go.

If they change the design, doesn't it have to go back to DRC for re-approval?

Yes it would. All financing for project has been complete. Renderings on site are still the same so I am not sure the spire being removed is accurate. Could be wrong though.

The spire may not be removed, just different than oringinally planned. Also, look for other exterior changes in the name of VE.

That's good to hear. :) I don't mind if the spire is different looking than originally planned. I just don't want to see it get completely taken away. Oh and what does VE stand for? Thanks.

:sick:

I cannot stand these bullcrap, made-up business terms.

Why don't they just call it what it is? "Making crap cheap."

developing buildings is a business, it is done to make money. The market sets the rate on sales prices and rents, you have to then design the project in a way that can be built and make business sense. Developers and the investors in their projects expect certain returns on their money invested you have to adjust design to meet those returns as construction and material costs fluctuate. Most developers would love for their projects to look better than the final product but compromises have to be made or nothing would ever get built.

Yep.

That sucks. Kinda reminds me of the Vue condo tower in Charlotte which was originally supposed to have twin spires/antennae like the John Hancock building in Chicago but wound up with a so-so crown instead. The design of the body of Riverwalk is still solid, but I think the spire added a nice distinctive flair which I would hate to see eliminated.

developing buildings is a business, it is done to make money. The market sets the rate on sales prices and rents, you have to then design the project in a way that can be built and make business sense. Developers and the investors in their projects expect certain returns on their money invested you have to adjust design to meet those returns as construction and material costs fluctuate. Most developers would love for their projects to look better than the final product but compromises have to be made or nothing would ever get built.

Yeah, I got all that. It's fine and all. My concern is purely linguistic. I HATE the invention of pseudo-words and phrases for business-speak. Things like "synergy," "best practices," "touch base," "ideation," and other verbal diarrhea like that. Oh, and "value engineering."

• 2 weeks later...

3 more full floors to go. I guess I'm most impressed with the footprint of this building. While it is narrow, it is extremely long and takes up much more space than I expected. From the 123 bridge, this will change the West End skyline dramatically.

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

3 more full floors to go. I guess I'm most impressed with the footprint of this building. While it is narrow, it is extremely long and takes up much more space than I expected. From the 123 bridge, this will change the West End skyline dramatically.

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

Still think it is 4 more floors for a total of 8.

Still think it is 4 more floors for a total of 8.

Three more habitual floors for a total of seven. There is slated (according to the rendering/documents) to be a design element on top of the seventh floor. Whether you want to count that as an eighth floor or not is completely up to you. :)

Steel for fifth, sixth, and seventh floors now going up. Looking very impressive from Academy Street and Church Street bridges. You can even see the building from county square. :)

Awesome! So we should see this officially topping out soon (minus whatever spire feature may be incorporated).

Great to hear! Thanks, Citylife!

Archived