Predictions for 2011

GRDadof3

Haven't done this in a while. Anyone have any predictions for downtown this year? I'll take a stab at some (don't take these as the final word) :whistling: :

) Plans/renderings will be unveiled for the year-round market. Maybe even see some early prep work this year.

) Announcement of plans to redevelop one of the warehouses across the street from the new market.

) Demolition of the cell tower building and beginning of construction of the new GVSU business college.

) New residential project announced for that area near the business school.

) Ferris State will announce that they are moving their pharmacy program to Medical Mile. Oops, already announced.

) A long-time suburban employer will move some of its staff to downtown GR, most likely design staff.

) Davenport U will open its new grad school building

) The BOB expansion will get underway.

) Property speculation and maybe even some renderings of a proposed new mixed use project in Heartside.

) New hotel project announced in a portion of an existing building (boutique hotel?)

) RHD Tire building renovations kick off

Any other predictions?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooh I like that. There's waaay more parking than they need over there.

Can you predict whether or not we'll hear news on in 2011? Should we wait for anything or just forget about it?

Anyways...

My only addition:

) The BRT millage fails to pass again.

Oooh I like that. There's waaay more parking than they need over there.

Can you predict whether or not we'll hear news on in 2011? Should we wait for anything or just forget about it?

Anyways...

My only addition:

) The BRT millage fails to pass again.

I had forgotten about that. That's strange. I'll have to do some checking.

I don't think the millage will fail. It's much more comprehensive this time (BRT is just a portion of it), including a lot of service upgrades people have been clamoring for.

Heartside continues to boom:

-With the Gallery opening, 38 filling up, farmers market opening soon (hopefully), small businesses moving in, more young people starting small businesses (see Rick Devos' initiative he announced today), and a generally higher level of excitement for the neighborhood, I can't imagine there isn't some more retail opening up. Probably on Division, maybe on Commerce? I'm thinking Urban Outfitters type of stuff. Keyword: type.

-Development ensues on the southeast side of Wealthy & Division. Seriously, that land can't stay barren for too long.

-Same with State Street. It could be the PERFECT connection between Wealthy/Cherry Streets and the central Heartside area. COME ON!!!

-The Pyramid Scheme begins construction. More bars open or are planned on Ionia. As downtown's "strip" gains momentum, a more diverse range of entertainment options begin the planning stages.

-A small hotel in Heartside, similar to the one in the Fox Jewelers building on Monroe Center. Nothing huge, just a place for people like my friends and I who love going downtown but have nowhere to stay once last call has come and gone.

-Residential projects near the Medical Mile. I would think the area along Michigan between Division and Midtown Village. Maybe even something across the Ford.

-A significant plan to improve the riverside. The park/path/whatever it is that connects Riverside Park to Sixth Street Park opens.

-More scheduled road projects in the city include bike lanes or some similar type of "complete street" feature.

-I become extremely rich and powerful. I purchase the Post Office and tear that sh*t down, putting up something prettier and more engaging with the river. Also, I tear down and rebuild the entire Calder Plaza area- the WHOLE AREA. City Hall, 5/3, GR Press, everything. You're welcome.

I don't think the millage will fail. It's much more comprehensive this time (BRT is just a portion of it), including a lot of service upgrades people have been clamoring for.

Really? I'd just been getting the sense that the 2009 millage had unnecessarily turned the Rapid into a polarizing entity. I was worried angry voters would eventually start shooting down every transit-related ballot measure, and force them to cut services.

I'm not as close to the situation, let alone capable of voting in this one, so it's reassuring you feel different. But don't you think there will be mobilized opponents, who will latch on to BRT and focus on that over everything else?

Or to those on this forum that voted against the 2009 proposal, what do you think? Do you feel any different about the 2011 proposal? Do the additional service upgrades justify it?

Really? I'd just been getting the sense that the 2009 millage had unnecessarily turned the Rapid into a polarizing entity. I was worried angry voters would eventually start shooting down every transit-related ballot measure, and force them to cut services.

I'm not as close to the situation, let alone capable of voting in this one, so it's reassuring you feel different. But don't you think there will be mobilized opponents, who will latch on to BRT and focus on that over everything else?

Or to those on this forum that voted against the 2009 proposal, what do you think? Do you feel any different about the 2011 proposal? Do the additional service upgrades justify it?

It remains to be seen. I think every Rapid millage request has been funded, up until the Silver Line millage last year. This time, there are 9 or 10 service enhancements being looked at, particularly late night service for some of the bar crowd (that people have been asking for).

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/01/the_rapid_bus_system_will_ask.html

The people have been happy with the improvements that the Rapid has made with previous millage increases. The Rapid does an exceptional job. The problem with their latest increase request is that it is for a reduntant service that people think is just a luxury that is not needed. At first I was for the Silver Line but after looking into it more and more have come up with the same conclusion. I don't see the need for it. There may be a usable need for it some years from now for people working Medical Mile who will not be able to have their own vehicle but for the next few years the Silver Line would just be a redundant service that is currently being met for the current needs.

I am mixed with this millage increase. They are emphesizing other improvements while slipping in the Silver Line. Personally I would like to see them cut out the Silver Line and add more frequent runs, especially on the weekend. They could also have every route run on Sunday. It is a pain having many routes only run once an hour on the weekends. Increasing frequency is a proven method for increasing ridership. It makes the system more usable. Another reason I am mixed about the vote request is that I STILL don't understand why they can not seek other sources for income. I don't understand why they need a millage increase every time they want or need to upgrade the system.

I am a huge fan of the Rapid and love how friendly and usable the service has become since it was taken over from GRATA but I'm not sure about continued millage increases to support improvements.

