Martha Stewart

Guest donaltopablo

Do you think her 10 months is right?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think her 10 months is right?

• No, too harsh
    • Yes, just right
    • No, needed more jail time
    • No, where is the electric chair
    • Martha who?

Guest donaltopablo

Just curious what everyone thinks?

I noticed she's on a PR campaign thanks to all of the negative press she got from some of her reactions. Also, something I haven't heard much in the media, should could have completely avoided jail time by accepting responsbility for her actions and simply spent some time on house arrest. Of course, that would have ruined her chances for appeal.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tell you I dont know........I think its clearly possible that the government set her up to get her to lie. Dont forget, she not going to jail because of insider trading. Shes going to jail because she lied to the government. But it was a setup. The Government knew she wasnt guilty of insider trading.

Guest donaltopablo

This was a diversionary tactic to take focus off the true "evil doers" in this country.

Your joking right?

I tell you I dont know........I think its clearly possible that the government set her up to get her to lie. Dont forget, she not going to jail because of insider trading. Shes going to jail because she lied to the government. But it was a setup. The Government knew she wasnt guilty of insider trading.

How was this a setup? They twist her arm to lie to investigators :lol: If she didn't do anything wrong, why did she need to lie.

People need to learn to take responsibility for their actions, stop trying to blame the government everytime they get in trouble.

I think that the sentence is fair considering the charges.

However, its the charges that I question. I think something else was definately going on there, because it just doesn't seem right to be convicted of lying about a crime that she wasn't accused of in the first place.

Martha Stewart made what? a few hundred thousand off her stock sale? or was it even that?

Considering what kind of crimes are going on, under the table stock sells are not what our nation's judicial system should be focusing on.

What about going after the CEO's and upper management teams that shortchange their employees, steal money, and get away filthy rich when the company has people with devaluated 401k's not worth enough to retire on after a lifetime's worth of work.

Does she deserve jail time? No - the bad publicity has been enough. Afterall, her crime was selling stock on insider advice. Not hurting others...

I'd also like to point out that we dont know what she actually lied about. She could have lied to a question to protect someone else or it could have been a question that didnt directly have anything to do with the insider trading charges.

Guest donaltopablo

On the other hand they are doing relatively little to investigate and throw people in jail who truely harm other people through corporate and government abuses of power.

I hear that a lot. But most of those haven't even gone to trial yet. And if they do, they face much harsher sentances. As an example, Enron CFO Fastow will get a 10 year sentance and he plea bargained. His wife got 12 months in prision, more than Martha, and she plea bargained. And this isn't even the chairman or the CEO. Which others have been charged and convicted got off easier? Martha, but fighting the charge and not accepting resonponsbility for her actions, something that gives you points in your favor on the sentenancing guideline, likely would have made her elligable for just house arrest and probation.

As for the government going after her, honestly, she probably did get caught up in the whirl wind of charges brought against CEOs... but she did it, didn't she? At least the jury seemed to think so.

Archived