IN-PROGRESS: Spectra Apartments on Constitution Plaza

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something does need to be done with the Clarion Hotel and soon to be vacated WFSB

Some thoughts

1. The property (clarion hotel) should be seized and the city should send out and RFP and see what developers are intrested

2. Since WFSB and Clarion will both be vacant they could be marketed together

3. NO OFFICE SPACE, either Constitution College, residential w/ retail space would move some residents to that end of downtown, or if the market could support it more hotel rooms since its right near Adriaens Landing but on that note the Marriott can expand to 700 rooms

I don't think I could of conscience support any plan that didn't level that dreadful WFSB eye-sore. I agree with the "no-office" approach, but Hartford needs to make this more of a residential area, which it is doing with the Sage Allen and American Airlines projects. Maybe this is the eventual spot for our Whole Foods...

Defintely force the Moonies out of there. I'd still like to see another TV station move down there once Channel 3 leaves, maybe NBC 30 could move down there as part of a mixed- use facility.

I remember distinctly reading somewhere that a TV station was interested in moving into Front Street with a new studio. I think it was in the HBJ when they first profiled Nitkin.

• 1 year later...

Hello UP Hartford board members! I am from Providence and I work in the hospitality industry here in Rhode Island.

I was visiting relatives in the area over the holiday and I read the Hartford Courant article on the front page Christmas morning concerning the former Clarion Hotel property. The facts in the article were pretty stunning to me, considering the building's prime location close to the waterfront and great highway access.

So what should become of this place? Do you folks believe that the City of Hartford should (take a chance and) take the land and the building by Eminent Domain and then finance demolision, cleanup, and marketing for redevelopment? Could the property be creatively rehabilitated instead?

The author suggests that there is no real hope of redevelopment because the numbers simply can't work. I think that if the Hartford waterfront revitalization is real, this building would prove to be a great investment over the next decade. Is there an unspoken reason (political force or issues with the neighborhood) or otherwise significant underlying problem which is impeding redevelopment here?

You guys live in the city, so I'd like to know what you think. This is interesting to me and I'm looking forward to your responses.

Season's Greetings!

Ask the Procaciante (sp?) Group in Providence about developing in Hartford. They came here with a fistful of cash only to be given a plateful of union demands by City Hall. They went to Providence and invested there instead.

The Clarion is in rough shape and owned by a stubborn guy. Hartford currently has a hotel shortage and could use a few new hotels. Developers may be waiting until after the election to see if the city elects a more business friendly mayor.

If you read the article, you know the deal. The hotel is owned by a guy who is sitting on the property and wants 10 million for a building worth two to four million. He bought it for 1.5 million.

Hartford's problems are really Connecticut's problems. A state in a Democratic stranglehold that favors unions and punishes businesses. Until the state figures out that hurting employers isn't good for jobs, the same slow pace of growth (or even a decline) will continue.

Edited by beerbeer

If you read the article, you know the deal. The hotel is owned by a guy who is sitting on the property and wants 10 million for a building worth two to four million. He bought it for 1.5 million.

Hartford's problems are really Connecticut's problems. A state in a Democratic stranglehold that favors unions and punishes businesses. Until the state figures out that hurting employers isn't good for jobs, the same slow pace of growth (or even a decline) will continue.

Well Wal-Mart is still offering full time hours and no benefits to employees, so maybe we're not tough enough on business yet...

That Maharishi guy is scum. Something needs to be done about how that guy can just let the building rot without penalty.

With all due respect...the fact that the Connecticut legislature is controlled y the Democrats has NOTHING to do with the fact that the Clarion lies vacant. Hartford has suffered from lots of mistakes- which have been made under all sorts of legislatures. You are welcome to your politics, but blaming Hartford's problems on a political party is incredibly short-sighted.

Hello UP Hartford board members! I am from Providence and I work in the hospitality industry here in Rhode Island.

I was visiting relatives in the area over the holiday and I read the Hartford Courant article on the front page Christmas morning concerning the former Clarion Hotel property. The facts in the article were pretty stunning to me, considering the building's prime location close to the waterfront and great highway access.