I think the requst will fail by a slim margin due to the mass public's ignorance on the issue. But if the proponents push the other improvements, leaving the Silver Line quiet, they could squeak by with a win.

Either way it goes, my hope is that one way or another that they will be able to increase route frequency on weekends with every route running on Sunday.

~John Eisenschenk

The people have been happy with the improvements that the Rapid has made with previous millage increases. The Rapid does an exceptional job. The problem with their latest increase request is that it is for a reduntant service that people think is just a luxury that is not needed. At first I was for the Silver Line but after looking into it more and more have come up with the same conclusion. I don't see the need for it. There may be a usable need for it some years from now for people working Medical Mile who will not be able to have their own vehicle but for the next few years the Silver Line would just be a redundant service that is currently being met for the current needs.

I am mixed with this millage increase. They are emphesizing other improvements while slipping in the Silver Line. Personally I would like to see them cut out the Silver Line and add more frequent runs, especially on the weekend. They could also have every route run on Sunday. It is a pain having many routes only run once an hour on the weekends. Increasing frequency is a proven method for increasing ridership. It makes the system more usable. Another reason I am mixed about the vote request is that I STILL don't understand why they can not seek other sources for income. I don't understand why they need a millage increase every time they want or need to upgrade the system.

I am a huge fan of the Rapid and love how friendly and usable the service has become since it was taken over from GRATA but I'm not sure about continued millage increases to support improvements.

I think the requst will fail by a slim margin due to the mass public's ignorance on the issue. But if the proponents push the other improvements, leaving the Silver Line quiet, they could squeak by with a win.

Either way it goes, my hope is that one way or another that they will be able to increase route frequency on weekends with every route running on Sunday.

~John Eisenschenk

This is amazing John. I agree with everything you wrote. This has never happened before, not even close. Thank you.

~John Eisenschenk

I believe that currently, that's all that The Rapid can use to fund operating expenses, is millages. Although that might be changing soon, as city leaders in Michigan are (finally) starting to talk about regional taxation:

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/01/city_officials_float_the_idea.html

• 2 weeks later...

- Things come in threes: 1913 Room closing, Sayfee's closing and maybe Charlie's Crab closes and a proposed development is planned there?

- Laughfest 2011 is a huge hit comparable to Art Prize.

- Schuler's stays downtown

- Trader Joe's makes 2011 announcement to expand in GR in 2012.

• 3 months later...

Haven't done this in a while. Anyone have any predictions for downtown this year? I'll take a stab at some (don't take these as the final word) :whistling: :

) Plans/renderings will be unveiled for the year-round market. Maybe even see some early prep work this year.

) Announcement of plans to redevelop one of the warehouses across the street from the new market.

) Demolition of the cell tower building and beginning of construction of the new GVSU business college.

) Ferris State will announce that they are moving their pharmacy program to Medical Mile. Oops, already announced.

) A long-time suburban employer will move some of its staff to downtown GR, most likely design staff.

) Davenport U will open its new grad school building

) The BOB expansion will get underway.

) Property speculation and maybe even some renderings of a proposed new mixed use project in Heartside.

) New hotel project announced in a portion of an existing building (boutique hotel?)

) RHD Tire building renovations kick off

Any other predictions?

GRDadof3,

Any updates on any of these projects not recently in the news, or any new ones to add to the list?

• 7 months later...

Theres a lee and birch now on ionia. It would be nice to some more shops follow all the way down to where it would interesct monroe center. See some forever21, urban outfitters, and some michigan mile shops line the streets.

I predict GR is close to getting an Urban Outfitters, given that the company just entered the market through a sister label (Anthropologie). Of all national brands, I think they'd be a good fit for downtown, but I'd put money that they go to Rivertown or Celebration Village first.

As for downtown, totally agree Lee and Birch was a great addition and I dig the location.

GRDadof3, I would love to hear your predictions for 2012!

Ehhhh, OK. I need to go back and reread my 2011 one's first.

edit, hmm, I was pretty spot on with most of them.

2012:

Beginning of construction work on the BRT stations and the new Amtrak Station

Plans unveiled for some kind of "entertainment" destination in Heartside South of the arena

A massive jump in occupancy of the 100 block of South Division (SoDiv). Unfortunately (or fortunately) it will be mainly office/flex/studio space to begin with, with a smattering of retailers.

Work begun on the old JA Building

Completion of 35 Oakes into another GRid70ish type use, with several new companies to downtown. That's my GUESS based on what has already been reported, btw.

Completion of phase 1 of Wealthy/Division ICCF, with several new retail tenants (basic services, fast food)

Solidified plans for the health sciences development in Belknap

Demolition of the old Press building announced, mountains of speculation of what will take its place

Announcement of the closing of the post office downtown, mountains of speculation of what will take its place

New development announced near Saint Mary's

New development announced for the parking lot used by Lafontsee Galleries in East Hills, facing Eastern

New infill on Wealthy Street. Another renovation project on Wealthy (in addition to the brewery announced earlier this year).

I don't foresee any big office projects announced for downtown for a while. Not with Bridgewater struggling and the moving of several big users to new spaces (Smith Haughey, Plante Moran, etc.). In other words, don't expect any big skyscrapers soon. Grand Rapids will continue to grow as one of the best "boutique" downtowns in the Midwest.

Announcement of the closing of the post office downtown, mountains of speculation of what will take its place

I've had a PO box for 3 1/2 years at the Monroe Center location next to Tre Cugini. About 3 months ago I received notice that my box might be moved to the main office. :dontknow: The way things are going who knows, I may be picking up my mail in Comstock Park next.

Any forecast for Morton House?

Archived