CONSTRUCTION THREAD: RiverWalk

gman430

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I drive by this building several times a week and have been wondering: the more brickwork that's added to this exterior...well, um, the more unattractive this building gets. I thought it might be just me, but people I know who don't even pay attention to these things have commented that it's looking like a 70s-era government building (and they don't mean that as a compliment.) Does anyone know if the building will get past this "awkward phase" and blossom into something not quite so bleak?

I drive by this building several times a week and have been wondering: the more brickwork that's added to this exterior...well, um, the more unattractive this building gets. I thought it might be just me, but people I know who don't even pay attention to these things have commented that it's looking like a 70s-era government building (and they don't mean that as a compliment.) Does anyone know if the building will get past this "awkward phase" and blossom into something not quite so bleak?

I've been thinking the same thing DowntownCityGirl! I don't see any of the glass that was in the original rendering and it's looking pretty blah. I love that they're building affordable housing in the middle of downtown, but the renderings led me to believe it would be a little less low-income looking. Guess we'll have to wait and see...

I've been thinking the same thing DowntownCityGirl! I don't see any of the glass that was in the original rendering and it's looking pretty blah. I love that they're building affordable housing in the middle of downtown, but the renderings led me to believe it would be a little less low-income looking. Guess we'll have to wait and see...

It is not finished, that why you don't see glass. Glass is fragile and therefore put in at the end.

Frankly, while this building may not win any awards, I honestly don't see what the problem is. It's brick, stucco and glass just like most buildings downtown.

It is not finished, that why you don't see glass. Glass is fragile and therefore put in at the end.

Frankly, while this building may not win any awards, I honestly don't see what the problem is. It's brick, stucco and glass just like most buildings downtown.

I think what DowntownCityGirl means is that the window area seems so small relative to the brick. In my opinion, the side walls almost look like those of The Summmit but with even less ornamentation (but I assume the trim is yet to be installed at the top edge of the building). It does look like the original rendering, but that only showed the front half of the building, which has a much higher ratio of glass to brick, thereby giving a somewhat inaccurate overall impression. The front portion of the building looks pretty good to me, but the back half looks plain, uninspired and even a little industrial. I'm disappointed.

The brick in the rendering appears to be orange-ish, while the actual build is rather flat and pink. I think casings for the windows (probably metal, either chrome or black?), the railings on the balconies, and the reflective nature of the glass should help. It certainly couldn't hurt :P

I grabbed this pic today with my phone. I might have gotten a little happy with the editing options on the photoshop app. But, here's the view looking up Camperdown Way:

6636562443_0d58394ff4_z.jpg

BTW, Are the utility poles and lines that are in this image (both on Camperdown and Rhett) the ones that will be buried? Or is it just one or the other?

It is my understanding that the power lines will be buried on both streets. In regards to the final product, I think this building is going to be very attractive. The completion of the cornice, balconies and glass will make a world of difference. I can only assume it is going to look great night as I heard Phil spared no expense on the lighting package (complete with a laser light show in honor of Charles Townes).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Balcony railings were being installed today.

Either this building looks better in its more completed state, or the gloomy weather just makes it seem more attractive. I can't tell yet... :)

I'll be fair and withhold final judgment until the building is completed, but thus far, I'm a little underwhelmed with how this is turning out. The windows seem disproportionately small relative to the overall building.

Archived