Locals vs Chains on Dickson St

Mith242

Locals vs Chains  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Are chain restaurants taking over Dickson St?

• Yes
    • No

I thought about just posting some of this in the general restaurant topic. But I didn't want to 'take it over' with this specific question and topic. With Wafflehouse and Chipotle moving in a number of people don't like the idea of so many chains moving in. I certainly do worry about the local restaurants and want to see them do well. But I'm not sure that the chains have to be relegated to the Uptown/Mall area. Honestly I think this has been something that was bound to happen at some point to Dickson St. With the success of Dickson St it also means rent can be pretty steep. Especially for the local restaurant/businesses. I can't say I'm not totally unconcerned but I also don't think it would be right to force chains elsewhere. I've said this in the past and I'll reiterate it now. I'd really like to see another area like the Mill District come along and become a hot spot for local businesses. Or some other location close to the downtown area where rent isn't so high and it's easier for local restaurant and businesses to get established. I have no problem with anyone local trying to try their luck on Dickson St. But I think it's a bit of a risk because of the high overhead. Anyway I thought I'd throw the question out there and see how everyone else thought about it or if they're also worried about the chains taking over.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think chains are necessarily taking over Dickson Street but it is inevitable that they will establish in the area. They have the capital behind them to weather the ups and downs unlike most locally owned businesses. If there is money to be made they will have the studies and resources to identify where they will be most successful and Dickson is a good place to do business it seems. I agree that it wouldn't be right and I'm sure not legal to discriminate based on the size or corporate location of any business but I sure hate to see local businesses forced out by any chain.

• 1 month later...

I guess this should go here.

Very sad news. Bruce Walker, the owner of the flying possum leather shop on Dickson died in a fire at the store early this morning around 6:30 am.

Anyone who passed by the store probably also knows of his dog, Bugsy. Bugsy escaped without injury.

The store itself LOOKED pretty badly damaged but it also looked like it was confined to that area.

Very sad story. Dickson Street just lost a lot of character and one of its best characters.

http://www.nwaonline...-flying-possom/

Surprisingly there doesn't seem to be a topic just dealing with general Dickson St topics. But anyway yeah sorry to say that Fayetteville got a little less funky today. Can't say I really knew him that well either. But I did stop by there occasionally and did speak to him on those occasions.

• 1 month later...

I keep hearing rumours about the Crowne Pub and the Dickson Street Pub, does anyone have the scoop on this situation. Does Richard Alexander still own this building or did he sell it to the Dickson St Pub folks? If he sold it to them did he offer it to the Crowne Pub people first? One of the rumours I've heard is that he refused to renew the Crownes lease and rented it out from under them with very little notice. I've also heard that at the end of the lease he raised the rent (which is his right) and the Crowne didn't want to pay the increase. Anyone know where the truth lies?

I keep hearing rumours about the Crowne Pub and the Dickson Street Pub, does anyone have the scoop on this situation. Does Richard Alexander still own this building or did he sell it to the Dickson St Pub folks? If he sold it to them did he offer it to the Crowne Pub people first? One of the rumours I've heard is that he refused to renew the Crownes lease and rented it out from under them with very little notice. I've also heard that at the end of the lease he raised the rent (which is his right) and the Crowne didn't want to pay the increase. Anyone know where the truth lies?

Richard is a partner in the Dickson St Inn and it's Wine Bar. He is combining the wine bar with the Crowne Pub's space for an all seasons bar. Didn't give Crowne much of a choice.

Thanks! This seems to have happened alot on Dickson St over the years! The restaurant/bar owner signs a short term lease on a space, spends a good deal of time and money in renovating the space and building a clientele only to have the landlord raise the rent (which is his right) when the terms of the lease are up. I think if you are unable or unwilling for any reason to sign a long term lease, Dickson st is the last place to open a business of any kind and in the long run will lead to the franchisation of the entire area.

Richard is a partner in the Dickson St Inn and it's Wine Bar. He is combining the wine bar with the Crowne Pub's space for an all seasons bar. Didn't give Crowne much of a choice.

Archived