Developer Offers to Buys Three GRPS Schools

ModSquad

Developer offers to buy 3 GRPS Schools

This could get interesting if it comes to fruition. To me interesting on many levels:

-Will this actually happen?

-What will the neighbors say? Some are already lining up in opposition.

-What does this mean for these specific Grand Rapids neighborhoods?

-Will this spur more interest for potential development other than downtown?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Developer offers to buy 3 GRPS Schools

This could get interesting if it comes to fruition. To me interesting on many levels:

-Will this actually happen?

-What will the neighbors say? Some are already lining up in opposition.

-What does this mean for these specific Grand Rapids neighborhoods?

-Will this spur more interest for potential development other than downtown?

I don't see why people would oppose turning them into apartments. what else would they suggest? I think it would be a mistake not to unload these. the offer is not that low considering the current market and when one of the schools has been available for 4 years it is not like developers are beating a path to the GRPS door.

The two ladies on FOX17 last night were opposed to low cost, and section 8 housing. They just seemed to not want the area to be brought down so GRPS can unload some empty buildings. I don't remember them being asking about their feelings of mid to high cost apartments.

I'm hopeful this happens, is a success, and everyone ends up happy. I went to Eastern in the mid 90's. It's sad to have seen it empty for this long. It is a beautiful building inside. And I've long thought it would make a good housing project. There is an almost new playground if maintained it could attract young families and there is definitely room for additional parking.

Archived