NC 2010 Census Data

Urbanity

Louisville has been consolidated with its county for some time now. I think for the official numbers the Census uses the balance. Which is the consolidated area minus incorporated places. When you do this, Charlotte is still ahead of Louisville.

Data for Kentucky show that the five most populous incorporated places and their 2010 Census counts are Louisville/Jefferson County, 741,096

http://2010.census.gov/news/releases/operations/cb11-cn99.html

That's about 10K more than Charlotte, which stands at 731,424.

Also, SC's numbers will be available tomorrow, so we'll have the final count for Charlotte's metro numbers.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Data for Kentucky show that the five most populous incorporated places and their 2010 Census counts are Louisville/Jefferson County, 741,096

http://2010.census.gov/news/releases/operations/cb11-cn99.html

That's about 10K more than Charlotte, which stands at 731,424.

Also, SC's numbers will be available tomorrow, so we'll have the final count for Charlotte's metro numbers.

Of course Kentucky will list that. It's bigger. The balance is actually around 570k. I'll post a link later.

SC's numbers are out.

York.............226,073

Lancaster........076,652

Chesterfield.....046,734

someone add up Charlotte's current MSA, lol.

York County had a net gain of 61,459 and 37.3% increase, the 2nd fastest growing county in SC after suburban Dorchester (Charleston MSA)

Rock Hill increased to 66 154, a net gain of 16 389 with a 32.9% growth rate and SC's 5th largest city.

Charlotte's MSA now stands at 1,758,038.

I was hoping that Rock Hill added enough people to have its name added back to the MSA designation, but apparently it was about 6K short or so. Looks like it will now be the "Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC MSA."

Charlotte's MSA now stands at 1,758,038.

I was hoping that Rock Hill added enough people to have its name added back to the MSA designation, but apparently it was about 6K short or so. Looks like it will now be the "Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC MSA."

I was also hoping for a Charlotte-Concord-Rock Hill designation myself. Kudos to Gastonia for continuing some growth. 2020 will be interesting. What are the chances of a Charlotte-Concord-Indian Trail?

I think some of areas that showed population loss can be explained in Charlotte. I.e. Census tract 11 is around Veteran Park off of Central Ave, mainly the Morningside and Briar Creek redevelopment. Back in 2000 those area had apartments building with people living in them, but those complexes were bulldozed for redevelopment which has stalled since the 2010 census. However some areas do have logical population loss, mostly blighted niegbhorhoods near industrial areas north of Uptown and other neighborhoods facing gentrification by looking at the racial changes.

I was also hoping for a Charlotte-Concord-Rock Hill designation myself. Kudos to Gastonia for continuing some growth. 2020 will be interesting. What are the chances of a Charlotte-Concord-Indian Trail?

That elusive 2MIL milestone still ia a ways off. Can anybody do a rough projection of when that might happen. I know there are a lot of variables but if conservative numbers are used how soon can the Charlotte MSA hit 2 million. Is it me or is that population mark very important when it comes to national recognition and sort of siganl that an area can be considered "major".

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone can help me figure this out:

The population for my neighborhood courtesy of Charmeck.org pegs at 3,354 (http://www.charmeck.org/city/charlotte/nbs/communitycommerce/QOL/Profile%20Pages/44NorthCharlotte.pdf)

but I want to see the racial and ethnic breakdown so I checked the NY Times "Mapping America" tool

but that pegs my 'hood at only 2,015. (http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer)&search ZIP 28205 & Tract 14.

Ideas?

That elusive 2MIL milestone still ia a ways off. Can anybody do a rough projection of when that might happen. I know there are a lot of variables but if conservative numbers are used how soon can the Charlotte MSA hit 2 million. Is it me or is that population mark very important when it comes to national recognition and sort of siganl that an area can be considered "major".

I'll go ahead and take a stab at a projection. From 2000-2010 the Charlotte MSA grew by roughly 450k. Which comes out to 45k annually. I'll cut that rate in half. So let's guesstimate that the MSA adds 22,500 ppl per year. Charlotte needs 250k people roughly to break the 2million milestone. Which would put 250k ÷22,500. Meaning by 2021 the current 6 county Charlotte MSA halting growth to half its rate would need 11 years to break that mileston. Considering how Mecklenburg county adds 25k a year itself, I see the 2 million milestone happening at 2015 or so. But for sure by 2021.

I was wondering if anyone can help me figure this out:

The population for my neighborhood courtesy of Charmeck.org pegs at 3,354 (http://www.charmeck.org/city/charlotte/nbs/communitycommerce/QOL/Profile%20Pages/44NorthCharlotte.pdf)

but I want to see the racial and ethnic breakdown so I checked the NY Times "Mapping America" tool

but that pegs my 'hood at only 2,015. (http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer)&search ZIP 28205 & Tract 14.

Ideas?

I'm just not using this tool right. Because there is a DIFFERENT NY Times map in the same study that pegs the population at a totally different number: 2607. (http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/map?hp)& seatch ZIP 28205 & Tract 14. On top of that, the racial projections are totally different percentages. WTF?

I'm totally frustrated.

I'll go ahead and take a stab at a projection. From 2000-2010 the Charlotte MSA grew by roughly 450k. Which comes out to 45k annually. I'll cut that rate in half. So let's guesstimate that the MSA adds 22,500 ppl per year. Charlotte needs 250k people roughly to break the 2million milestone. Which would put 250k ÷22,500. Meaning by 2021 the current 6 county Charlotte MSA halting growth to half its rate would need 11 years to break that mileston. Considering how Mecklenburg county adds 25k a year itself, I see the 2 million milestone happening at 2015 or so. But for sure by 2021.

Thanks for that estimate. 2mil is the point which a metro becomes a true national player. charlotte is a nationalplayer now but as far as certain retailers and commercial investments it still fighting to get there. Looking at some other metros at or around 2mil Charlotte would be in some decent company. some of which Charlotte has more weight than they do. I cant forget the Triangle also. The state could have two 2mil MSA in about ten years time. Who would have thought that 30 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that estimate. 2mil is the point which a metro becomes a true national player. charlotte is a nationalplayer now but as far as certain retailers and commercial investments it still fighting to get there. Looking at some other metros at or around 2mil Charlotte would be in some decent company. some of which Charlotte has more weight than they do. I cant forget the Triangle also. The state could have two 2mil MSA in about ten years time. Who would have thought that 30 years ago.

I think once Charlotte breaks 2 million in the MSA it will definitely gets some more national recognition and perhaps more international recognition as well. According to current MSA definitions, Raleigh and Durham are separate. The milestone in this case for Raleigh is 1.5 million, in my opinion. I see this happening a little after 2020 or around 2020. I say by 2030 both Charlotte and Raleigh will bring NC to the front as an important state and both cities will be atop in national and international speheres of influence.

I say by 2030 both Charlotte and Raleigh will bring NC to the front as an important state and both cities will be atop in national and international speheres of influence.

There, fixed that for you.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Anybody find it strange that NC grew by 1.5 mil since the last census and yet we did not add any seats in the house or electoral college? Georgia grew by just 22,000 more than NC and yet it gained one in each. Hell, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Washington and SC all grew by less and gained a seat and a vote. This will remain true for the next three elections. If NC is growing in recognition, where is the love from the government?

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/Census10/HouseAndElectors.phtml

Archived