Official EBR Population

all2neat

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like my estimate from back in March was right about EBR ;)

Livingston should be about 125,000 & Ascension around 110,000...EBR maybe 440,000

If BR urban-proper were annexed the way I think it should be it would have at least 270,000...and as many as 305,000...as it stands now I would say at least 240,000

Looks like my estimate from back in March was right about EBR ;)

BR is 229,553.....0.7% gain. That makes an official population gain for every census for the last 100 years, although relatively stagnant since the oil bust in the 1980s. Just forget about annexing. No one in the potential area would vote for it...you'd have a better chance of dissolving the city's charter and creating one giant unincorporated parish (outside of Central, Baker, and Zachary) with about 390,000 residents.

800,000 people in the metro area makes Baton Rouge a "large" market to many retailers.

Someone may have to check my math, but this also means that there will be at least two additional state legislative seats added to the Baton Rouge delegation, with the unfortunate loss of between 3 and 4 in the New Orleans area. That means more focus on regional infrastructure funding from the state- which has been lacking for at least the last 50 years.

Antrell,

I think that would be great, but a lot of areas would never go for it. I don't get that attitude. Shenandoah last year was rumored to be wanting to incorporate and separate itself a lot like central did so they can keep their tax dollars closer to home.

I understand this too especially after Central and Zachary are independent of EBR school board, but this would open us up to more companies. I don't see how Shenandoah could separate itself, it's a neighborhood, not a town., I realize it's on the edge but that would just make us smaller and the area around Jones Creek, O'neal, Coursey, and I-12 are too developed to separate in my opinion.

I understand this too especially after Central and Zachary are independent of EBR school board, but this would open us up to more companies. I don't see how Shenandoah could separate itself, it's a neighborhood, not a town., I realize it's on the edge but that would just make us smaller and the area around Jones Creek, O'neal, Coursey, and I-12 are too developed to separate in my opinion.

How on earth would my neighborhood joining Baton Rouge result in opening us up to more companies?

How on earth would my neighborhood joining Baton Rouge result in opening us up to more companies?

Increasing the city population to what the parish population is: 440,00. I'm no expert so excuse me if I'm not right but if us hitting 800,000 opens us up to be considered a large market then wouldn't it do the same for the city?

Oh, I see what you mean now. That could be possible, and i think voters would consider it if there were better public services to offer (police, fire, schools)....but that's not the case except for maybe fire protection.

• 1 month later...

I think we will hit 1,000,000 in 15 years, sooner if the economy recovers and we grow and improve like we're trying to do. City population, I think that will take alot more redevelopment and some sort of gentrification. No one wants to live IN Baton Rouge anymore. Schools and crime has to improve, and the neighborhoods, workforce, as well as traffic.

BR would already have approx. 300,000 if annexed properly...I'll have to dig up my old post to give you those figures...as it stands now would only expect BR to gain slightly like a trickle...some worry about it going into decline like NOLA, Detriot, Cleveland did in the past..maybe just not as dramatic.

Mobile city population has never been larger than BR's...til now..the latest 2010 Census reports have Mobile's pop ahead of BR's! However Mobile's city limits encompass 118 sq. miles to only 77 for BR...BR would be larger than Mobile if it annexed that much land!

The metro area should continue to make healthy gains; I have trouble envisioning 1 mill

BR would already have approx. 300,000 if annexed properly...

Once again, who cares? Memphis has been doing this to chase it's tax base, and people keep moving out because of crappy government policies. The farther away people move out, the more expensive it is to live there and the less competitive the region becomes (economically). Fed Ex isn't even in town anymore because their employees all live in Germantown or Collierville (where schools and public services are better and taxes are lower). Memphis is a perfect example of failed social and political policies....as is Detroit, Cleveland, etc. The city annexed an area with about 30,000 residents about 8 years ago, yet only showed a nominal gain in population in 2010.

I honestly think the best thing for Baton Rouge (in this respect) is to dissolve it's city charter and have one giant unincorporated area....free to separate into numerous small municipalities under one "East Baton Rouge" parish government. The residents could enjoy their own school districts- and that would truly eliminate any need to move to the suburbs and make East Baton Rouge more competitive. I believe that would be the truly progressive thing to do.

Baton Rouge will be more competitive when residents have access to good public schools, reasonable taxes, and access to safe and affordable housing. Once BR has that, then everything else will fall into place. We'll get the new companies, the cool bars, the quality of life improvements, the better tax base, and reduced traffic congestion.

Right now, the city of Baton Rouge is in decline. Annexing won't help, and chasing the tax base will only prolong the inevitable...and is nothing but an admission of a failure of public policy.

Good points Cajun...so are you saying places like a Shenandoah or Village St.George or Oak Hills place should become like Central,Zachary or Baker with their own separate school system?? Would incorporating these areas in SE BR create friction?? Wouldn't property taxes remain the same?? Please educate me here...

Also...about the 300k...I was simply replying to steve3n8's ??question if BR City pop. would reach 300k by the year 2020..I'm was basically saying technically it already does.It might be silly, but I do care that BR is Ranked Larger as a "City"...though Metro Totals are more important.

Antrel...Here were the figures from City Data numbers from the 2000 Census:

Baton Rouge 227,818

* Shenandoah - 17,070 (probably more now)

* Merrydale - 10,427

* Gardere - 8,992

* Oak Hills Place - 7,996

* Village St.George - 6,993

* Old Jefferson - 5,631

* Brownfields - 5,222

* Inniswold - 4,944 (little more now)

* Monticello - 4,763

* Westminster - 2,515

* Millerville - 2,500 (unofficial)

> Add all those places up and you see BR becomes much larger adding roughly +77,000 more people.

Then BR's urban population totals are more like 305,000

I stand corrected...Mobile's 2010 Census has them slightly losing pop; so it's not larger than BR....and neighboring Baldwin Co doing a Livingston/Ascension

Archived