Mexican immigrants?...

Over the last 10 years mexican immigrants have settled in the Northeast(side) & the Eastside of Kansas City. Some people in other cities might think they have a huge mexican immigrant population, by what they see. KC is different, the Northeast looks like mexico, with mexican shops making up 85% of the small business population even the neighborhood newspaper is now a bilingual paper. Their numbers are unknown because they're illegal and didn't fill out any census, but some have guessed their numbers as high as 50-60,000 new immigrants in KC over the past 10-15 years. I think this is unusual, because we are not a border state, and because of our distance from the mexican border...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest donaltopablo

So what exactly is your question KCghettocoi? You make refererence to your cousins, the collection of immigrants in the NE side of KC, the numbers, and that KC landlocked, but there is really no relation between them other them involving immigrants.....

I haven't noticed that they settle in one area. Its just more of a gradual migration to the north. Over time I have noticed more around here, but if you head south you will find more and more. It is probably that they move to large cities to set up businesses, since they are more likely to do well in a larger city. So Kansas City seems like a relatively logical place to go. All I know for sure is that they can make some good food.

hehe the Mexican migration is scattered everywhere you can find them migrating in sizeable numbers all the way up to Alaska so this is not surprising. :P They will probably overtake the Puerto Rican population in Hawaii as the largest Hispanic/Latino group soon at the rate they are growing.

Mexican food is great but the best hmmm? I'll take Thai or Vietnamese and even Korean! :D As for Latin type foods i can sort of agree but growing up in Hawaii the Puerto Rican cuisine was probably the most mainstream (they even used to go door to door in my old hood selling Pasteles) so i've grown acustomed to that and i love me some Pasteles, Pastelillos, Bacalao, Sopa Borracha, etc! Argentinean (meat lovers paradiso) & Cuban food is really good too.

not only big cities.

A lot of small towns in Florida's Heartland have been "overrun" with mexicans. They come as migrant farm workers and eventually decide to stay. Then they bring their families, then their relatives.

the small town I lived in as a kid is probably 50% mexican now.

First of all "donaltopablo", I was saying it is a little unusal for mexican immigrants to flood into one area by the 10's of thousands, because KC is not a border state and because of our distance from the border.

If you DO NOT understand my thread ask me to explain, don't try to degrade my thread okay. I didn't read it over after I was finished...

Guest donaltopablo

It's become common place for mexican (and many others for that matter) to immigrant further into the country. One of the primary reason is the availability of jobs. If every immigrant stayed in the southwest, as they use to do, the available job base becomes extremely crowded. By moving further inland to historically less immigranted areas, they tap new found resources for jobs.

As for them collecting in a common area, it is common for people to move into areas where they find culturually similar people.

Guest donaltopablo

First of all "donaltopablo", I was saying it is a little unusal for mexican immigrants to flood into one area by the 10's of thousands, because KC is not a border state and because of our distance from the border.

If you DO NOT understand my thread ask me to explain, don't try to degrade my thread okay. I didn't read it over after I was finished...

I basically did ask you to explain, I just did so by pointing out how you rambled along.

As to your point about reading it over, you came back and made a seperate post with yet another random topic. Just callin' it how I see it. I wasn't lookin' to start a bunch of crap on the thread.

Guest donaltopablo

What if its all just a mass-mexican plan to re-annex the Southwestern state that were once a part of Mexico?

Hmm, that's a good plan.

I'm confused by what you mean as "one area" - do you mean one area nationally (as in the Southwest/Florida) or do you mean one neighbourhood in a city? Because both are pretty logical; pretty much any immigrant group at least starts up in a particular section of town where their own language is heard.

Archived