Broadway Bridge to be replaced

skirby

• 1 month later...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

It has been announced that the Broadway Bridge will close September 28th for 6 months. This is the time the contractor says it will take to replace the bridge. Also, the River Rail will not run until 9 am and will shut down between 3:30 and 6:30 weekdays to help with the increased traffic using the Main Street bridge. This just shows that the River Rail is not a mode of transport for LR/NLR. Maybe they should add additional streetcars during these time periods and increase service instead of doing away with it.

that is going to be an interesting and out of place bridge for sure once it is up but I do like the modern design and cannot wait to see all the LED lights it will have on it :) hopefully they will go with a nice modern design with all the lighting on it when they do the new I30 bridge at some point in the future. 

-R

18 minutes ago, SangreRaVen said:

that is going to be an interesting and out of place bridge for sure once it is up but I do like the modern design and cannot wait to see all the LED lights it will have on it :) hopefully they will go with a nice modern design with all the lighting on it when they do the new I30 bridge at some point in the future. 

-R

I do agree that it's going to look nice, better than expected even...but not following you about it looking "out of place"?  Maybe you mean "unique," compared to our other (standard issue) bridges?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2016 at 11:23 AM, Architect said:

I do agree that it's going to look nice, better than expected even...but not following you about it looking "out of place"?  Maybe you mean "unique," compared to our other (standard issue) bridges?

I think the bridge will be a nice addition to the river.  I was told the contractor has exactly 6 months from shutdown and will be fined $80k for ever day past the deadline so hopefully it goes up quick.

1 hour ago, Gentileking said:

I think the bridge will be a nice addition to the river.  I was told the contractor has exactly 6 months from shutdown and will be fined $80k for ever day past the deadline so hopefully it goes up quick.

Now that it is going up, I think it's going to look phenomenal.  The way they are fabricating it on barges, at the right elevation, to then "rotate" into place is fascinating.  I did notice that they've already poured several foundational piers in the river...didn't even notice how/when these were place in the water (it would have been interesting to see how they were put in place).

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, skirby said:

Went by the bridge  on my way to the Amtrak station about 2 o'clock this morning and they were busy at work demolishing it. I read they are working 24/7 on this project.

They didn't waste any time at all getting to the demolition.  Watching it on the cam the city of NLR put up shows just how quick they are taking it down.  I work downtown so I'm hoping to be around when the blow up the arches in a couple weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Architect said:

^^^ Nice photo skirby!  I think it will look stunning when completed.

Thanks. Here is another shot from the north side. I will try again from this viewpoint but in the morning. The shadows take away a lot of the details and I really couldn't tell if it was straight or not. As you can see it is not straight but at least it shows what the view will be like in the future.

lirLfS.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived