Bass Pro Shop will anchor redevelopment of power plant

xav13r

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

What's the likelihood you of that actually happening??

The probability is higher that it'll go (I think) in the Jazzland development because of the interstate access and visibility. For a regional store like Bass Pro its much more important that they be easily accessible and visible for people passing on I-10.

Think Cabelas in Gonzales and Bass Pro in Bossier City and Denham Springs.

The probability is higher that it'll go (I think) in the Jazzland development because of the interstate access and visibility. For a regional store like Bass Pro its much more important that they be easily accessible and visible for people passing on I-10.

Think Cabelas in Gonzales and Bass Pro in Bossier City and Denham Springs.

On the surface it makes sense, but if you are from here (New Orleans), then you'll realize my concern. Recent history doesn't bode well for commercial development in New Orleans East. A cursory look of the East (namely along the I-10 corridor) will still reveal commercial blight that has been practically untouched since the storm. Redevelopment of former Plaza Mall site is stagnat. Rehabiliation of Methodist Hospital is moving at a snail's pace (so the area still doesn't have hospital). The mere fact that it has been nearly been 7 years since the storm hit and there is still spectulation/discussion on what to do with the former Six Flags site speaks on how much a priority The East has been in the overall redevelopment of the city.

Personally, in my opinion, I think if Bass Pro decides to finally enter into the New Orleans market, it will more likely build in either the Northshore (Slidell or Covington) or somewhere in Metairie. It makes good sense for them to build in the East, but developments like these usually don't go in Orleans Parish; or if there's that one-in-a-million shot of that happening (what up Costco), it most likely won't go to the East.

On the surface it makes sense, but if you are from here (New Orleans), then you'll realize my concern. Recent history doesn't bode well for commercial development in New Orleans East. A cursory look of the East (namely along the I-10 corridor) will still reveal commercial blight that has been practically untouched since the storm. Redevelopment of former Plaza Mall site is stagnat. Rehabiliation of Methodist Hospital is moving at a snail's pace (so the area still doesn't have hospital). The mere fact that it has been nearly been 7 years since the storm hit and there is still spectulation/discussion on what to do with the former Six Flags site speaks on how much a priority The East has been in the overall redevelopment of the city.

Personally, in my opinion, I think if Bass Pro decides to finally enter into the New Orleans market, it will more likely build in either the Northshore (Slidell or Covington) or somewhere in Metairie. It makes good sense for them to build in the East, but developments like these usually don't go in Orleans Parish; or if there's that one-in-a-million shot of that happening (what up Costco), it most likely won't go to the East.

I know how the East is and I agree but the chance is still higher that it goes over there instead. It would make great use of that building however but so would other retailers.

Edit:

Market Street Properties LLC, the owner of the former power plant near the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, filed a reorganization plan and disclosure statement in court on Friday evening, which allow the group to move forward with the process of getting out of bankruptcy and reveals details about the company’s efforts to develop the property.

GNORealEstateNews.com has a good summary of the filing. Apparently, talks with Bass Pro Shops have fell through and the company is "now exploring fitness centers, movie theaters and quick service restaurants would work well at the site. Representatives from Market Street Properties LLC have met with AMC Theatres, 24-Hour Fitness, Lifetime Fitness, Trader Joe’s and Dick’s Sporting Goods, as well as the developers Madison Marquette, Forest City and Developers Diversified to discuss potential opportunities."

Compared to the plant site..

Taking into considering the recent financial troubles of that site's owner, I agree. If it wasn't for that and if Bass Pro fully committed to developing in only Orleans Parish, I still doubt it would go in the East despite it being the most logical choice.

Refer to this post...

The East makes the most sense but like my quoted post clearly illustrates, major commercial development does not occur in the East post-Katrina, especially from major chains and corporatons. Costco going to the East made plenty of sense (interstate access, huge amount of land to develop on, proximity to other areas outside of city limits), but what happened....they decided to cram their large development into a few parcels in Mid-City.

The fact that you had residents of an area for almost 7 years practically beg for Wal-Mart (f**king Wal-Mart) to develop in the area (especially when the opposite is typical) is very telling of the economic/commercial health of said area.

Refer to this post...

The East makes the most sense but like my quoted post clearly illustrates, major commercial development does not occur in the East post-Katrina, especially from major chains and corporatons. Costco going to the East made plenty of sense (interstate access, huge amount of land to develop on, proximity to other areas outside of city limits), but what happened....they decided to cram their large development into a few parcels in Mid-City.

The fact that you had residents of an area for almost 7 years practically beg for Wal-Mart (f**king Wal-Mart) to develop in the area (especially when the opposite is typical) is very telling of the economic/commercial health of said area.

Costco requires a residential market that wasn't availble in the East. Bass Pro Shop does not require the same type of area. The East is closer and more accessalbe to people in southern Mississippi and Slidell.

Costco requires a residential market that wasn't availble in the East.

This is bullsh*t...but Imma assume you really do not know the true demographics of the East.

Also, Costco and Bass Pro are very similar developments. They may not have exact same type of clientèle (that wasn't what I saying in the first place), but they are similar in terms of scale, exclusivity (though you can argue Costco is more exclusive), their regional presence (people will drive for miles to shop at these places), their ability to potentially spur development nearby, etc.

• 1 year later...

Archived