Charlotte Update part 2

utcltjay

Continuing our tour of Charlotte's uptown construction, Uptownliving and I made our way over to West Trade street in Gateway Village. As you can see here, Johnson and Whales is about finished, and any day now, we should see the first wave of up to 4,000 students roaming these streets, grabbing a Mochaccino before classes.

71904%20034.jpg

Cathedral of Cooking anyone?

71904%20035.jpg

71904%20038.jpg

71904%20036.jpg

Next, after being run off by our second security guard of the day, we head over a block to the rather stark and simple dorms for J&W, but as bland as they may be, their view still rocks! And with the right landscaping, it might get a little better in the courtyard.

71904%20041.jpg

71904%20042.jpg

71904%20043.jpg

That's it for now, there was much more we could have shot, but I ran out of card, and Uptown's battery died!

Well, for those fabulous students who can't stomach the awful living conditions of the door, the alternative will be pretty nice... Student apartments a little closer into town on 5th and Graham st.

71904%20044.jpg

71904%20045.jpg

71904%20049.jpg

and right across the street is the historic old Charlotte Cotton Mills, finally completely renovated, keeping it's historic status and opening for retail options, yet TBD.

71904%20050.jpg

71904%20048.jpg

71904%20047.jpg

Would make a nice market in my opinion!

We rounded off our trip with a stop in South end at the four-project South End village including McDonald Towns, Plaza Lofts, Euclid Towns, and Magnolia Court. Didn't get but one shot in real life, sorry:

71904%20051.jpg

And while we were down that way, had to check out the awesome progress they have made with the South Tryon bus and train service center... further tangible proof that the city is really commited to the transit program is set forth!

71904%20052.jpg71904%20055.jpg71904%20053.jpg71904%20054.jpg

If you look right through the left arch, way in the back up by the dirt is where the traincars will pull into the service garage.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rad stuff, guys. hit me up with a pm next time you get together for a tour. excellent, once again.

the projects in south end are very encouraging- i love the whole feel the area is getting- and the great thing is that the fringe areas are not being ignored.

I'd say the most exciting thing going on downtown right now for me is J&W! Well, and the new arena of course. ;) Going to really change downtown with all of those students, especially when the apartments get completed and we get a full house at J&W in a few years!

I wish spectrum and J&W would have been creative and included some street level student oriented retail. A small cafe, record store, copy shop, coffee shop, whatever. Sucks to see all those inactive street walls on the building.

Just what we need, a Starbucks across the street from a Starbucks! :lol:

Yeah, I agree though, some kind of record store or something would have been nice, but there is a bunch of street level across the street.

There is also supposed to be some sort of "Chocolate Lab" with pedestrian veiwing areas. No doubt a ploy to lure you into the bakery. But still, a good idea, unique, fun. Not all cities have viewing areas for a "Chocolate Laboratory" along thier sidewalks.

There is also supposed to be some sort of "Chocolate Lab" with pedestrian veiwing areas. No doubt a ploy to lure you into the bakery. But still, a good idea, unique, fun. Not all cities have viewing areas for a "Chocolate Laboratory" along thier sidewalks.

Assuming this will be somewhat like the small chocolate factory inside of Concord Mills mall?

Archived