Charlotte wins Major League Lacrosse expansion

Urbanity

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really certain if this is its own thread or not, but CLT just won another major league sports franchise: Lacrosse (which I didn't know had major league sports franchise status to be honest.)

http://insidelacross...bus-2012-season

I hope Charlotte and the region has enough Lacrosse fans to support this. I'd rather not get it at all than to get it and have it fail. Here's hoping.

• 3 weeks later...

Great news! and Charlotte doesn't even have to build a stadium for the team!

as for major league soccer, I do know leaders in the Triad are eyeing an expansion team in the future as a part of its "major league sports complex" between Greensboro and Winston-Salem. It would be a part of the Heart of the Triad concept and the complex could possibly have a new golf course for the PGA event in Greensboro and a major league soccer stadium. I think Charlotte, the Triangle and Triad will all be fighting for a major league soccer team, particularly the Triad and Triangle where soccer is most popular in this state.

• 2 weeks later...

The Lacrosse community in Charlotte is growing quickly with the sport, which is booming at the HS and college levels in the Carolina's. Its also a very loyal community, so I hope they can support this team. Memorial stadium is the home field for these guys and it is the perfect spot for the team, a great place to play with the skyline towering over the field, great setting to watch a game and good location as part of a night out. There are only 8 games a season and its in the summers. This specific pro league, the MLL does add and contract teams like they change shoes, so it may not be long for Charlotte, but apparently the Bobcats and Panthers owners had some impact in getting this team to come to Charlotte over Raleigh, where it was rumored to go. So I'm hopeful it can last long enough to grow roots.

• 1 month later...

I aslo hope it does last in Charlotte although I would love to see Charlotte gets MLS.

StadiumNEFull.jpg

MLS in Charlotte would be terrific especially if they could build a 18,500 seat facility like Sporting Kansas City (see above). All we need is someone with deep pockets to pay the $40-50 million franchise fee and build a stadium.

Another option instead of building a new stadium is refurbishing Memorial Stadium (add a roof, skyboxes, etc). With an incredible view of Uptown Charlotte -- it would be a great venue for both soccer and lacrosse in Charlotte as well as high school football and other events throughout the year.

Regardless, I am looking forward to MLL Charlotte in the short-term.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

FYI for anyone who is interested.  The 2014 Charlotte Hounds home opener is tomorrow at Memorial Stadium.  If you've never been, it's a fun atmosphere with cheap admission, $5 Sam Adams, and German Beer Chants after every goal!

Go Hounds!

Archived