I,Robot

Spartan

Did you think that I,Robot had an accurate look into the near future?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Did you think that I,Robot had an accurate look into the near future?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

So what do you think?

I think it is a little too ambitious for 30 years from now. I don't think Americans will let computers drive their cars anytime soon, nor do I think that ASIMO, or whatever it is, will be such a great hit that it will grow into a large scale prodcution such as the one on that movie.

Also, does anyone really think that Chicago will have that much in the way of infrastructure and Highrise development in just 30 years?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on AI. I'm absolutely confident that at some point in the future we will give birth to AI and when that happens we're doomed from the beginning. Humans may not want this to happen but just do a research on the research being done to make AI happen, it's breathtaking! Why are we working so hard on something that we will regret? Technology doesn't just double in capacity when it gets better, it grows exponentially so it is quite possible for some of the things in the movie I think, but 2035 may be a little soon. Maybe 2060 or so. It also may be possible to have the infrastructure of Chicago by 2035. Just look at the Big Dig and go back 30 years and see if anyone imagined that! I'm an optimist by nature and I live for technology so I guess I'm hoping for the best here. ;)

On another note, Will Smith was talking to his car and his car would talk back to him. I can do the same thing with my car. I have the first car in the US market that you can actually talk to and it will talk back, responding to nearly 3,000 commands. Now you tell me what won't be possible in 30 years. ;)

You sure about that first car thing, Q45 has had that feature for a few years now...

Maybe it was salesman hype? LOL! You know how that can be. I do know however it's the first Bluetooth enabled car in the US, it's come in handy for me! The voice recognition works suprisingly well, any voice, without training picks up on what you say! And you don't have to be exactly accurate in your phrasing as it will only pick up the words it knows and give you a response without asking you what you said.

Voted don't know - I haven't seen it.

Just remember, many decades ago the Jetsons presumed we'd all be flying to work in 2004. ;)

Its great to have ambition and dreams - but we can't even feed everyone on earth, let alone find real peace. I say 500 years we'll still be working on much of what we are still working on today. LOL

Nope. It is far too advanced for being just thirty years from now.

Show Asimo or the latest notebook from Apple to anyone 40 years ago and see what they say, I've got $1,000 who says they'll say exactly what you just said!

^ This type of thing is looking more and more realistic now. ^

Things like this would have already been done had money not been an issue. These things are possible, just not economically feasable at the moment.

Archived