Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nashville_bound

Urbanophile Breakdown of Nashville

11 posts in this topic

I remember why I check in on the Urbanophile mostly for his fantastic Urbanoscope feature on the weekend rather than anything he writes himself. Clearly, his knowledge of Nashville and his firsthand experience of the city is lacking. Although first impressions are important and his were largely, um, unimpressed with the physical aspect of the city. And with that I can agree. But his dismissive tone of the cultural institutions, history and economic drivers is disappointingly lazy and uninformed. Maybe he should get a true native or Nashville enthusiast to take him on a tour of the city rather than a recent transplant living out in the burbs.

2 people like this

I remember why I check in on the Urbanophile mostly for his fantastic Urbanoscope feature on the weekend rather than anything he writes himself. Clearly, his knowledge of Nashville and his firsthand experience of the city is lacking. Although first impressions are important and his were largely, um, unimpressed with the physical aspect of the city. And with that I can agree. But his dismissive tone of the cultural institutions, history and economic drivers is disappointingly lazy and uninformed. Maybe he should get a true native or Nashville enthusiast to take him on a tour of the city rather than a recent transplant living out in the burbs.

Agreed - dismissive, uninformed and lazy are right on. It was as if he was complimentary on one hand and tearing down on the other.. I wonder how many Grammies the Cincinnati or Indianapolis Symphonies will take home tonight.. :whistling:

As for Germantown not seeming very "german", well, it does seem like a good German restaurant or beerhaus in the neighborhood would be nice, but, once again, he didn't bother to get any background on just why that area is called Germantown..

Still and all, interesting to get a visitor's first impression of our fair city, I suppose..

1 person likes this

Since much of the growth in the Nashville MSA comes from transplants, I'd think the key to finding out what's behind Nashville's success is to ask those who've moved here to make it possible.

Here's a hint at what Nashville doesn't have that other cities do:

" Property taxes in Illinois are insane. I pay about $14,000 a year ($1167 a month!) on a house worth about $650,000. Thus my property taxes are roughly 2.2% a year. Is this really 'owning' a house?" - Mish Shedlock

I'm sure a $650,000 home in the Chicago area is upper-middle class at best. Imagine a person in Crieve Hall living in a $400K home the size of a $650K suburban Chicago home paying $14,000 in property taxes? He's probably paying under $4000 in Nashville even after the recent hikes. Now just imagine losing maybe a quarter million in equity due to the housing collapse on top of that $14K property tax bill. Then add to all that the massive state income tax hike just proposed in Illinois.

Some more of the same from Portland, Oregon:

"Do we really own our property? I say we don't. We basically have a note that we can never pay off from the government. I will now have to pay around 550 a month for the right to own my house. Isn't that like a 100,000 dollar note that can never be payed off? Why own property in these cities? Why live here? That is what my wife and I are starting to face. We like our neighborhood and the city in general, but if may be time to leave."

It's not just the absence of an income tax that makes us attractive. Property taxes in surrounding counties, if I'm not mistaken, are lower than Nashville proper, so that keeps Nashville's rates somewhat capped.

2 people like this

From a transplant. I moved here 7 years ago because the company I worked for was closing the facility I worked at. They offered me a job here with a nice relo package. We have 4 facilities here and we are growing. I was living in Charlotte, which was in explosive growth mode. No, Nashville was not on the same pace as Charlotte, but Charlotte is certainly paying for that growth now. Steady growth, to me, is much more sustainable. So, I moved from one sunbelt city to another. I have also lived in PA and OH. Weather played an important part of relocating. This winter has me thinking I'm not far enough south. I live in a neighborhood that has people from other states, people from either end of this state and people from many parts of the world. Hard to find native Nashvillians. I have met a few. My next door neighbors are from Nigeria by way of Dallas. The draw is health care industry, music and manufacturing. Oh and affordable housing. Not many cities can boast the group of honky tonks and restaurants on Broadway. They try desparatley to recreate it. But that never really works. Taxes - I moved here and got a noticable raise immediately. So, I voluntarily tax myself by buying more goods.

2 people like this

Ok, so my leftover margaritas from the weekend are a bit stronger than anticipated as I read through this, so I will keep this short and sweet: For something that was posted relatively recently, there's a lot this guy just simply didn't entertain when talking about our city. To call Cleveland a hub for healthcare is a joke, at best, and his casual looking-over of cultural and historical significances is simply uninformed.

Next time, get a real guide. To be "surprised" by any of his experiences truly tells me there was bias to begin with.

I do not disagree about the bias. But, The Cleveland Clinic is a world renowned hospital. Perhaps that was what he was refering to. Cleveland is not headquarters to large health care companies.

1 person likes this

Edit: Double post. This keeps happening. I wonder if anyone can tell me what I might be doing wrong.

I think it was a fair assesment in a lot of ways, but I think the "no particular unique industry or assets" comment is actually funny. Was he here? Did he talk to anyone? Nashville is the center of the healthcare industry. It's also huge in the God business, and music/entertainment. Culturally, if he doesn't see that we're different that Indy, Cincinnati, et al he didn't look very hard. Lower Broad is more alive and distinctive than about anywhere in America, the sheer number of musicians and artists creates an unparalleled creative and artistic atmosphere, and we have more celebs than anywhere except NYC or LA.

After moving to Dallas I see more and more just how distinctive and unique Nashville is. Most cities you pass through and are generally the same but we have an identity that is strong and unlike any other.

PS. I think Austin is horribly overrated. I had really high expectations and was hoping to see a Texan Nashville, but what I saw was a grimey knock-off.

1 person likes this

I think it was a fair assesment in a lot of ways, but I think the "no particular unique industry or assets" comment is actually funny. Was he here? Did he talk to anyone? Nashville is the center of the healthcare industry. It's also huge in the God business, and music/entertainment. Culturally, if he doesn't see that we're different that Indy, Cincinnati, et al he didn't look very hard. Lower Broad is more alive and distinctive than about anywhere in America, the sheer number of musicians and artists creates an unparalleled creative and artistic atmosphere, and we have more celebs than anywhere except NYC or LA.

After moving to Dallas I see more and more just how distinctive and unique Nashville is. Most cities you pass through and are generally the same but we have an identity that is strong and unlike any other.

PS. I think Austin is horribly overrated. I had really high expectations and was hoping to see a Texan Nashville, but what I saw was a grimey knock-off.

Good points! So many cities try to "create" an entertainment district and they all seem so artificial. Lower Broadway, with all it's warts, is unique and genuine. As for Austin...they take that motto "Keep Austin Weird" just a little too seriously. (There are some freaky folks walking the streets in broad daylight in that town, claiming the title of ARTIST.)