Official EBR Population

all2neat

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That area can be improved with a bulldozer

I think it's seriously limiting the prospects of developing LSU's south campus.

Good points Cajun...so are you saying places like a Shenandoah or Village St.George or Oak Hills place should become like Central,Zachary or Baker with their own separate school system?? Would incorporating these areas in SE BR create friction?? Wouldn't property taxes remain the same?? Please educate me here...

I imagine that it could be similar to Zachary or Central....parishwide property taxes, plus whatever that district wants to support their own schools.

I'm just saying that I have experience with market feasibility studies, and when business look to locate, they pull up demographic information for their immediate market area, which often have absolutely nothing to do with where municipal lines are. Baton Rouge city limits alone gerrymander more than the new 6th congressional district.

If we were to create a situation where neighborhoods that share a common backbone (like Sherwood-Broadmoor, for instance...or perhaps Southdowns) could create their own municipalities, and run their own schools if they wish. We could eliminate any reason for people to leave the urban area in East Baton Rouge as it exists today (public safety, schools, etc). It would be a pretty progressive way to attack urban sprawl.

Measures like this could keep the population base in East Baton Rouge....thus helping support neighborhoods that might currently be in distress while reducing the negative consequences of sprawl. Development would become more dense, infill would happen in areas that had their act together, and neighborhoods would be more free to push their own agenda (such as TIF for hotels downtown). 50 years down the road, I could see EBR easily supporting 600,000 or more people....and a good mix of professionals, middle class folks with kids, students, and retirees.

Thanks for the feedback..it does sound like a win-win situation! That a neat line of work you do cajun :thumbsup:

The average out-of-towner passing thru BR has a hard time believing Bluebonnet/Mall of La/Perkins Rowe/Siegen is not part of the city limits...

Archived