So what should become of this place? Do you folks believe that the City of Hartford should (take a chance and) take the land and the building by Eminent Domain and then finance demolision, cleanup, and marketing for redevelopment? Could the property be creatively rehabilitated instead?

The author suggests that there is no real hope of redevelopment because the numbers simply can't work. I think that if the Hartford waterfront revitalization is real, this building would prove to be a great investment over the next decade. Is there an unspoken reason (political force or issues with the neighborhood) or otherwise significant underlying problem which is impeding redevelopment here?

You guys live in the city, so I'd like to know what you think. This is interesting to me and I'm looking forward to your responses.

Season's Greetings!

Welcome to the Hartford board. From what I've heard, this building is in serious disrepair. It also spans over a street, so I'd assume that would make structural repairs more difficult, not that I'd really know. What really should happen is the city take the property via eminent domain, give it to whomever controls Broadcast House, and make sure they put people there; whether apartments, condos, hotels, or preferably all three.....

I believe both the Clarion hotel and the WFSB building should be torn down. The city would then have a lot better luck getting a developer to build on this site which is a prime location. You are within walking distance to the convention center, Wadsworth, Civic center, and possibly a new arena.

In its location, I think a couple towers would work good. Tower one should be dedicated to residential and around 10-15 floors. The other tower could be a mixture of hotel/condo with 20-25 floors.

If the buildings are built correctly, there could be something similar to Rockefeller Center with a skating rink in the middle. Everone on this board has said this type of center would work well where the current civic center is, however I think doing it on the the WFSB/Clarion site with 2 new towers and Constiution plazza right next door would work well.

Edited by uconn99

I believe both the Clarion hotel and the WFSB building should be torn down. The city would then have a lot better luck getting a developer to build on this site which is a prime location. You are within walking distance to the convention center, Wadsworth, Civic center, and possibly a new arena.

In its location, I think a couple towers would work good. Tower one should be dedicated to residential and around 10-15 floors. The other tower could be a mixture of hotel/condo with 20-25 floors.

If the buildings are built correctly, there could be something similar to Rockefeller Center with a skating rink in the middle. Everone on this board has said this type of center would work well where the current civic center is, however I think doing it on the the WFSB/Clarion site with 2 new towers and Constiution plazza right next door would work well.

It could work in either spot, they would be similar ideas; 2 towers, rink and open space in the middle. I think the only difference would be the gap over Kinsley St.

Welcome to the Hartford board. From what I've heard, this building is in serious disrepair. It also spans over a street, so I'd assume that would make structural repairs more difficult, not that I'd really know. What really should happen is the city take the property via eminent domain, give it to whomever controls Broadcast House, and make sure they put people there; whether apartments, condos, hotels, or preferably all three.....

I agree with you, MVlad. This would be a more than justifiable use of eminent domain.

That whole section of Constitution Plaza has been screwed up over the years. The Clarion is positioned awkwardly under pedestrian overpasses that were added years later when HSB and the Uniprise buildings were built. These overpasses also all but killed pedestrian traffic on Columbus Blvd. and actually made the main entrances to these building 3 stories up. I'd like to see them tear down the overpasses, the hotel and WFSB and start over with a new fresh design that will enhance this area at the street level as well as the plaza level. What we have now just doesn't work.

This area has so much potential. I think the city should go ahead and try to get the property by eminent domain. My only fear is that after the city may set out an RFP (Request for Proposals) and hand pick someone and take all this time...and create a similar situation to Front Street.

Personally, yes condos would be perfect in this location because the rest of the new residential units in downtown are closer to the park and the Civic Center or by the Colt building...not by Adriaens Landing..yet that is (Front Street). But we need to occupy the residential units that are already coming on board in this city before we make huge new proposals.

There is a hotel shortage and the Clarion site could be a perfect place for a botique hotel for the city. An idenpendantly owned and operated one similar to the Hotel Providence near the Providence Performing Arts Center in downtown Providence.

This area has potential and we cannot just sit here...