2011 USA Cycling Professional Championships

goodbye

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Official press release from the City of Greenville

When: May 28-30, 2011

Title sponsor: Greenville Hospital System University Medical Center.

Presenting sponsor: TD Bank

A new free event sponsored by TD Bank will provide fans and spectators a better opportunity to meet the pro riders and teams.

The new date earlier in the season (and right after the Giro d' Italia) will make for a better race. Hopefully we will see the best field of riders yet competing in Greenville this May. I can't wait!

• 1 year later...

Chris Aronhalt, managing director of Medalist Sports, which produces the national championship races for USA Cycling, told GreenvilleOnline.com that Greenville didn't bid for the 2013-2015 races, in part because of the chance to host a world championship cycling event in 2014.

Chris Aronhalt, managing director of Medalist Sports, which produces the national championship races for USA Cycling, told GreenvilleOnline.com that Greenville didn't bid for the 2013-2015 races, in part because of the chance to host a world championship cycling event in 2014.

Thats a bold decision. Is this cycling event different than the para-cycling world championships being held in 2014?

Wow. The spin in this article is sad. Apparently Greenville isn't capable of pulling off multiple high profile events. To not even go after the US Pro for the next few years so the city can possibly land a bigger event. Sad. Why not do both? What happened to Greenville's "can do" attitude? John Castile is less than impressive, IMO.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20120503/NEWS/305030033/Greenville-taking-steps-land-bigger-cycling-events-official-says?odyssey=nav%7Chead

Wow. The spin in this article is sad. Apparently Greenville isn't capable of pulling off multiple high profile events. To not even go after the US Pro for the next few years so the city can possibly land a bigger event. Sad. Why not do both? What happened to Greenville's "can do" attitude? John Castile is less than impressive, IMO.

http://www.greenvill...dyssey=nav{sodEmoji.|}head

i would expect there was some major logistical reason why both wasn't a possibility, if Greenville did not even apply.

It does make sense that the event would not be in a static location permenantly. Each city it goes to will gain new enthusiasts for the sport.

"Can do" attitude brought the USA Cycling Professional Championships to Greenville and then kept the event in Greenville more than twice as long as it was intended to remain here. "Can do"attitude is bringing the city's first major international sporting event in 2014. The timing of both events would have stretched the city's resources thin and we don't want to ruin such a tremendous opportunity by performing less than our very best. That would likely hinder our potential to capitalize on future high caliber opportunities.

I don't see what the huge deal is. If we tried to keep the US Pro Cycling Championship and failed, I would be concerned. But we didn't. We decided to go after other things, and I think that is great. It shows that we can afford to be selective. That, to me, is the mark of a city that is relevant.

Archived