Ruth's Chris Steakhouse Coming to GR

GRDadof3

Wow, I'd say that's a huge win for downtown.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2011/01/grand_rapids_1913_room_in_amwa.html

Ruth's Chris only sets up in pretty big metro areas, and there's only one other in Michigan (Troy).

http://www.ruthschris.com/Locations

I love to support the local guys, but I think this is great news (to continue to raise downtown's profile).

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's quite a coup for downtown. They could have easily set up shop next to PF Chang's, or Rivertown Crossings, or something. Especially considering how the closest locations are in outskirt-ed areas like Troy and Granger. It's a positive sign that a company from outside can see the vitality of our downtown area.

(but will you eat there, GRDad??)

I'm very sad it has to come at the expense of the 1913 Room. I understand the decision though; an out-of-town guest is more likely to go to Ruth's Chris than an unknown restaurant. I wonder what will happen to the decor?? Also, I hope someone else can reclaim a five diamond rating for GR.

That's quite a coup for downtown. They could have easily set up shop next to PF Chang's, or Rivertown Crossings, or something. Especially considering how the closest locations are in outskirt-ed areas like Troy and Granger. It's a positive sign that a company from outside can see the vitality of our downtown area.

Here are the criteria for a Ruth's Chris franchise in case anyone here might be thinking about opening one of their own next to PF Chang's or Rivertown Crossing:

RC franchise

What does this mean for Judson's? The Chop House? My conscience doesn't know what to do with this one; I like Ruth's Chris a lot (although its usually when traveling) but to see it possibly cannibalize other local steakhouses... I'm a little torn.

What does this mean for Judson's? The Chop House? My conscience doesn't know what to do with this one; I like Ruth's Chris a lot (although its usually when traveling) but to see it possibly cannibalize other local steakhouses... I'm a little torn.

Maybe they'll step up their game. :whistling:

I might eat there RegalTDP, although I'm not one to specifically seek out a good steak restaurant. :dontknow:

To me, it's similar to a national upscale retailer opening downtown. It raises downtown's profile.

My bet is Louis Benton's doesn't make it. But, then again, I might make that bet even without Ruth's Chris.

The folks at the Amway Grand are smart, so they must know what they are doing. It's bittersweet. Closing a 5 diamond legend, and replacing it with a well respected international chain, must make business sense. I'm not a fan of their signature "butter" steaks, but I just order w/out the butter. All and all pretty good for GR. To bad they can't have both.

Archived