West Point, Georgia

aboutmetro

I decided to start a topic for West Point. The small town of about 3,300 pop. (2000 census) straddles the Chattachoochee River at the state's western most point (hence the name). South of West Point, the Chattahoochee forms the border between Georgia and Alabama. West Point was once a textile manufacturing hub, and is now home to Kia Manufacturing, a Hyundai company located on the I-85 corridor just north of downtown West Point. The majority of West Point is in Troup County, Georgia, with a substantial portion inside Harris County, Georgia. As a member of the Valley Partnership economic development consortium headquartered in Columbus, Georgia, West Point is economically more aligned with Columbus, and, more recently Auburn/Opelika due to the distribution of Kia suppliers along the I-85 corridor.

Please feel free to post any news items regarding West Point, Kia, etc here.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atlanta Christian College announced February 2, 2010 moving its main campus to West Point, Georgia from its present 54-acre campus in East Point, GA, just south of Atlanta. The move includes a name change to Point University. The college presently has just over 1,300 students. It will occupy the former West Point-Pepperell textile manufacturer's headquarters. It students will us the Crest Club Apartment community in nearby Valley, Alabama.

Atlanta Christian College is affiliated with the Independent Christian Church/Church of Christ, a splinter group of the Church of Christ-Desciples of Christ Church. ACC is the oldest ICC affiliated church in the nation.

02academic2.jpg

Former West Point-Peperrell Headquarters, now Point University main campus

West Point is about to give Troup County another TAD redevelopment area (what is a TAD?). The City of West Point's website has a little information about the 10th Street Redevelopment Plan. From what I understand, the are goes from the SR 18 interchange at I-85 west into downtown West Point. No other details about what might be included in the plan. But interested partices can contact planners from that webpage with your ideas.

Archived